Anyone heard of Fairphone?

I would just like to share this with anyone who may not have heard of it before.

To start off with the uncomfortable truth, a lot, if not all of, our phones are made with materials gathered through forced labor - to keep it a short story.

Thankfully, there is a company that goes a step in the right direction, creating the Fairphone.

It's a modular phone made from conflict-free materials and it runs on Android.

Of course, the latest version (Fairphone 2) was only released way back in 2015 and, if you're into highly advanced android ROMS like Replicant or CopperheadOS, Fairphone sadly isn't supported. I even contacted the company and asked if a Fairphone 3 was in the works. They did say they are planning one but it's not going to be around for a while.

This is a shame as I am torn between supporting a cause for better ethically-made smartphones and high specs to support the custom ROMS I just mentioned and I'm sure many other people might share a similar dilemma or just disregard the Fairphone outright for not measuring up with its higher spec contemporaries.

Want to know more about Fairphone? Click here.

I do know about them but sadly the fairphone 2 was too expensive for me when I last bought a phone (it had just released). I might consider it when I need a new one again, but I think in that occasion I will be building a phone rather than buying one. The hardest part is finding a good touch screen that works with a raspi 0... but I digress.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

The very high price and the (relatively) inefficient Snapdragon 801 SoC makes this a rather unappealing device from a competitive standpoint. A Snapdragon 625 would have been a better choice given the design goals, offering up similar performance at drastically lower power consumption. Less power consumption == happy battery == battery longevity ++.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…