Do all monitors have dead pixels?

John55

Dead pixels are a very common thing. I used to think that buying a high end monitor would at least reduce the risk of these pesky little fellas. I have replaced my 450 dollar monitor at least 4 times. Each one is almost PERFECT except for the fact that they have ONE dead, black, pixel in the VERY center of the screen. I don't understand, if dead pixels are sooo common then why is it that each gaming monitor I got was almost perfect except for 1 dead pixel? This may be out of anger but I honestly want to know, do all monitors have dead pixels but the people that say, "Mine is perfect", just didn't see them? Because the dead pixels on my monitors were kinda small while others were pretty bold and stuck out like a sore thumb. Do any of you guys have a good recommendation for a 144-240hz monitor that seems to have no dead pixels because this is just frustrating.

Not all monitors have dead pixels. I believe that they are in fact om the rarer side. With some exceptions offcourse

I think you have been very unlucky, or that one specific monitor/panel has dead pixel issues plaging production

LCD manufactuers have tolerances in their QA, none have a zero tolerence ..tolerance though.

So yes, your going to get them no matter what. The higher the pixel count, the more likely you going to have some, but the hgher the pixle desnity, the less likely your going to notice them.

Stuck pixels can be more noticable than dead ones however.

Just another awesome thing about LCD tech -.-

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

Short answer, no. All monitors do not have dead pixels. Unfortunately it sounds like you've have a couple bad experiences in a row. Normally you can RMA a monitor if it was bought brand new and has a dead pixel. Dead pixels can come from shipping, poor packaging, or a manufacturing defect.

Main Rig: cpu: Intel 6600k OC @ 4.5Ghz; gpu: Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 2080 (OC'd); mb: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3; ram: 16 GB (2x8GB) 3000 G.Skill Ripjaws V; psu: EVGA 650BQ; storage: 500GB Samsung 850 evo, 2TB WD Black; case: Cooler Master HAF 912; cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Lots of fans, Air!; display: 4k Samsung 42" TV, Asus MX259H 1080p audio: Schiit Audio Magni Amp w/ Audio Technica M50x

I think you didn't get any replacement

They might be just pack it in new box and send it to you.

Well, aside from that, keep asking for replacement until you get what you want.

Thanks for all the responses, so should I just buy a monitor at a local store because all the ones from Amazon come in ripped boxes and one of my monitors actually had a freakin human finger nail stuck in between the panel and the foam. Do you guys have good recommendations for a gaming monitor because all the monitors I see either have horrible color or too expensive. 200-400 price range. 

I so far do not have a single tv or monitor with dead pixels... I have purchased 2 devices with dead pixels in the past and I have returned both of them. Dead pixels would annoy me to no end every time i looked at the display. So I just make sure to return them until I get one that is perfect.

Well, dead pixels are definitely a shitty thing...

My monitor setup before was 2 22 inch full HD AOC  monitors and both had one pixel dead, which really sucked.

After years of enduring it, I went for samsung 32" 1440p one and god, I was so worried it would come with dead or stuck pixel right out of the box. Thankfully, not one pixel is bad and it is beautiful.

Even though I get it is a big headache, especially if you are as unlucky as you are, it is in my opinion worth it, to shop for so long until you find one with none faulty pixels at all.

So are perfect monitors more common than dead pixels monitors then? So basically I just have bad luck?

And I still would like a recommendation for a monitor 144-240hz, 200-400 dollars with good color. Also, is Gsync needed on a 144 or above display because I believe the frames are sooo small that you barely would notice screen tearing.

7 hours ago, John55 said:

So are perfect monitors more common than dead pixels monitors then? So basically I just have bad luck?

Let me put it this way.

If perfect monitors were the majority, you would see more "zero dead pixel garuntees", and garuntees for far less dead pixels than what you currently get.

The reason you dont get those is simply becouse perfect monitors with 0 dead/stuck pixels and sub pixels, are the minority.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |