Oh boy... (PSU beginner question)

So... er... Hi... first of all...

So I just checked this Power Supply Calculator that was brought up on the TechQuickie video.

What I have is a stock CyperPowerPC GUA600 and everyone at the CyberPower forums are saying that the first thing I have to do with any CyberPower PC is that I have to get a new PSU.

So I checked the Power Supply Calculator and it's saying that my recommended PSU wattage is 390W. The good news is that I got a recommended PSU. The bad news is that stores don't have them anymore.

I was going to consider buying the Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 600, but there are two problems with this.

The first problem is that I have no clue how to check the continuous wattage rating on it, and whether the PSU is actually going to be sufficient and not too little or too much power.

The second problem is the connectors... because, well, I'm completely new to all this connector mumbo jumbo so I'm scared to even buy any PSU at all, because I might run into problems such as buying a PSU without the right connectors I need.

If anyone can provide some insight as to what's actually going to be a good power supply to buy and how to overcome this connector anxiety that would be very helpful.

Thanks guys! (^ ^)/`

WintermintP

WintermintP

600W is pretty overkill for most gaming systems.

All modern PSUs will have the connectors you need, just check the manuals.

I would recommend the Corsair CX550M if you can find one, they usually cost around 50 USD.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

It's $110.99 (CAD) where I live but okay, looks like that'll have to do...

Thanks T.T

WintermintP

WintermintP

2 minutes ago, CapitalistVN said:

How about the EVGA 450 BT? That's just around CAD$60 on *cough cough* NCIX *cough cough* No sorry I mean Newegg.

yeah.. I'm not Canadian but this psu should work for your job. it's 450 watts so you should be good to go.

it's $40 usd and $51 cad 

2 hours ago, CapitalistVN said:

How about the EVGA 450 BT? That's just around CAD$60 on *cough cough* NCIX *cough cough* No sorry I mean Newegg.

It's group regulated, much worse than the CX/M. 

2 hours ago, BeBooBeeBop said:

The B1 is really crap and really overpriced. 

2 hours ago, Fritzer said:

yeah.. I'm not Canadian but this psu should work for your job. it's 450 watts so you should be good to go.

it's $40 usd and $51 cad 

The VS is cheap because it should be. It's group regulated, just like the other two. 

:)

Never mind, I had completely different PSU in mind..

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

8 hours ago, CapitalistVN said:

The problem is, I can't tell if that's the peak rating or the consistent rating. If that were to really work then it would've come up on the recommended slot a long time ago.

WintermintP

WintermintP

1 hour ago, WintermintP said:

The problem is, I can't tell if that's the peak rating or the consistent rating. If that were to really work then it would've come up on the recommended slot a long time ago.

WintermintP

The BT *should* be fine putting out 450w (As long as it's split between the 12, 5 and 3.3V rails), saying that, I agree with @seon123- it's not a good unit. For Canada right  now I'd suggest a Corsair CX450m for $45, link: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/FQ648d/corsair-power-supply-cp9020101na

Just some bapo nerd from 'Straya

PCs:

Main: i7 7700K (5GHz 1.4V) | ASUS GTX 1080 TURBO | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz (3200MHz CL14 1.365V) | ASUS PRIME Z270-AR | Thermaltake SMART 750P | Coolermaster Seidon 240P | Acer Predator X34 (34" 1440p144Hz GSync IPS)

Secondary: i5 3570K | Intel HD4000 (RIP Sapphire HD 6850) | 2x2GB + 1x4GB Kingston 1600MHz | ASUS P8Z68-V LX | Corsair CX650 | Coolermaster Hyper D92 | Sony Bravia VPL-VW80 (108" 1080p60Hz projector)

Laptop: i7 7700HQ | GTX 1060 6GB MXM | 2x16GB SODIMM | OEM Acer Motherboard | 17.3" Screen (1080p60Hz IPS)

iMac: Core 2 Duo T7400 | ATI Radeon X1600 | 2x1GB 667MHz DDR2 | 20" Screen

I got the Corsair CX550M on Newegg for $71!

I'm not done yet, though. Now the question is how to install it...

Okay, I seem to have the power supply inside a larger unit that holds other items as well. The main question is, will the fan on the new PSU be okay in that larger unit?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AMlgyXN7nJd3B35MaJcidXmH12njzIgc
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1kWaY4jfFdqNxbZU3pxcwiPYdpZE_QGMo

Oh dear...

Is the power supply in there or is the whole block the PSU? But then if the latter is the case, how am I going to fit the new PSU? o.O

Edited by WintermintP
question clarification

WintermintP

1 minute ago, WintermintP said:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AMlgyXN7nJd3B35MaJcidXmH12njzIgc
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1kWaY4jfFdqNxbZU3pxcwiPYdpZE_QGMo

Oh dear...

Is the power supply in there or is the whole block the PSU? But then if the latter is the case, how am I going to fit the new PSU? o.O

Regards,

WintermintP

That's the PSU shroud. Remove the other side panel. 

:)

The... other side panel? O_O;; How do I do that?

Is than an EVGA?! And STILL my computer keeps freezing and crashing?!

o_O ... Could it be that this could be one of the really dime-a-dozen EVGA PSUs? But isn't EVGA one of the better power supply brands? I'm completely confused...

PSU_problem_3.jpg

WintermintP

12 minutes ago, WintermintP said:

Power supplies can't cause freezes and crashes, only sudden shutdowns or restarts.

EVGA has both really great and really bad power supplies in their offer, like pretty much every consumer company ever.

Take the PSU out and check the model name on the label.

7 minutes ago, OrionFOTL said:

Power supplies can't cause freezes and crashes, only sudden shutdowns or restarts.

EVGA has both really great and really bad power supplies in their offer, like pretty much every consumer company ever.

Take the PSU out and check the model name on the label.

WHUT?! O-O Then what causes the entire OS to freeze and crash constantly at random points?!

WintermintP

WintermintP

18 minutes ago, WintermintP said:

o_O ... Could it be that this could be one of the really dime-a-dozen EVGA PSUs? But isn't EVGA one of the better power supply brands? I'm completely confused...

WintermintP

PSU_problem_3.jpg

As Orion said...  PSU problems aren't typically going to cause freezing and crashing.  

And, as far as that PSU goes, yes... it's en EVGA "brand" PSU, but it's a W1 which is one of the worst PSUs in the world.

But beyond any of that.... I have to address the way you've approached this whole issue.

13 hours ago, WintermintP said:

What I have is a stock CyperPowerPC GUA600 and everyone at the CyberPower forums are saying that the first thing I have to do with any CyberPower PC is that I have to get a new PSU.

Why?

See.. you never said WHY everyone was telling you to replace the PSU.  And here we find out that you didn't even know what PSU you had in the first place!

I've seen MOST CyberPowerPCs come with fairly decent PSUs.  Typically non-rebranded Acbel's, but not having an "EVGA" or "Corsair" brand slapped on the side of a PSU doesn't make a PSU bad (or good).

So you went to the CyberPowerPC forums and said "my PC freezes" and people THERE said you need to replace the PSU?  Did anyone THERE know what kind of PSU you had in there in the first place before assuming that a freezing problem "had to be" the PSU?

So now, here we are....  back at square one.  You already have the new PSU, so since that's one piece of redundant hardware in your possession, you might as well swap it out and see if it addresses your issues (doubt it).  Once you determine that it's NOT the problem, we can try to troubleshoot your freezing and crashing issues.  Could be heat.  Could be bad RAM... could be many things.

2 minutes ago, WintermintP said:

WHUT?! O-O Then what causes the entire OS to freeze and crash constantly at random points?!

That could be a problem with RAM, motherboard, graphics card (drivers), hard drive problems or errors in your Windows installation itself.

Er, okay, this is where I start to have a faint memory where there was one guy that taught the other guy how to run diagnostics to find out what's causing the freezes and crashes... are you able to recall that too?

WintermintP

WintermintP

Do you get bluescreens when it crashes? If yes, note the STOP code it gives you and paste it into Google. You should also tell us when do you get the most freezes and crashes, if it truly happens randomly or just in some particular games, or in games vs internet browsing.

5 minutes ago, OrionFOTL said:

Do you get bluescreens when it crashes? If yes, note the STOP code it gives you and paste it into Google.

No, the OS just freezes and nothing would move. Neither the mouse nor keyboard. It would just stay still from that point forward until I manually reboot it.

WintermintP

WintermintP

On 5/31/2018 at 1:25 PM, OrionFOTL said:

Does it do that in some particular scenarios, like playing games?

Sometimes I'm working on my DAW and that's the only thing it's running. Other times I'm on the internet checking e-mails. Other times I'm looking through stuff on File Explorer so I can find certain files such as plugin directories. There's not a specific scenario this happens on. It happens just about anywhere.

If this additional information is any helpful, it doesn't matter how many applications are running or how big the said applications are. There are times when I have no large applications at all (i.e. I just have the File Explorer or Notepad on) and the computer would still freeze completely. There was a time I left the computer on for three hours just to see if the freeze would go away, but it wouldn't. The computer would stay frozen until I kill it off come what may.

WintermintP

Is the PC over a year old?  Should still be under warranty if it's not.

16 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Is the PC over a year old?  Should still be under warranty if it's not.

No. I got it earlier this year. Somewhere in February/March. So it's less than half a year old.

WintermintP

WintermintP

1 hour ago, WintermintP said:

No. I got it earlier this year. Somewhere in February/March. So it's less than half a year old.

WintermintP

Then it's under warranty.  Have CyberPowerPC figure it out.