2018 MacBook Pro parts won't be available until September | Any major issues will require a full new machine

AlTech

I think this will affect most MacBook Pro users, for any major issue will require a new machine. According to what I have read, replacement keycaps won't be ready until August, and other parts including major components like displays and the motherboard, won't be ready to ship to stores until late September. But in the meantime, Apple stores and authorized service providers will still be able to provide some repairs on-site in the interim depending on the severity of the problem. These will require the patience of some customers to wait longer, as the machines may need to be shipped to a central depot for repair if replacement is not authorized for whatever the reason. Also, Apple said that the situation is standard following a new model launch of MacBooks.

2 hours ago, Commodus said:

It doesn't say much about the actual value, since most any large company can afford to eat some total system replacements; it may say something about the profit margin.  However, you're purposefully overlooking a point here: Apple can also diagnose and replace a system on the spot if there's a serious fault.  You can have a new, fully functional computer within minutes of the diagnosis.  If you depend on your own computer for a living, and many do, whatever you paid extra for a Mac just became worthwhile.

When your Dell/HP/etc. system breaks, what typically happens?  You spend an hour or two on the phone with someone reading from a script, and if you're lucky you have the "privilege" of waiting days for a mail-in replacement.  You can get faster services like on-site support, of course, but then you're paying the premium you thought you were avoiding.  I have a friend who is still going through a process of multiple replacements for a crappy Dell gaming laptop, and that's meant multiple stretches of having to live with a broken machine.  If she depended on that machine for a living, she'd be out of a job.

Look, we get it -- you're an insecure person who has to attack Apple to feel better about his own choices.  Everyone but you sees it.  But wouldn't it be nicer if you just matured a bit and accepted that Apple products aren't for you, and that it's not as simple as claiming they're "overpriced af?"  I sure think so.

Not sure how pointing out that something is overpriced junk implies that im insecure. Perhaps you could elaborate on your psychoanalysis there.

26 minutes ago, Amazonsucks said:

Not sure how pointing out that something is overpriced junk implies that im insecure. Perhaps you could elaborate on your psychoanalysis there.

It's pretty simple: it's scientifically demonstrated that some people are psychologically compelled to defend products they buy, sometimes to an obsessive degree, because they experience the same neurological responses that they do with love.  You attack Apple not because your claims are valid (they're questionable at best), but because it's a 'threat' to your love affair with Android and Windows.  Oh, you'll lie and claim that's not true for you, but you have a demonstrated history on this forum of frothing at the mouth when someone even mentions Apple; if you really aren't insecure, why do you even chime in on these stories with such vitriolic remarks?

This isn't to say that Apple fans don't do it too.  Good grief, I'm tired of Apple fans who try to justify obvious design mistakes or pretend the company has mythical levels of reliability.  But here's the thing: a mature person understands that they can prefer something without having to downplay everything else.  I prefer a Mac and an iPhone (and can explain why I chose them in objective terms), but I would be happy to use certain Windows PCs and Android phones if you made me switch.  Unfortunately, right now it seems like you're still in that early phase of life where you can't just let others enjoy things that you don't use.

6 minutes ago, Commodus said:

It's pretty simple: it's scientifically demonstrated that some people are psychologically compelled to defend products they buy, sometimes to an obsessive degree, because they experience the same neurological responses that they do with love.  You attack Apple not because your claims are valid (they're questionable at best), but because it's a 'threat' to your love affair with Android and Windows.  Oh, you'll lie and claim that's not true for you, but you have a demonstrated history on this forum of frothing at the mouth when someone even mentions Apple; if you really aren't insecure, why do you even chime in on these stories with such vitriolic remarks?

This isn't to say that Apple fans don't do it too.  Good grief, I'm tired of Apple fans who try to justify obvious design mistakes or pretend it has mythical levels of reliability.  But here's the thing: a mature person understands that they can prefer something without having to downplay everything else.  I prefer a Mac and an iPhone (and can explain why I chose them in objective terms), but I would be happy to use certain Windows PCs and Android phones if you made me switch.  Unfortunately, right now it seems like you're still in that early phase of life where you can't just let others enjoy things that aren't your cup of tea.

Except that i hate Google and Microsoft as much as i hate Apple, therefore your argument falls flat. Please try again.

