How to become Game Designer

I've been told learning a language like Lua is a good place to start.  Also get a hold of some tools like Unity engine and get yourself familiar with it. 

At least that's just what I've been told by a coworker who's worked for a couple development companies doing level designs.

I imagine taking courses that cover these would be helpful too.

5 minutes ago, Majinhoju said:

I've been told learning a language like Lua is a good place to start.  Also get a hold of some tools like Unity engine and get yourself familiar with it. 

At least that's just what I've been told by a coworker who's worked for a couple development companies doing level designs.

I imagine taking courses that cover these would be helpful too.

Well. on programming, i'm currently studying phyton but i stopped study it for couple of months now. But, i also trying to find some friends to broading my knowledge on gaming knowledge generally before focusing on game/level design

18 minutes ago, Majinhoju said:

I've been told learning a language like Lua is a good place to start.

LUA is a great language to start off with, but that's about it. The problem with LUA is there are just too many developers and too little demand, making application outside of game modding somewhat limited.

24 minutes ago, lyudhistira said:

Simple, how do you become a game designer guys?

If you want to jump head first into game development without learning code first, I would suggest taking a look at GameMaker: Studio. Popular games like Risk of Rain, Hotline Miami, and Undertale were built using this software. It's a great way to make sure you want to become a full-fledged game designer/developer before you decide to invest a significant amount of time learning more complex engines such as Unreal or Unity.

Edited by Homeless Pineapple
Typo

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

2 minutes ago, Homeless Pineapple said:

LUA is a great language to start off with, but that's about it. The problem with LUA is there are just too many developers and too little demand, making application outside of game modding somewhat limited.

If you want to jump head first into game development without learning code first, I would suggest taking a look at GameMarker: Studio. Popular games like Risk of Rain, Hotline Miami, and Undertale were built using this software. It's a great way to make sure you want to become a full-fledged game developer before you decide to invest a significant amount of time learning more complex engines such as Unreal or Unity.

Cool! Thanks bro you're really helpful

Universities have dedicated programs focused on video games.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

8 minutes ago, Raskolnikov said:

Universities have dedicated programs focused on video games.

I'm going to university actually this summer on Information Technology degree

What do you want to do when you work for a game company? 

Game designer usually means level designer, or gameplay designer. Gameplay designer is the hardest job to get. 

Theres also several disciplines in programming, several modeling displiplines, 2D Art, music, sound effects, business (I don’t know much about it), and several more things. 

If you want a job, do business. Programming also helps and is a high chance to get a job. 

10 hours ago, lyudhistira said:

Simple, how do you become a game designer guys?

Download Unity and do the tutorials and just play with the tools to get a feel for what you're doing and what you don't know, then either spend the money on a more in-depth online tutorial like Pluralsight's or a book like Unity For Absolute Beginners, i'd also recommend learning the programming language you'll be using ie: for Unity it's C# or Unreal Engine it's C++. While these are two different languages most languages share some similarities so learning one will help you learn others. There's a limitless amount of free resources for learning programming languages online. Obviously if you get even more in depth you can either just buy asset packs or learn how to create your own, but i'd start with using pre-made assets so you can learn how to actually build everything first before trying to make everything pretty.

Download Unity, buy some assets, throw them all together into some frankengame and sell it on Steam. /s

9 minutes ago, EPENEX said:

Download Unity, buy some assets, throw them all together into some frankengame and sell it on Steam. /s

Make sure it includes scantly clothed anime woman!

Sells 250% better, and if you add actual nudity it'll boost sales by a whopping 500%!

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*

21 hours ago, Sfekke said:

Make sure it includes scantly clothed anime woman!

Sells 250% better, and if you add actual nudity it'll boost sales by a whopping 500%!

Dont forget to add Battle Royale mode.

id say the most important question is what part of designing a game do you want to do?

there are many people involved that have totally different skill sets and you will need to focus on one of the many things.

So what is it that you actually want to do?

I'm currently studying game design myself and here are some things to consider:  Game designer is a very broad term covering a ton of potential careers. This includes: 2D artist, Music/ Sound composer, 3D Modeler ( we really need those), programmers(primarily in JavaScript and C++/C#), level designers, character designers, and the list goes on. I recommend choosing 2-3 of those and specialize in them. 

As for programs to learn: I think the people above me covered the game engines quite well so I'll talk about the other software.

Blender: Fantastic open source 3d modeling and animation program. 

Photoshop or GIMP: needed to make textures and art for your game.

Audacity: for recording or creating sound effects. 

Some kind of IDE for programming. Unity comes with monodevelop included in the install, but I use Visual Studio myself for programming as it has a more robust set of features.