Good internet speed but slow downloads.

bean97x

Hi guys i'm new around here and was just looking for a little help, i don't live far from my internet providers exchange and so as of this i get around 80mbs however when i download games etc on my pc i get a max of 9mbs. 

i'm using a wired connection straight from my router to my PC so i don't have any WiFi signal problems i'm just at a loss to whats going on, when i check my download speed online from my PC it says i'm getting my usual 80mbs i have checked my Ethernet control centre as my motherboard has killer network controller on board and there is nothing there to suggest i'm limiting my speeds.

9 minutes ago, bean97x said:

Hi guys i'm new around here and was just looking for a little help, i don't live far from my internet providers exchange and so as of this i get around 80mbs however when i download games etc on my pc i get a max of 9mbs.

Is this another case of people mixing megabits per second and megabytes per second? 80Mbps, ie. 80 megabits per second, translates to 10MBps, or 10 megabytes per second -- notice the difference in capital b -- and, at least for me, Steam reports download-speeds in megabytes per second; if your Steam is reporting 9MBps, then you are, indeed, getting pretty much the speed you're supposed to!

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 minute ago, Mamonos said:

Then the speed limit must come from the server you download the games from.

its not just when i download from steam or origin its when i download anything online.

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

Is this another case of people mixing megabits per second and megabytes per second? 80Mbps, ie. 80 megabits per second, translates to 10MBps, or 10 megabytes per second -- notice the difference in capital b -- and, at least for me, Steam reports download-speeds in megabytes per second; if your Steam is reporting 9MBps, then you are, indeed, getting pretty much the speed you're supposed to!

oh well then im a dummy

where do you get 80mbps? in the contract or downloads like steam? are you sure you are not confused about terminology? you might have contracted 80mbps and the download shows 9 MB/s,  mbps(mega-bit per sec) is not the same as Mega-Byte per second,  MB is  mbps divided by 8, in other words  80 mbps / 8 = 10 MB, and you get around 9,  but is it 9 MByte or mbit  per second?

1 minute ago, bean97x said:

oh well then im a dummy

Well, even dummies can still learn! xD ISPs pretty much always report speeds in kilobits or megabits per second, and you can convert a kilobit to kilobyte or megabit to megabyte by dividing it with 8; 80Mbps / 8 = 10MBps. Remember the difference and you'll be less confused in the future :)

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Just now, yian88 said:

where do you get 80mbps? in the contract or downloads like steam? are you sure you are not confused about terminology? you might have contracted 80mbps and the download shows 9 MB/s,  mbps(mega-bit per sec) is not the same as Mega-Byte per second,  MB is  mbps divided by 8, in other words  80 mbps / 8 = 10 MB, and you get around 9,  but is it 9 MByte or mbit  per second?

Yeah it was my mistake i got them mixed up 

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

Well, even dummies can still learn! xD ISPs pretty much always report speeds in kilobits or megabits per second, and you can convert a kilobit to kilobyte or megabit to megabyte by dividing it with 8; 80Mbps / 8 = 10MBps. Remember the difference and you'll be less confused in the future :)

thank you appreciate it.