Genuine (Although Stupid Sounding) Question around Streaming Films

Hi there,

So I'm a massive film lover, I tend to like a nice rainy Sunday where I can sit down and watch films with my family. We're exhausting the range of Netflix films available so I was wondering this: In the UK, is it illegal to stream films online for free? I looked into it a few years ago and it seemed to be a grey area, so I'm wondering if anyone can give me a definite yes it is or no it isn't or if they can give me a good alternative.

Thanks

6 minutes ago, ILoveKebab said:

Hi there,

So I'm a massive film lover, I tend to like a nice rainy Sunday where I can sit down and watch films with my family. We're exhausting the range of Netflix films available so I was wondering this: In the UK, is it illegal to stream films online for free? I looked into it a few years ago and it seemed to be a grey area, so I'm wondering if anyone can give me a definite yes it is or no it isn't or if they can give me a good alternative.

Thanks

A good alternative is Netflix, obviously. 

It is my understanding that the person streaming the movies out is the one breaking the law not the person who is watching here in the UK. the same for sports broadcast aswell.

EDIT: spelling

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

To be honest even if its illegal nobody cares nobody has enough time to catch all the so called pirates. Just watch the films and don't go shouting that you are doing that and that will be enough. Worst case scenario even if you somehow will get caught you will get small fine or a warning.

Just now, DemiGod said:

To be honest even if its illegal nobody cares nobody has enough time to catch all the so called pirates. Just watch the films and don't go shouting that you are doing that and that will be enough. Worst case scenario even if you somehow will get caught you will get small fine or a warning.

I suppose yeah, I can lower the risk as well using a VPN. 

Streaming from a non legit source is considered piracy as ur recieving data (streaming). Its total BS tbh but thats the British government all over.

Best bet is to use a secure VPN and just go with it.

Alternativly try Amazon prime video.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

2 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

A good alternative is Netflix, obviously. 

It is my understanding that the person streaming the movies out is always breaking wall not the person who is watching here in the UK. the same for sports broadcast aswell.

That's what I was thinking, thanks

1 minute ago, SolarNova said:

Best bet is to use a secure VPN and just go with it.

Would the government go out of there way to track me if I used a VPN made from a cheap VPS?

8 minutes ago, Binner said:

Would the government go out of there way to track me if I used a VPN made from a cheap VPS?

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN RESPONDING

Please Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It. Take Time & Explain

New TOS RUINED the meme that used to be below :( 

18 minutes ago, Binner said:

TBH it isnt so much the government, but the IPS's.

Last i heared they send out 'information letters' to those they see using pirate streaming services. Its not an offical warning or anything, its more used to try scare people. The whole "omg they know!" deal. So using a VPN would stop that entirly as ur ISP would have no idea what you were doing online.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

1 hour ago, SolarNova said:

TBH it isnt so much the government, but the IPS's.

Last i heared they send out 'information letters' to those they see using pirate streaming services. Its not an offical warning or anything, its more used to try scare people. The whole "omg they know!" deal. So using a VPN would stop that entirly as ur ISP would have no idea what you were doing online.

I actually had warner Bros contact my ISP (Rogers) who then sent me a letter.

Once i finished the letter, PIA had a new subscriber. LOL

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN RESPONDING

Please Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It. Take Time & Explain

New TOS RUINED the meme that used to be below :( 

It is legal to use a VPN for streaming though. You are already paying for Netflix, so why not? Not like you pirate it or something. I use NordVPN for my US Netflix needs and so far so good. They constantly update banned servers because Netflix doesn't really like VPNs heh.

13 hours ago, DeLorian said:

It is legal to use a VPN for streaming though. You are already paying for Netflix, so why not? Not like you pirate it or something. I use NordVPN for my US Netflix needs and so far so good. They constantly update banned servers because Netflix doesn't really like VPNs heh.

Might be legal, but its against Netflix's terms of service. They have blocked most VPN providers from accessing the service. Because getting around Geo location restrictions is a violation of the law. As some content is not licensed for certain countries. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 5/28/2018 at 11:05 AM, Binner said:

Hi there,

Thanks

Short answer is yes, streaming a copyrighted movie is just as illegal (depending on local laws) as downloading and watching a torrented pirated movie. Unauthorized streaming is still "piracy".

As to whether that's actually illegal in the UK? No idea - depends on the UK copyright laws.

You can legally watch movies online using services like iTunes, Google Play, Amazon, etc. Though the catalogue available to you will vary depending on country, and in most cases, you have to buy or rent each movie individually.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)