Can you use DDR3 Ram on Ryzen builds?

Sorry this may sound like a stupid question, this is the first time I'm building a pc for my son I was wondering in a lot of the videos in ryzen builds I keep hearing Linus say DDR4 Ram. When I check best ram for price on YouTube it was recommending DDR3 as well, I was wondering can I get DDR3 Ram for it as it seems cheaper

Ryzen does not support ddr3 , and there hasn't been a CPU that supports it since the 4 year old 4790k

(before i get corrected by some smart*ss , yes the 7700k DID support DDR3L , but not technically ddr3 , compatible boards were rare and it wasn't really optimized for it ).

Unfortunately , you'll need to get ddr4 . Although i'm confused which videos recommended ddr3 , how old were they ?

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

3 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

Unfortunately , you'll need to get ddr4 . Although i'm confused which videos recommended ddr3 , how old were they ?

Seems he just searched 'cheapest ram' on youtube or something to that effect.

As for the OP, I would never really push someone away from building their own PC, but it seems you need to do a good bit more research, stick to reputable CURRENT sources.

Ryzen 9 3950x - 64 GB DDR4 - NVME 980 pro SSD - EVGA RTX 3080 FTW Ultra - FAD CASE

Full custom loop / links below out of date

LTT Build Log | PCPP Build Log

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry if I stop responding, I've probably gotten busy as I mostly am only on here while working.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________