Getting "Out of range" message on my asus monitor after attempting to overclock

Axello

So I think I just broke my monitor, I cant even load to windows, which means I cant fix the problem. Does anyone here know how I can reset my monitor or something? I did the overclock using CRU, 74hz was alright but 75hz didnt cut it after restarting my PC, I guess this is another "Icarus flew too close to the sun" stories..... 

oh and btw none of the monitor buttons work either

if you are getting out of range, it cant be overclocked that far.. not all monitors can be overclocked. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 minute ago, Skiiwee29 said:

if you are getting out of range, it cant be overclocked that far.. not all monitors can be overclocked. 

Yes I know, that is not the problem, my monitor went up 74hz fine but now after doing the restart to windows it doesnt want to, which means I cant see anything thats happening on my screen, which means I cant solve the problem, question is can you?

2 minutes ago, Axello said:

Yes I know, that is not the problem, my monitor went up 74hz fine but now after doing the restart to windows it doesnt want to, which means I cant see anything thats happening on my screen, which means I cant solve the problem, question is can you?

rebooting should clear out the settings. 

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

5 minutes ago, Axello said:

So I think I just broke my monitor, I cant even load to windows, which means I cant fix the problem. Does anyone here know how I can reset my monitor or something? I did the overclock using CRU, 74hz was alright but 75hz didnt cut it after restarting my PC, I guess this is another "Icarus flew too close to the sun" stories..... 

So to clarify I think the problem lies in the software, so my gpu is pushing 75hz to my monitor which it cant handle, now normally it would change back to the last working resolution&refresh rate, but it thinks the 75hz is totally fine while my monitor disagrees, so windows is working in the background but my monitor cant show it.

1 minute ago, Skiiwee29 said:

rebooting should clear out the settings. 

yeah but the thing is, I cant reboot the damn thing

1 minute ago, Axello said:

yeah but the thing is, I cant reboot the damn thing

why not? Its as easy as turning the PC off and back on by pressing and holding the power button for like 5 seconds until it goes off... 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

2 minutes ago, Axello said:

So to clarify I think the problem lies in the software, so my gpu is pushing 75hz to my monitor which it cant handle, now normally it would change back to the last working resolution&refresh rate, but it thinks the 75hz is totally fine while my monitor disagrees, so windows is working in the background but my monitor cant show it.

Overclocking your monitor could kill it, so if you don't want to lose your monitor just don't overclock it.

2 minutes ago, Rainbow Dash said:

Overclocking your monitor could kill it, so if you don't want to lose your monitor just don't overclock it.

I do know that and I basically do it because the one I have sucks ssa and I would like to get a slightly better experience, but the screen isnt dead it just cant handle the refresh rate

4 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

why not? Its as easy as turning the PC off and back on by pressing and holding the power button for like 5 seconds until it goes off... 

Yes but the monitor cant show me the windows screen, but i think i have a solution, hopefully

26 minutes ago, Axello said:

edit: problem solved, I disconnected my gpu by removing the power cable and changed it to my motherboards gpu, that way I saw what was happening in windows and I changed the CRU settings so that my monitor could handle the overclock, thanks for everyone who tried helping me ;)

• 1 year later...

had the same issue, i think 75 is locked out by the  monitor as there is a 75hz model. I got my monitor working by unplugging the power and plugging it back in, if this doesn't work unplug it, hold the power button on your pc until it reboots and it will be back to 74

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/26/2018 at 3:07 AM, Axello said:

edit: problem solved, I disconnected my gpu by removing the power cable and changed it to my motherboards gpu, that way I saw what was happening in windows and I changed the CRU settings so that my monitor could handle the overclock, thanks for everyone who tried helping me ;)

Wait what how does your motherboard have a GPU

• 1 year later...
On 6/2/2020 at 4:24 PM, F4lamri said:

Wait what how does your motherboard have a GPU

I think they mean the CPU's integrated graphics.