As to the latter part, you misinterpret my motives pretty profoundly. People who ruin the market with their ignorant purchasing, reinforcing a system of perverse economic incentives in a race to the bottom directly affect me. They make it more difficult for manufacturers of quality goods to thrive, and they either go out of business, raise prices or outsource and start declining in quality.

6 minutes ago, Amazonsucks said:

Except that i hate Google and Microsoft as much as i hate Apple, therefore your argument falls flat. Please try again.

So why do you seem to spend most of your time attacking Apple and not Google or Microsoft?  See, you're still trying to lie to both me and yourself.  You may hate things Google or Microsoft do, but your practical fixation is on Apple.

What faults are we looking at here? 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Part shortage shortly after launch of any product is pretty common.  The inventory is being vacuumed up to build new stuff vs. being warehoused to repair broken stuff.  

And for fuck's sake would people stop feeding the god damn Apple troll in this thread.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

7 minutes ago, Commodus said:

So why do you seem to spend most of your time attacking Apple and not Google or Microsoft?  See, you're still trying to lie to both me and yourself.  You may hate things Google or Microsoft do, but your practical fixation is on Apple.

Have you ever read what ive said about windows 10 or M$ in general? And my problems with google have to do with their corporate culture, censorship and denial of scientific evidence and evolutionary psychology as James Damore so eloquently demonstrated. But no one really brings that up so i havent commented on it.

Besides, most people know Microsoft, Facebook and Google are evil shitty companies. Amazon and Apple have this holier than thou following, which M$, FB and Google dont. 

4 minutes ago, Amazonsucks said:

Have you ever read what ive said about windows 10? And my problems with google have to do with their corporate culture and denial of scientific evidence and evolutionary psychology as James Damore so eloquently demonstrated. But no one really brings that up so i havent commented on it.

Besides, most people know Microsoft, Facebook and Google are evil shitty companies. Amazon and Apple have this holier than thou following, which M$, FB and Google dont. 

I'm not saying you've never been critical of others.

Also, yeah, the fact that you fell for and are clearly obsessed with Damore's sexist pseudoscience (and sorry, it is pseudoscience) pretty much explains everything.  You're not an astute observer, you're just looking for excuses to hate things.  Maybe once you've grown up a bit you'll learn some positivity and empathy.

1 minute ago, Commodus said:

I'm not saying you've never been critical of others.

Also, yeah, the fact that you fell for and are clearly obsessed with Damore's sexist pseudoscience (and sorry, it is pseudoscience) pretty much explains everything.  You're not an astute observer, you're just looking for excuses to hate things.

I suppose its not surprising that you have to dismiss decades of empirical data and common sense in order to preserve your extremely fragile world view. I suppose it explains everything i suspected youd easily reveal given a small prompting like the one i just gave you.

1 minute ago, Amazonsucks said:

I suppose its not surprising that you have to dismiss decades of empirical data and common sense in order to preserve your extremely fragile world view. I suppose it explains everything i suspected youd easily reveal given a small prompting like the one i just gave you.

I'm not going to sidetrack this thread further other than to say this: there isn't "decades" of empirical data (Damore revolved his junk science around one questionable study, which I've seen), and "common sense" frequently doesn't hold up under real scientific scrutiny.  Remember, people used to think it was common sense for women to stay at home while men earned the keep, but that was really just an attempt to rationalize existing behavior.

The main takeaway here: you're an incredibly hateful person.  And I'm not saying that in a typical internet forum way; I mean I'm genuinely saddened at how you rarely seem to express positive feelings or empathy.  I hope you can grow out of it and learn to actually respect others' choices, whether they're Apple product users or women programmers.

10 hours ago, dizmo said:

While I don't use their products, I know they're not garbage. Apple has some of the best build quality and design in the game. They also work perfectly fine for the majority of people that use them, otherwise their sales wouldn't be so high. They're overpriced because of brand recognition, yes, but they're not garbage.

I used to think this.  Sadly I've experienced too many expensive apple failures myself to believe it anymore.

This guy goes through the whole list and some of them even surprised me... like the fact that the "unibody" MBP was actually 2 pieces of cheap aluminum glued together.  It's long but worth a watch.  Anyway, this thread doesn't surprise me much.

xD wow.  Sounds like the iMac Pro all over again.  It's absolutely ridiculous that any company would operate like this, but the fact that it's a huge name that prides itself on quality service is even more insane.  Tack on the fact that these are marketed as "pro" machines - ie, for people who do real work and can't afford downtime - and it just goes completely off the comprehension scales.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.