Motherboard failed - Coffee or Ice?

My computer is still operational, just have SATA controller issues. complete driver replacement, windows reinstall, etc. Also moved around drives between ports. It's definitely a hardware failure.

Would rather not replace the motherboard without buying a new CPU, and can't have my computer down for an RMA....

So I'm not interested in debating anything I've already said up to this point. What I'm interested in is what i say next:

Should I pick up a new CPU now, or wait a few months until Icelake(9th gen, whatever it ends up being called).

Have we seen anything that 9th gen will actually be worth waiting? OR will be simply be another incremental upgrade over Skylake?

9th gen should have 8 core parts, however they will likely be something like a 9900k (with the 9700k still being a hex-core), and will thus be more expensive than the 8700k.

What do you use your computer for?

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

11 minutes ago, sazrocks said:

9th gen should have 8 core parts, however they will likely be something like a 9900k (with the 9700k still being a hex-core), and will thus be more expensive than the 8700k.

What do you use your computer for?

Gaming from basic FPS shooters, to demanding management and rts games running thousands of ai paths and tens of thousands of physics based shadows.

Video editing and rendering, typically 1440p up to 4k

Lots of photo editing.

CAD work, largely Inventor and Revit.

A healthy dose of everything. Several things actually bottleneck the CPU as is, including several games I play(Planet Coaster is largest example since it has no limits and will eventually hit the wall on any system, even the most beefiest)

My current setup is fairly close to yours, which is part of why I'm skeptical to upgrading to coffelake. Currently running a 6700k cooled under a Cryorig R1 Ultimate. Really disappointed about the SATA controller on the fritz, since its an Asus extreme board, but still probably going to go with asus for a new setup since everything else with them has been a great experience.

I'm glad to see new motherboards have 2 m.2. slots, but not that they have only 6 SATA ports. I already use 5 with 2x 4TB Ironwolf pros, a single 2TB Firecuda, an 850 evo, and a 860 evo. While I only use a single m.2 for a 960 pro.

If editing, you would be better off with Ryzen. The 2700X is solid, and if you have a big budget, the Threadripper 2nd gen should have 32 cores while costing $1500, so keep that in mind.

hi.

39 minutes ago, monarchco said:

Gaming from basic FPS shooters, to demanding management and rts games running thousands of ai paths and tens of thousands of physics based shadows.

Just give us the names of the more demanding games you play.

For everything else, just stay with intel. I wouldn't exactly call the 8700k an "incremental improvement" with the new cores and all that. 

At the end of the day, it's about whether you're angry enough with your current setup, to spend money to replace it.

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

12 minutes ago, AskTJ said:

If editing, you would be better off with Ryzen. The 2700X is solid

Why would I sacrifice single core capability for marginally more multi-core capability? Bottlenecking on a game and getting time dilation or slower fps or both is more of a problem than 100 minutes for a render that would take 80-90 minutes on a 2700X

12 minutes ago, AskTJ said:

Threadripper 2nd gen should have 32 cores while costing $1500

lol

8 minutes ago, NoRomanBatmansAllowed said:

Just give us the names of the more demanding games you play.

Already listed 1. Also stuff like Total War, really anything with a high ai load, or high physics load can be used as reference.