Is this eBay Buyer scamming me?

AlTech
Go to solution Solved by Ezzy-525,

Yup, definitely a scam. 

This is the exact thing that eBay warns about when they say not to deal with people outside of eBay.

Hi,

So on eBay a user messaged me about being interested in my laptop for £880 but insists he/she pays through Paypal instead of eBay.  To protect their identity I've removed personal information.

Evening Seller,
I'm interested in purchasing your listed item on eBay, i will be offering you £880 for the item and £15 for postage via Royal Mail Nextday special Delivery to ___________, if accepted by you,and get back to me with PayPal request on my account _______________ and I will make payment immediately,replace the () sign on my mail with @ please 
Regards

you can easily end the bidding process right now and send the paypal request to _______________ so that i can remit payment right away,do take ad down from eBay asap, replace the () sign on my mail with the normal @ please
Kind regard

So yeah, is this against eBay TOS? And is this a scam of some sort?

I'm really just so confused -_-.

Thanks.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Yup, complete scam. Never do anything outside of ebay.

I got hit by that a long time ago, they send you a fake email that looks like PayPal saying the money is on the way and you need to ship the item out first and upload the tracking number.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

I don't know about being against the TOS, but it is definitely not recommend. If they don't go through eBay, then you are not covered by their policy and you will most likely get scammed. I say that you should not take this deal. 

Please Quote or tag me @GigabitXe to make sure I see your reply. 

Yup, definitely a scam. 

This is the exact thing that eBay warns about when they say not to deal with people outside of eBay.

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!

Just now, Ezzy-525 said:

Yup, definitely a scam. 

1 minute ago, GigabitXe said:

I don't know about being against the TOS, but it is definitely not recommend. If they don't go through eBay, then you are not covered by their policy and you will most likely get scammed. I say that you should not take this deal. 

4 minutes ago, Lurick said:

I got hit by that a long time ago, they send you a fake email that looks like PayPal saying the money is on the way and you need to ship the item out first and upload the tracking number.

Kk. Not taking aforementioned deal. 

Thanks much.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

Kk. Not taking aforementioned deal. 

Thanks much.

Always best to ask when you're suspicious of something buddy!

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!

8 minutes ago, Lurick said:

I work in a post office and a lass almost fell for this scam with her iPhone 6S, said they guy gave her £20 upfront to cover delivery, and at last minute said it needed delivering to Texas, America instead of London and to send the tracking code to him once it was posted, then he'll send the money.

She showed me a fake PayPal email that had a bar stuck on something like 97% processed, I told her it was a scam, we took the phone out of the box and sent the empty box on it's way over to him lmao. And she was still like £5 in pocket cause the postage wasnt the full £20.

But yeah it'll definitely be a scam.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

2 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

I work in a post office and a lass almost fell for this scam with her iPhone 6S, said they guy gave her £20 upfront to cover delivery, and at last minute said it needed delivering to america instead of London, and to send the tracking code then he'll send the money.

She showed me a fake PayPal email that had a bar stuck on something like 97% processed, I told her it was a scam, we took the phone out of the box and sent the empty box on it's way over to him lmao. And she was still like £5 in pocket cause the postage wasnt the full £20.

That's quality! The scammer got scammed! xD

12 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Hi,

So on eBay a user messaged me about being interested in my laptop for £880 but insists he/she pays through Paypal instead of eBay.  To protect their identity I've removed personal information.

So yeah, is this against eBay TOS? And is this a scam of some sort?

I'm really just so confused -_-.

Thanks.

It's a scam, don't do any eBay purchases outside of actual eBay transactions.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

2 minutes ago, Ezzy-525 said:

That's quality! The scammer got scammed! xD

Aye haha.

We did have to get the police involved first though and got a case number and everything before taking the phone out and sending just the box, had to cover our own buttocks incase anything funny came back to us :D 

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

7 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

It's a scam, don't do any eBay purchases outside of actual eBay transactions.

11 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

I work in a post office and a lass almost fell for this scam with her iPhone 6S, said they guy gave her £20 upfront to cover delivery, and at last minute said it needed delivering to Texas, America instead of London and to send the tracking code to him once it was posted, then he'll send the money.

Just received this.

image.png.3e6e751b2b92e6575f773b0a42ebdbd2.png

Just tell them you need the first $100 to clear then you’ll ship... scam the scammer

1 minute ago, Pip313 said:

Just tell them you need the first $100 to clear then you’ll ship... scam the scammer

And then proceed to constantly email them a bunch of garbage like James Veitch does xD

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

6 hours ago, Lurick said:

I got hit by that a long time ago, they send you a fake email that looks like PayPal saying the money is on the way and you need to ship the item out first and upload the tracking number

Exactly.

-= Moved to Off-Topic =-

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER