Final Thoughts on PC Build

WadeM518

Hello everyone, I am asking for some final thoughts on my PC build before I pull the trigger on it.  I am looking for suggestions of how to make it cheaper, how to get more power out of it, etc.  I am not looking to completely change to an AMD build or anything like that.  Thank you in advance, here is my build:  https://pcpartpicker.com/user/WadeM105/saved/dvPbjX

I know my peripherals might be expensive, but I've looked around and those are the ones I keep going back to.  Thanks :)

EDIT:  This is a $2,300 build, to be used for gaming and general use.  I prefer to use high settings on most games, including GTA 5 and Battlefield 1.  Perhaps some other ones.  NO Streaming, editing, rendering, or major multitasking.  The most multitasking I would be doing is having discord, chrome, and a game open at the same time.

8 minutes ago, WadeM518 said:

Are you trying to build a silence focused PC?

Should really forget those peripherals and just get like this $50 combo which will work fine for the time being.

https://www.amazon.com/Mechanical-Keyboard-Microphone-Redragon-Switches/dp/B06ZYH9WB5/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1525560837&sr=8-4&keywords=Redragon

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

something about a build costing 2300$ and still using an i5 really says a lot about where all the money went.

from what i can see the build is going to perform more like a 1000$ machine with overpriced peripherals that do not add any speed or enhancements to the experience. I almost get the feeling that it may have started as a 1000$ build and the rest of the budget was padded to get up to 2300

9 minutes ago, emosun said:

something about a build costing 2300$ and still using an i5 really says a lot about where all the money went.

from what i can see the build is going to perform more like a 1000$ machine with overpriced peripherals that do not add any speed or enhancements to the experience. I almost get the feeling that it may have started as a 1000$ build and the rest of the budget was padded to get up to 2300

>Only i5

>Forgetting that coffee lake i5's beat kaby lake i7s

This build is fantastic.

The emphasis on the GPU and the monitor will give you the best gaming experience for your money.

I would recommend going to a 650 watt PSU for a 1080ti, but the 550 would still be enough.

Solid choice of drives, this is probably the best build I've seen all day.

I edit the shit out of my posts.  Refresh before you respond.

It actually started as a $2,000 PC, but went up because of peripherals, literally everything there is somewhat because of suggestions by other people in this community, or the PCPartPicker community.  If you have any suggestions, that would be great, if not, you aren't being helpful.  Any ideas on other peripherals would be fine, but I couldn't find anything else I liked, and I like corsair as a brand.  Thanks.

3 minutes ago, Queen Chrysalis said:

>Only i5

This build is fantastic.

The emphasis on the GPU and the monitor will give you the best gaming experience for your money.

I would recommend going to a 650 watt PSU for a 1080ti, but the 550 would still be enough.

Solid choice of drives, this is probably the best build I've seen all day.

Thank you very much!  I will take a look at the a 650W PSU, see how much more it is.

6 minutes ago, Queen Chrysalis said:

forgetting that coffee lake i7s beat coffee lake i5s

but nah go ahead and justify the 320$ peripherals  , watch me care

1 minute ago, emosun said:

The 8400 is plenty for gaming though.  Hell, the 8350k still doesn't bottleneck a 1080ti.  The extra $160 is better spent on getting a Gsync monitor for a gaming build.  

3 minutes ago, emosun said:

If you have any suggestions for new peripherals, or a better build cheaper that includes good peripherals, I would love to hear it.  If not, please stop replying to this thread.  Thanks in advance.

2 minutes ago, WadeM518 said:

If you have any suggestions for new peripherals, or a better build cheaper that includes good peripherals, I would love to hear it.  If not, please stop replying to this thread.  Thanks in advance.

wow i didn't even respond to you it was directed at someone else. thats why i didn't quote you. but jeez fine i'm gone

I'd rather buy the 8700 now and take a slower but better value graphics card, like the 1070ti. the 8400 isnt enough for staying at 144fps.

Upgrading the CPU in the future while staying on the same platform is always more risky, because that means dipping into used sites and facing scammers. On the other hand, GPU upgrade doesnt limit you with a socket (unless they ditch PCIe, something I dont expect) so you can get the newest and the greatest from retail stores instead.

Ignore these if you're rich enough to rebuild the system every 2-3 years, doesnt apply to you.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

7 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

I'd rather buy the 8700 now and take a slower but better value graphics card, like the 1070ti. the 8400 isnt enough for staying at 144fps.

Upgrading the CPU in the future while staying on the same platform is always more risky, because that means dipping into used sites and facing scammers. On the other hand, GPU upgrade doesnt limit you with a socket (unless they ditch PCIe, something I dont expect) so you can get the newest and the greatest from retail stores instead.

Ignore these if you're rich enough to rebuild the system every 2-3 years, doesnt apply to you.

Depends on the game.  A few games oddly had the 8400 maintaining a slightly higher framerate than the 8600k for raisins unknown.  Also, the 1440p monitor is going to put WAY more stress on the GPU, making the 1080ti a much more important piece of the puzzle.

8 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

Thanks for the suggestion, that is what I originally had, but in a post like this on the PCPartPicker forums, I was suggested to get a 1080Ti and downgrade to the i5-8400, which I know had great reviews for gaming, despite it not being unlocked.  I will take another look though, thanks.

EDIT:  I can get away without overclocking, so I will use the i7-8700, I can also keep that with the 1080Ti, while not buying a keyboard, I have a really cheap keyboard that can last me until I save enough for a gaming keyboard.  Would I need to upgrade to the Cryorig H7 to keep up with the temps of the i7?  

9 minutes ago, WadeM518 said:

Thanks for the suggestion, that is what I originally had, but in a post like this on the PCPartPicker forums, I was suggested to get a 1080Ti and downgrade to the i5-8400, which I know had great reviews for gaming, despite it not being unlocked.  I will take another look though, thanks.

EDIT:  I can get away without overclocking, so I will use the i7-8700, I can also keep that with the 1080Ti, while not buying a keyboard, I have a really cheap keyboard that can last me until I save enough for a gaming keyboard.  Would I need to upgrade to the Cryorig H7 to keep up with the temps of the i7?  

If you want to sure.  This (https://pcpartpicker.com/product/hyQRsY/be-quiet-pure-rock-slim-351-cfm-cpu-cooler-bk008) would probably be plenty though.  Also, you could make up for the 8700 by going with the Strafe RGB instead of the k95.  Its like 110, but I got mine refurbished with a 3 year warranty for 80.  Or go with the bundle StreetGuru posted.  TBH, your original build is fine but the 8700 would serve you well aswell.

3 minutes ago, Queen Chrysalis said:

If you want to sure.  This (https://pcpartpicker.com/product/hyQRsY/be-quiet-pure-rock-slim-351-cfm-cpu-cooler-bk008) would probably be plenty though.  Also, you could make up for the 8700 by going with the Strafe RGB instead of the k95.  Its like 110, but I got mine refurbished with a 3 year warranty for 80.  Or go with the bundle StreetGuru posted.  TBH, your original build is fine but the 8700 would serve you well aswell.

Thanks, the one thing I didn't like with the strafe was the white bottom/side of it.  The i5 was probably enough, but I had it in the budget, so it's probably fine.  Thanks for the help though :)

32 minutes ago, WadeM518 said:

You can get a better value build with Ryzen, same core/thread count for less anything compared to the i7.

Either way I'd forget G-sync and go for one of the IPS free-sync equivalents, as IPS is going to be better for daily use Vs a TN panel.

And you really don't need a 1080ti for that resolution if you just drop some settings like AA or Shadows. Next Generation GPUs are coming soon enough to replace it, Vega 56 or a 1070ti will be fine.

Saved about $500 vs your other list.

And if you aren't doing a silence focused build you should buy a case that actually has airflow. Basically anything with a mesh front.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qcwBr6
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qcwBr6/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor  ($190.26 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($127.36 @ Newegg Business)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($154.99 @ Newegg Business)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($69.85 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($57.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Sapphire - Radeon RX VEGA 56 8GB PULSE Video Card  ($484.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master - MasterCase MC500 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($79.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($77.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Monitor: Pixio - PX277-N 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor  ($419.99 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Mouse: Corsair - DARK CORE RGB Wireless Optical Mouse  ($79.99 @ Best Buy)
Headphones: Corsair - VOID PRO RGB (Black) 7.1 Channel  Headset  ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1833.28
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-07-11 18:29 EDT-0400

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

You can get a better value build with Ryzen, same core/thread count for less anything compared to the i7.

Either way I'd forget G-sync and go for one of the IPS free-sync equivalents, as IPS is going to be better for daily use Vs a TN panel.

And you really don't need a 1080ti for that resolution if you just drop some settings like AA or Shadows. Next Generation GPUs are coming soon enough to replace it, Vega 56 or a 1070ti will be fine.

Saved about $500 vs your other list.

And if you aren't doing a silence focused build you should buy a case that actually has airflow. Basically anything with a mesh front.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qcwBr6
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qcwBr6/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor  ($190.26 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($127.36 @ Newegg Business)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($154.99 @ Newegg Business)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($69.85 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($57.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Sapphire - Radeon RX VEGA 56 8GB PULSE Video Card  ($484.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master - MasterCase MC500 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($79.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($77.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Monitor: Pixio - PX277-N 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor  ($419.99 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Mouse: Corsair - DARK CORE RGB Wireless Optical Mouse  ($79.99 @ Best Buy)
Headphones: Corsair - VOID PRO RGB (Black) 7.1 Channel  Headset  ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1833.28
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-07-11 18:29 EDT-0400

Thanks for the reply, but as I stated above, I'm not looking to switch to an AMD build.  I have also looked into a case with a mesh front, but I much prefer the look of the Fractal Design Define C than the Meshify C for example.

10 minutes ago, WadeM518 said:

Thanks, the one thing I didn't like with the strafe was the white bottom/side of it.  The i5 was probably enough, but I had it in the budget, so it's probably fine.  Thanks for the help though :)

Yeah, no problem.  You will be VERY happy with the 8700 and a 1080ti.  

15 minutes ago, WadeM518 said:

Thanks for the reply, but as I stated above, I'm not looking to switch to an AMD build.  I have also looked into a case with a mesh front, but I much prefer the look of the Fractal Design Define C than the Meshify C for example.

Dunno man, I'd save $100 on the CPU given that performance is pretty close, and you get a few other bonuses with ryzen, like a possible 12 core CPU next year. Probably don't need that for just gaming though.

Should just use the stock cooler until you get like a big air cooler or 240mm AIO

Have you seen the View 31? it's relatively closed off but still has decent airflow.

Or there's this crazy thing if aesthetics are your focus.

Spoiler

if 7.1 channels worth of audio are not an absolute necessity and 2.0 channels are sufficient then the following headphones have astoundingly better frequency response at nearly half the price of the Voids: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/tpXfrH/lenovo-headphones-57y6605

Further checked on these headphones, and PC Parts picker is a bit misleading. Frequency response column there refers to the microphone.

Voids are much better.

Rawr.

26 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Dunno man, I'd save $100 on the CPU given that performance is pretty close, and you get a few other bonuses with ryzen, like a possible 12 core CPU next year. Probably don't need that for just gaming though.

Should just use the stock cooler until you get like a big air cooler or 240mm AIO

Have you seen the View 31? it's relatively closed off but still has decent airflow.

Or there's this crazy thing if aesthetics are your focus.

Thanks again, but I'm sticking with my case and Intel, I do not like the look of those two cases, the Define C is one of the best looking cases for me.  Sleek and simple.

17 minutes ago, Sernefarian said:

if 7.1 channels worth of audio are not an absolute necessity and 2.0 channels are sufficient then the following headphones have astoundingly better frequency response at nearly half the price of the Voids: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/tpXfrH/lenovo-headphones-57y6605

Further checked on these headphones, and PC Parts picker is a bit misleading. Frequency response column there refers to the microphone.

Voids are much better.

Thanks!  I'm probably going to stick with the void for the time being, I tried them on at Best Buy and they fit me really well.  I previously had the Logitech G230, before they broke.  I have glasses, and the G230s were very uncomfortable around my ears, so I prefer to try on headphones before buying them.  Thanks again.

5 minutes ago, WadeM518 said:

Thanks again, but I'm sticking with my case and Intel, I do not like the look of those two cases, the Define C is one of the best looking cases for me.  Sleek and simple.

And why not the R6 over the Define C? I think the R6 has a few extra things vs the C and it's not much more expensive usually.

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

And why not the R6 over the Define C? I think the R6 has a few extra things vs the C and it's not much more expensive usually.

The main reason I didn't get it was because it was a bit too expensive, and the only things it offered me was a lot more cable management space.  I don't need a bunch of drives, or have a huge AIO, or have a need for SLI.  I'll try it in my budget and see if I can fit it in though