DRAM prices to rise slightly in 3Q18, NOOOOO!!!

GOD MAN
5 hours ago, Taja said:

Yup, unfortunately I can back it up. The IBGE (Brazilian institute of geography and statistics), released this info last year.

Well?

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

Well, everyone please just think for a moment. If the price continues to rise and especially rising by fake inflation of the pricing. Then the next thing that will happen is the DRAM prices will crash sooner or later and everything will repeat. This has been happening for years now for every computer component commodity.

well, there goes my wallet after promising my friend a gaming pc for his birthday :(

On 2018-07-05 at 6:40 AM, ScratchCat said:

Building up a cash buffer now to offset the fine later probably will be beneficial as the lawsuit will not be able to include current events in most cases.

I seriously hope that's not how that works because if it is, that's a complete failure of the legal system.  If they can get away with what amounts to a slap on the wrist, and/or mitigate the incoming fine in any way, then the problem has not been solved.  I'm certainly no lawyer so I have no idea how this kind of thing typically goes, but I can say how it should go:

1. First, they need to work out what prices should have been during this whole inflated period, right up to the time the settlement is reached, and calculate the difference between that reasonable level that it should have been, and what they actually were (henceforth known herein as "the difference")
  2. Then, the fine levied against these companies should equal X times the difference, where X is something over 1 (I'm thinking probably 1.5 - 2)
    1. Part of this money would go to fully refunding everyone who bought RAM during that time by the amount they overpaid
    2. Part of the money would go to paying for the logistics of doing that refund
    3. Part (and this should be something significant, like at least 0.5 of the difference) would go to the government or wherever fine money usually goes and would serve to make the fine hurt enough to discourage them from doing this again
  3. They would then (and hopefully this is obvious) be forced to return prices to what they should be
  4. Finally, they would be mandated to keep them reasonable forever more, lest they be fined again in the same manner and at a substantially higher multiple

Obviously this all hinges on establishing what a reasonable price is, but I know there are other laws and legal practices that rely on this kind of thing (licensing IP for one if I'm not mistaken) so it's not unprecedented by any means.

Maybe @jmart604 even has an opinion on this? :P  I'd love to hear it. (TL;DR There's price fixing lawsuits pending against several companies over their inflated RAM prices, and yet this news alleges prices are likely to rise in the near future.  What will the lawsuits likely result in?)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I'm just going to leave this here, This is what I paid in August 2016:

5b4376410acd5_Ramprice1.PNG.d9106ad1ab6c8a62ce584bf098914d0e.PNG

...And this is what the EXACT same RAM is now almost 2 years later:

5b4376417aa2a_Ramprice2.PNG.be8bafaa22c4295a3a37e6c80623aa96.PNG

SMH, That is almost 3X the original price!? I've been waiting for it to go back down since a few months after I first bought it so I can double my RAM... It is getting ridiculous out there! I can't remember when any other computer components ever raised this much in price, Hopefully there is a crash on memory prices soon like some of you have been saying could happen.

Main Rig: cpu: Intel 6600k OC @ 4.5Ghz; gpu: Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 2080 (OC'd); mb: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3; ram: 16 GB (2x8GB) 3000 G.Skill Ripjaws V; psu: EVGA 650BQ; storage: 500GB Samsung 850 evo, 2TB WD Black; case: Cooler Master HAF 912; cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Lots of fans, Air!; display: 4k Samsung 42" TV, Asus MX259H 1080p audio: Schiit Audio Magni Amp w/ Audio Technica M50x

1 hour ago, EarthWormJM2 said:

I'm just going to leave this here, This is what I paid in August 2016:

5b4376410acd5_Ramprice1.PNG.d9106ad1ab6c8a62ce584bf098914d0e.PNG

...And this is what the EXACT same RAM is now almost 2 years later:

5b4376417aa2a_Ramprice2.PNG.be8bafaa22c4295a3a37e6c80623aa96.PNG

SMH, That is almost 3X the original price!? I've been waiting for it to go back down since a few months after I first bought it so I can double my RAM... It is getting ridiculous out there! I can't remember when any other computer components ever raised this much in price, Hopefully there is a crash on memory prices soon like some of you have been saying could happen.

I don't know whether to be really thankful to be on Haswell and the cheaper DDR3 (as I want to go 16 GB shortly), or if I should be kicking myaelf for not waiting for Skylake and the (at the time) relatively inexpensive DDR4.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

On 7/4/2018 at 11:38 AM, Ryan_Vickers said:

I was quite confused when I read this but I guess the price fixing lawsuits are actually still underway and have not yet completed.  I'm sure once they do, prices will be back to normal.  Only a matter of how long that takes.  Odd that they'd push harder though... if a cop is trying to pull you over for speeding, it's usually not smart to speed up more.

https://youtu.be/BwDlobymMk0

Ram companies taking a note from Hunter S Thompson, speed up but put on your blinker ;)