Can i use a laptop screen as a desktop monitor?

TTQGaming

I have a desktop computer, but i don't have a monitor for some days... Is there any way to use a laptop screen as a (temporary) desktop monitor?

You can open the laptop up and remove the display from it, then buy a controller and power-supply for it on eBay. If you want to just use it without taking your laptop apart, you'd have to buy e.g. an HDMI-capture card for your laptop and use that.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

10 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

You can open the laptop up and remove the display from it, then buy a controller and power-supply for it on eBay. If you want to just use it without taking your laptop apart, you'd have to buy e.g. an HDMI-capture card for your laptop and use that.

Thank you...

On 6/6/2018 at 5:50 AM, WereCatf said:

Well that go very extreme very quickly....

On 6/6/2018 at 5:24 AM, TTQGaming said:

I have a desktop computer, but i don't have a monitor for some days... Is there any way to use a laptop screen as a (temporary) desktop monitor?

As it's only temporary, you could look at getting a software solution, I used one in the past and never had any issues with it. Not sure if it still exists though, the software I used was called MaxiVista. I'll have a look and update if I any good alternatives.

Found this: https://www.spacedesk.net/ I haven't tested it but from what I can tell it does exactly what you need with no hidden cost (unless it's really well hidden)

I ilke trains.

1 hour ago, MCManiac52 said:

Found this: https://www.spacedesk.net/ I haven't tested it but from what I can tell it does exactly what you need with no hidden cost (unless it's really well hidden)

That is cool.. but i can use another computer's monitor in my home.. because my mom is going away for a few days(I am a child if you didn't know)

8 hours ago, WereCatf said:

Could you please expand a bit on the HDMI-capture card thing? It would be greatly appreciated!

21 minutes ago, Caius Filimon said:

Could you please expand a bit on the HDMI-capture card thing? It would be greatly appreciated!

Well, you get a USB HDMI-capture card, plug it in, open some software (VLC probably would do) that can display in fullscreen whatever is connected to the HDMI-capture card's input, and connect the HDMI-output from the desktop-PC to the capture-card -- POOF, fullscreen display from the desktop-PC on the laptop's display. Though, image-size and quality depends on whether it is a USB2.0 - or a USB3.0 - capture-card, with USB3.0 having higher bandwidth and therefore offering better image-quality and resolution.

Though, personally, I'd just recommend buying a second display. One can get a second-hand display cheaper than a capture-card.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.