The Q6600 Go Stepping resurrection

So the new (cheepo) PSU, ram and cables have come to resurrection my old beast. Going to use it to run Ubuntu so I can learn more about it. Going to have my main Windows pc and this old skool Ubuntu machine running at the same time so I can switch when ever I want and possibly use pip on my monitor and the mouse and keyboard software Linus always talks about to go between the two computers.

Wish me luck it's still works!!! ?

IMG_20180714_205528.jpg

Specs? Looks like a neat little project. RIP my Q6600 pfSense server

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

It's a 

Q6600 go stepping

(For now to test) 2gb ddr2800 Samsung memory.

Asus maximus formula motherboard

Nivida gtx570 graphics card

320gb Samsung hard drive 7200rpm and 16mb cashe (I remember this drive being the latest and greatest in the years of its release)

Ace 550w PSU (again just a cheapo to test it all still works)

Gigabyte 3d aurora case (I was actually in love with this case when I got it was very ahead of its time!)

1 minute ago, Mrcapdown said:

It's a 

Q6600 go stepping

(For now to test) 2gb ddr2800 Samsung memory.

Asus maximus formula motherboard

Nivida gtx570 graphics card

320gb Samsung hard drive 7200rpm and 16mb cashe (I remember this drive being the latest and greatest in the years of its release)

Ace 550w PSU (again just a cheapo to test it all still works)

Gigabyte 3d aurora case (I was actually in love with this case when I got it was very ahead of its time!)

Neat. Followed, I'm interested to see how this progresses

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

She/they 

Oh and a Asus silent knight cooler.

Again was amazed by this when I got it.

IMG_20180714_213945.jpg

Yeah I'll keep you updated.

I'm going to install windows 10 at first just to bench it against my main  pc just to see how it stacks up.

2 minutes ago, Mrcapdown said:

Oh and a Asus silent knight cooler.

Again was amazed by this when I got it.

IMG_20180714_213945.jpg

mmm, very cool

She/they 

I'm going to let you choose orbital buzzsaw. Do I stick with the old 120mm fans, old but are blue and red LEDs. 

Or.

Fit brand new enermax d.f pressure fans for better cooling?

IMG_20180714_214907.jpg

IMG_20180714_214913.jpg

IMG_20180714_214918.jpg

To be honest i'm looking to do a Q6600 build myself for an "Ultimate Windows XP" Gaming Rig, I have a graphics card already. 

Your build here is looking good :)! 

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

30 minutes ago, Mrcapdown said:

I'm going to let you choose orbital buzzsaw. Do I stick with the old 120mm fans, old but are blue and red LEDs. 

Or.

Fit brand new enermax d.f pressure fans for better cooling?

IMG_20180714_214907.jpg

IMG_20180714_214913.jpg

IMG_20180714_214918.jpg

Go with the better Enermax fans, not really an RGB guy despite the RGB system

She/they 

24 minutes ago, Sousuke said:

To be honest i'm looking to do a Q6600 build myself for an "Ultimate Windows XP" Gaming Rig, I have a graphics card already. 

Your build here is looking good :)! 

Thanks man. Yeah you should build it. Just because there older components don't mean there usedless and lets me honest most of the fun is build it all with your trusty ph2 driver

6 minutes ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

Go with the better Enermax fans, not really an RGB guy despite the RGB system

Ok cool I'll fit to of them to the back as I remember the front one dose something cool ?

1 minute ago, Mrcapdown said:

Thanks man. Yeah you should build it. Just because there older components don't mean there usedless and lets me honest most of the fun is build it all with your trusty ph2 driver

Just debating on what to build first, a Q6600 System or a P1-MMX System xD 

Btw Welcome to LTT Forums!

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

48 minutes ago, Sousuke said:

Just debating on what to build first, a Q6600 System or a P1-MMX System xD 

Btw Welcome to LTT Forums!

Got to be the q6600 it was an over clockers dream. And the one I learnt to overclock on.

Aswell we could both build a q6600 system of similar spec and with a similar graphics card.

Both overclock the hell out of all the components then benchmark and compare and see who got better results??

Lol sounds a bit long now I've re-read what I just typed but even still I'm game if you are? 

14 minutes ago, Mrcapdown said:

Got to be the q6600 it was an over clockers dream. And the one I learnt to overclock on.

Aswell we could both build a q6600 system of similar spec and with a similar graphics card.

Both overclock the hell out of all the components then benchmark and compare and see who got better results??

Lol sounds a bit long now I've re-read what I just typed but even still I'm game if you are? 

Might take me a while to get a system together as I have no parts for one at the moment, however when I do I'll be game.

2 minutes ago, Sousuke said:

Might take me a while to get a system together as I have no parts for one at the moment, however when I do I'll be game.

YEAH BOYYY!

Will be fun!

Just finished installing is all.

And guess what it booted first time!!!

And I completely forgot the first bios post screen I edited it years ago (and when I had a ATI card in it) 

To say my name and ATI logo.

LolIMG_20180714_233436.thumb.jpg.4a4c0d1c68cf8d8d3aad7ebf86058f63.jpg

Been nearly 45 minutes and its still installing windows 10 lmao.

On my new build it took about 5 to 7 minutes lol

15316109941515882411650762749964.jpg

3 hours ago, Mrcapdown said:

So it's all up and running. All working great a little slow but I think that due to only having 3gb of ram to stick in it.

BUT!

3gb or not I was overclocking this machine.

Got it running fine at 3.3ghz temps at around 40 and cinebench run with out a crash.

The anti was up to 3.4 then 3.5 all running cinebench like a dream and temps under 70 on load.

BUT! THEN

3.6ghz happened. 

Oh my!

Windows did not like it at all. Wanted to boot in to recovery and nothing else. So I dialed back the clock the the trusted 3.3ghz and still won't boot.

Even put bios back to stock and it still won't boot lol

Should of installed Windows 7 to test lol

3 hours ago, Mrcapdown said:

IMG_20180715_020351.thumb.jpg.33f103f1074e294d32c195389c82187f.jpg

IMG_20180715_013428.jpg

An Asus Commando? Wow thats a really legit mb. It was the board I really wanted back in the day but didn't have the funds for

6 hours ago, black0utm1rage said:

An Asus Commando? Wow thats a really legit mb. It was the board I really wanted back in the day but didn't have the funds for

It's an Asus maximus formula the first one was s good bored when I got it. I think it was the most expensive part to that bulid

A little update to the machine. I've just bought the memory in the picture for it to hopefully speed it up little. It has been over clocked to 3.3Ghz but is unstable after that. I think due to the cheap memory in it. 

Screenshot_20180716-180231.jpg

I have 2gb of 600 mhz ram... jesus fuck, nice little upgrade though :) 

My current code projects

--------------------------------

• C#/OpenGL ( using OpenTK graphics library API ) KnightsRealm ( unfinished, WIP plan on releasing on steam maybe a mobile port idk ) 2d topdown pixel art based game with medieval themes, sorcery, dragons, open world
  • C++ crypter ( if your into cryptography, I plan on releasing this on my website later :P
  • C#/OpenGL ( OpenGL for UI ) fan/light controller for my room w/ raspberry pi and some mechanical motors and stuff :D

Current repair projects

------------------------------

• My dreadful receiver ( a capacitor blew ) 
  • working on a PC from a client, CPU died within the system, seems like a short, replaced CPU and awaiting payment before I ship it back 
  • my old 1tb sas drive for my NAS, some blemishes or something on the PCB need to clear that back out, if it doesn't work i'll need to scrap it ( already backed up all my stuff thankfully )

If you want any software made, or stuff to be repaired give me an email! 
    mike.fernandez5138699@gmail.com

13 hours ago, InMiseryWeSeekPancakes said:

I have 2gb of 600 mhz ra

13 hours ago, InMiseryWeSeekPancakes said:

I have 2gb of 600 mhz ram... jesus fuck, nice little upgrade though :) 

Is that in you main system?

7 hours ago, Mrcapdown said:

Is that in you main system?

Well i only have one system so yes. :( 

My current code projects

--------------------------------

• C#/OpenGL ( using OpenTK graphics library API ) KnightsRealm ( unfinished, WIP plan on releasing on steam maybe a mobile port idk ) 2d topdown pixel art based game with medieval themes, sorcery, dragons, open world
  • C++ crypter ( if your into cryptography, I plan on releasing this on my website later :P
  • C#/OpenGL ( OpenGL for UI ) fan/light controller for my room w/ raspberry pi and some mechanical motors and stuff :D

Current repair projects

------------------------------

• My dreadful receiver ( a capacitor blew ) 
  • working on a PC from a client, CPU died within the system, seems like a short, replaced CPU and awaiting payment before I ship it back 
  • my old 1tb sas drive for my NAS, some blemishes or something on the PCB need to clear that back out, if it doesn't work i'll need to scrap it ( already backed up all my stuff thankfully )

If you want any software made, or stuff to be repaired give me an email! 
    mike.fernandez5138699@gmail.com

13 hours ago, Mrcapdown said:

Oh dear. Must be slow. Did you have any spare memory slots