Nvidia's Jetson TX2 Powers GameFace Labs' Standalone VR Headset

speedbeastxx

I am a fan of VR, so this looks very interesting. I hope this can make VR more accessible to the masses with its features. I look forward to see how VR games play on this device. 

GameFace Labs today introduced the developer kit for the company’s upcoming Head Mounted Console (HMC) VR device. The new headset is a standalone VR device, but it’s unlike any other headset we’ve seen on the market. Most standalone VR headsets feature processing hardware sourced from Qualcomm, which provide ample performance for mobile content, but GameFace Labs opted for a more powerful configuration. The GameFace Labs HMC features Nvidia’s Jetson TX2 module with a Pascal GPU, which enables it also to support SteamVR content.

GameFace Labs worked with Triad Semiconductors to ensure that the HMC would be compatible with Valve’s SteamVR (Lighthouse) Tracking system to enable sub-millimeter room-scale tracking. The GameFace Labs developer kits include Lighthouse base stations, and a pair of 6-DoF tracked controllers.

GameFace Labs is currently accepting pre-order applications, but the company said that the developer kits are in limited supply and it would be selective about who will get a kit. Hopeful developers must pass an applications process to qualify for the purchase. Qualified developers will receive the opportunity to purchase a GameFace Labs HMC Developer Kit for $599. They would also receive a retail HMC when they hit the market later this year. GameFace Labs said that it would deliver the first dev kits over the next few weeks.

5b0735cc0fd02_1(2).PNG.412b114edc90225f75040935adb3c6b6.PNG

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/gameface-labs-standalone-steamvr-headset,37112.html

System

• CPU
    i7-7700k at 4.6ghz
  • Motherboard
    Asus ROG Z270-E
  • RAM
    Gskill 16gb 2400 RGB
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1080 Duke
  • Case
    Corsair 750D
  • Storage
    Samsung 850 evo 500gb
     WD black 4tb
     WD blue 1tb
     Kingston ssdnow v300 128gb
  • PSU
    Corsair HX750
  • Display(s)
    2x Asus - VG248QE 24" 144Hz 1080p
  • Cooling
    Corsair H110i
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro

People hate on Nvidia a lot, and sometimes for all the right reasons (GPP, etc.), but you can't deny that they're doing some great research in the AI sector, and now it seems in the AR/VR market. They should definitely keep it up.

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

4 hours ago, speedbeastxx said:

I am a fan of VR, so this looks very interesting. I hope this can make VR more accessible to the masses with its features. I look forward to see how VR games play on this device. 

5b0735cc0fd02_1(2).PNG.412b114edc90225f75040935adb3c6b6.PNG

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/gameface-labs-standalone-steamvr-headset,37112.html

any questions,fire away :)

15 minutes ago, GameFace Labs said:

If there are any questions, please feel free to ask away, we will answer anything we can

What content ecosystem does the headset support as a standalone experience? All the references I've read point to it running Android 7.x, so I'm guessing it runs Daydream but that just makes me Question why it's not using Daydream standalone. How do you present the non-vr UIs?

How does the tether function? Is it a proprietary adapter or standardized ports. How much latency is introduced by the OS, or does it have some kind of switching to work around this?

Why the heck does a VR headset need Gigabit Ethernet?

2 hours ago, GameFace Labs said:

If there are any questions, please feel free to ask away, we will answer anything we can

what do you do for cooling it?

System

• CPU
    i7-7700k at 4.6ghz
  • Motherboard
    Asus ROG Z270-E
  • RAM
    Gskill 16gb 2400 RGB
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1080 Duke
  • Case
    Corsair 750D
  • Storage
    Samsung 850 evo 500gb
     WD black 4tb
     WD blue 1tb
     Kingston ssdnow v300 128gb
  • PSU
    Corsair HX750
  • Display(s)
    2x Asus - VG248QE 24" 144Hz 1080p
  • Cooling
    Corsair H110i
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro

I have a feeling that this 'GameFace Labs' account is a fake that was just created for attention.

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

standalone VR headset? no thanks, id like some actiual power behind my experience and not just weight and bulk. i love VR from what i have tried, the trick is to make the headset not feel like its there so i dont see how an entire console mounted to your face can work, teather never botherd me while playing so far

19 hours ago, GameFace Labs said:

neat, so what kind of experiece can i expect here, because i really doubt im getting the robo recall expeirence tbh

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I'm waiting for their next module to be called Jensen.

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |