$200 desk

maplevirus

When I look at gaming setups online, they all have these insane desks that look amazing. I've been looking for one as I want a sweet setup with the new computer I'm gonna build, but I'm unable to find a good looking desk that's not over 200-250 Canadian dollars. I was looking at the Alex desk from Ikea, but still not convinced on it. Hoping you guys could recommend me a desk.

If you want any information on what I'm gonna do with the desk... I'm a 16 year old who likes to play games and I have no idea what I want to do with my life, hope that helps. I was thinking of a white-themed build with light blue RGB/LED since my room is already white (and grey). 

I'd just get the basic desk from Ikea, and spend the rest on cable management stuff and a nice monitor mount.

Or make your own top out of 2x4's and plywood.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

7 minutes ago, dizmo said:

plywood.

Nar use form ply or filmface ply and some hardwood moulding to cover the edges if you to that, gives a better mouse surface and looks a lot better 

For the non aussies, formply is a black faced plywood for concrete forms. 

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

If you do end up with an IKEA desk, I would not recommend using a monitor arm or anything that puts a lot of force in one spot. Most IKEA desks are particle board and do not do well with a lot of force in a small spot. You can put plenty of weight of them, but make sure it is spread out (for example a heavy monitor would do fine as long as it has a wide stand). That being said, if you have a physical IKEA store near you, stop in and go to the As-Is section. You can usually find really good deals on desk tops that have little to no damage on them. I got my desktop with adjustable legs for around $50-60 US dollars ($40 for the top, $4 for each leg). 

Please Quote or tag me @GigabitXe to make sure I see your reply. 

1 minute ago, Space2867 said:

If you do end up with an IKEA desk, I would not recommend using a monitor arm or anything that puts a lot of force in one spot. Most IKEA desks are particle board and do not do well with a lot of force in a small spot. You can put plenty of weight of them, but make sure it is spread out (for example a heavy monitor would do fine as long as it has a wide stand). That being said, if you have a physical IKEA store near you, stop in and go to the As-Is section. You can usually find really good deals on desk tops that have little to no damage on them. I got my desktop with adjustable legs for around $50-60 US dollars ($40 for the top, $4 for each leg). 

Yeah no ikeas here :/

57 minutes ago, maplevirus said:

I was looking at the Alex desk from Ikea

27 minutes ago, maplevirus said:

Yeah no ikeas here :/

But you said that you’ve already looked at IKEA desks?!

I would definitely suggest that you go and check out the desks at IKEA yourself. Make sure you’ve already looked at other people’s build logs to get some inspiration for your own build. That way you will also be able to pick a desk that fits your design best.

58 minutes ago, maplevirus said:

I'm a 16 year old who likes to play games and I have no idea what I want to do with my life

That’s a nice perspective on the future ;-)

40 minutes ago, Space2867 said:

I had an Ikea desk and monitor mounts and I definitely damage the desk with my mount. However surprisingly it held up for the 3 years I had the desk. But i did put a 2x4 board under the desk to spread out the weight.

12 hours ago, Catsrules said:

I had an Ikea desk and monitor mounts and I definitely damage the desk with my mount. However surprisingly it held up for the 3 years I had the desk. But i did put a 2x4 board under the desk to spread out the weight.

I did the exact same thing with my desk, as I use a dual arm monitor mount. So far, the board has kept the desk from snapping in half :) .

Please Quote or tag me @GigabitXe to make sure I see your reply. 

On 6/1/2018 at 4:41 PM, maplevirus said:

When I look at gaming setups online, they all have these insane desks that look amazing. I've been looking for one as I want a sweet setup with the new computer I'm gonna build, but I'm unable to find a good looking desk that's not over 200-250 Canadian dollars. I was looking at the Alex desk from Ikea, but still not convinced on it. Hoping you guys could recommend me a desk.

If you want any information on what I'm gonna do with the desk... I'm a 16 year old who likes to play games and I have no idea what I want to do with my life, hope that helps. I was thinking of a white-themed build with light blue RGB/LED since my room is already white (and grey). 

Id go with Ikea to be honest. I bought one of the fancy "gaming" desks even tho the build quality was amazing and held everything i deeded (keyboard, mouse, case, and monitor) i needed Drawers!!! so i just went with Ikea and i love the desk. I need to get some things for cable managing. also if your crafty and you own any consoles you can hide them in the drawers and make routing holes in the desk so nobody knows you have them you don't want to be marked a console peasant lol 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX GPU: AMD RX 6800M RAM: 16GB  SSD: 500GB NVME