Razer Blade GPU and Premiere Pro

Evil-I

Hi All,

Quick question given the LTT team know these laptops well and work with Premiere too!

I have an issue that Premiere is defaulting to using the intel integrated GPU rather than the discrete GTX1060 GPU for it's mercury playback engine.  So not only is it slow, it also means the CPU seems to heat up much more than should be necessary.

I've searched the Adobe forums and there are lots of posts about people having similar issues with many laptops and all in ones with both integrated and discreet GPUs.  There doesn't seem to be any real answer (other than complaining to Adobe as a bug or new required feature which I have done). It has been suggested that premiere can only use GPU0 and that is by default the integrated rather than the discreet. The other theory is that premiere chooses the GFX option with the most memory and that as the integrated can share the system memory this typically is higher than the discreet graphics memory hence defaulting to the integrated intel gfx.

So laptop specs

Razer Blade (Late 2016 model)

Windows 10 pro (latest 1803 with all updates)

Latest Nvidia drivers (398.11)

Adobe Premiere Pro 2018 (fully updated)

Any suggestions much appreciated!

E-I

Go to nividia control panel,  "manage 3d settings".

Then select "program settings" and find your program. Then instead of auto, choose "use Nvidia high performance graphics" for this program. Click apply.

This should work maybe, it works for games.

Also make sure in the premiere settings that it is set to use the discrete gpu acceleration.

Hi ,

Thanks for the responses.

Had already tried the nvidia control panel settings. no change.

There is only the option to either have mercury playback engine (hardware) or mercury playback engine (software) not an option to chose which GPU the mercury hardware option is using.

Here's the adobe forum post with most relevant information.

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2411343

Thanks again,

E-I

27 minutes ago, Evil-I said:

Had already tried the nvidia control panel settings. no change.

Not even if you set the dGPU as the global default one instead of just a per-software basis?

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

I did by app, so will check in the morning if global makes any difference.

Thanks!

nope.... didn't help

For whatever reason Cuda activity in premiere isn't being perceived as 3D workload and therefore not being pushed to the nvidia gfx.