Liquid Metal Turned My CPU Cooler to DUST!? (Learn From My Mistake!!)

bmichaels556
5 hours ago, NelizMastr said:

Also, liquid metal only really benefits you when you put it on a CPU that's delidded or didn't come with a heatspreader to start with (like laptop CPUs). It offers zero benefits over regular TIM when a heatspreader is installed.

Could I get a citation for that? When Tom's Hardware benchmarked various thermal pastes without removing the IHS last year, the results showed that liquid metal pastes provided as much as a 3-5ºC difference over something like Arctic Silver 5 which is, to my understanding, one of the most popular thermal pastes available. It is certainly a negligible difference, yes, but hardly "zero."

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9YaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9Y

AMD ThreadRipper 2950X | ASUS Zenith Extreme | 4x8GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-2933 | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000W P2 | Custom Rigid Watercooling

250GB Samsung 850 EVO | 500GB Crucial MM200 | 4x3TB Seagate Barracuda RAID 10

ASUS PG279Q 27" 1440p@165Hz | 2x Acer G276HLGbd 27" 1080p@60Hz | Avera 49EQX10 49" 2160p@60hz | HTC Vive 2x3.6" 1200p@90Hz

Edifier S2000 Pro | V-Moda Crossfade Wireless II | Schiit Modi + Magni

Logitech G900 | Das Keyboard Model S w/ Blank PBT Keys + Kailh Bronze Speed Switches | Logitech G920

3 hours ago, Newbithian said:

Could I get a citation for that? When Tom's Hardware benchmarked various thermal pastes without removing the IHS last year, the results showed that liquid metal pastes provided as much as a 3-5ºC difference over something like Arctic Silver 5 which is, to my understanding, one of the most popular thermal pastes available. It is certainly a negligible difference, yes, but hardly "zero."

[snip][snip]

...eh... zero and negligible pretty much mean the same thing in this industry.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

3 hours ago, knightslugger said:

...eh... zero and negligible pretty much mean the same thing in this industry.

Well, mostly. But remember, there are people who will spend several hours polishing up their IHS to a damn mirror, get 1 degree C difference in temps, and call it "A MASSIVE SUCCESS, OMQ!!"

Like, shouldn't the benefit be somewhat proportional to the cost/effort? I guess it's mostly for fun, but as far as I know, this is true for de-lidding as well..?

That an AR-15 bolt face btw? What model you running?

1 hour ago, bmichaels556 said:

Well, mostly. But remember, there are people who will spend several hours polishing up their IHS to a damn mirror, get 1 degree C difference in temps, and call it "A MASSIVE SUCCESS, OMQ!!"

Like, shouldn't the benefit be somewhat proportional to the cost/effort? I guess it's mostly for fun, but as far as I know, this is true for de-lidding as well..?

That an AR-15 bolt face btw? What model you running?

First of all... i agree. i'm into minutia. a difference is a difference, no matter how small.

"De-lidding" as a process, when done to appropriate hardware, can have massive cooling potential. It was (and still is) considered a must for 7700k's and my personal 6700k saw a 20*C drop in temps.

It is a AR15 bolt face, and I couldn't tell you what model it is on account of i swap stuff around in my rifles a lot. to be honest i'm not even sure WHICH ar15 that bolt face is a picture of. We've got a Firearms Enthusist club thread in the general/off topic forum if you care to discuss further. no need to derail this thread.

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

Fun post to read, haven’t had someone post their failure like this.

11 hours ago, Bcat00 said:

Fun post to read, haven’t had someone post their failure like this.

Yeah, I don't really mind showing my failure if it helps even one careless person who was in a rush like myself, avoid something like this lmao. But the truth is, this has probably happened to more people than will readily admit it on a forum.

Also as an aside, you should see my cable management... ;) 

53 minutes ago, bmichaels556 said:

Yeah, I don't really mind showing my failure if it helps even one careless person who was in a rush like myself, avoid something like this lmao. But the truth is, this has probably happened to more people than will readily admit it on a forum.

Also as an aside, you should see my cable management... ;) 

It's okay, we're in the same boat when it comes to cable management. You should see how i hook up my fans, metal wires from the hardware store FTW!!

On 6/7/2018 at 7:38 PM, bmichaels556 said:

>polisihing

lol

Lapping was the process used as it evened out the concave IHS and improved temps since it improved the contact area between the IHS and the cold plate.

Nobody who's going for performance will spend time polishing it. Just keeping the bare copper was much better. Gains were around 3-5C on LGA 2011 or up to 7-10C on older LGA 775 era processors supposedly.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

I wonder why micro-fins aren't on coolers. you wouldn't have IHS to plate contact, but you'd have a crap load of surface area that the TIM would flow into.

System specs: