What is the PSU wattage should I get?

ivanteng880

Hi I’m picking out a psu for my new build, I know I want a psu from Be Quiet but I don’t know what wattage should I get.

spec:

Ryzen 1600x (overclock)

B350-F motherboard 

coolermaster master liquid 240 

G skill trident Z rgb 2666 2x8 Gb

Curial SSD 250 Gb

Seagate HDD 1Tb 7200rpm

Asus Gtx 1080 Ti strix Oc edition (no overclock)

Cooler master H500P mesh white (2 200mm RGB fan and a black 120mm fan)

Corsair strafe gaming keyboard

corsair M65 pro gaming mouse

one usb reviver for G933 headset 

12 minutes ago, ivanteng880 said:

what wattage should I get.

Get a 600W

It's much better to be safe than sorry - I'd say go for at least 600w. But perhaps more importantly, go for a quality one.

Main rig: i7 8086K // EVGA Z370 Micro // 16GB Gskill TridentZ 3200Mhz CL14 // Sapphire Pulse RX 7800XT// a variety of noctua cooling // Corsair RM750x v2 //  Fractal Meshify C

Secondary rig: R5 3600 // MSI B450i Gaming Plus // 16GB Gskill FlareX 3200CL14 // MSI GTX 1080ti Gaming X // Cooler Master V650 // Fractal Meshify C

Audio setup: Audient iD4 // Adam A7X // Sennheiser HD 650 // Sennheiser HD 25-II // Audio Technica M50x // Sennheiser Momentum 4

3 minutes ago, chckovsky said:

It's much better to be safe than sorry - I'd say go for at least 600w. But perhaps more importantly, go for a quality one.

With 450W he's already well above what a stock Ryzen 1080 Ti will use. At 600W he starts getting to where the PSUs just get noisier.

:)

550-650W. This 550W SeaSonic is a great deal RN, I have the 650W and it's great!

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/bkp323/seasonic-focus-plus-gold-550w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-ssr-550fx

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

600 - 650W, 80+ Gold certified. Why not have the extra headroom?

hi.

4 hours ago, chckovsky said:

Why 600W for a 200-350W PC?

4 hours ago, Canada EH said:

Get a 600W

When the PC consumes half of that?
Why?
600W Doesn't give him any advantages, especially on be quiet, where they most certainly use a higher RPM fan than 450 or 550W.

4 hours ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

550-650W. This 550W SeaSonic is a great deal RN, I have the 650W and it's great!

1st: He said he wants a be quiet PSU, that means he most certainly is in Europe.

2nd: 650W is utter nonsense and only makes sense when we are talking about High End Desktop systems and high end GPUs and Sledgehammer Overclocking.

_AND_ if there is no change in Plattform between 650 and 750W.

With the Straight Power 11, the 650W makes little sense and should be avoided.

450 is good

550W is OKish

650W is garbage

750W is good again

Just look at the modular Panel!

4 hours ago, AskTJ said:

600 - 650W, 80+ Gold certified. Why not have the extra headroom?

Why 600-650W for a 300W (max) PC???

WHy not have the extra headroom? Because its a waste?
Waste of money that's better invested elsewhere.

Gets higher damage in fault situations because of higher OPP/OCP Trip points

And higher Wattage ones of the same Plattform are never quieter without at least different heatsinks.

In some cases the ~550W is quieter than ~650W.

I've seen a diagram where the ~550W has around 625rpm, 650W has ~850rpm, ~750W again at ~625W.

So pls stop wasting peoples money with recommending "overwattage PSU"!

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

6 hours ago, ivanteng880 said:

Hi I’m picking out a psu for my new build, I know I want a psu from Be Quiet but I don’t know what wattage should I get.

spec:

Ryzen 1600x (overclock)

B350-F motherboard 

coolermaster master liquid 240 

G skill trident Z rgb 2666 2x8 Gb

Curial SSD 250 Gb

Seagate HDD 1Tb 7200rpm

Asus Gtx 1080 Ti strix Oc edition (no overclock)

Cooler master H500P mesh white (2 200mm RGB fan and a black 120mm fan)

Corsair strafe gaming keyboard

corsair M65 pro gaming mouse

one usb reviver for G933 headset 

Just want to point out something: I really don't recommend overclocking a 1600X on that board. I had that board. The VRMs are a toaster and have a super lackluster heatsink. Don't bother running it at anything above stock speeds unless you can put a ton of air over the VRM heatsink.

Second, a 550W unit has plenty of wattage and anything more is kinda overkill. The Be Quiet Pure Power 10 would be a good choice if you're looking for one of their units.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

7 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Just want to point out something: I really don't recommend overclocking a 1600X on that board. I had that board. The VRMs are a toaster and have a super lackluster heatsink. Don't bother running it at anything above stock speeds unless you can put a ton of air over the VRM heatsink.

Second, a 550W unit has plenty of wattage and anything more is kinda overkill. The Be Quiet Pure Power 10 would be a good choice if you're looking for one of their units.

Do you having any recommended motherboard for me? I want to overclock my Ryzen 5 1600X to 4GHz

4 hours ago, ivanteng880 said:

Do you having any recommended motherboard for me? I want to overclock my Ryzen 5 1600X to 4GHz

Just saying, there's a very low likelihood that your chip will be able to hit 4 GHz. About 10% of chips can. You also need super high voltage to hit it (at least 1.4V, but no higher than 1.425 as that can damage the silicon in your chip), which that B350 Strix can't handle.

An Asus X370 Prime Pro is the cheapest motherboard with a decent VRM on AM4. I have one now after upgrading from that same Strix board and the VRM allows me to use much lower voltage for higher clocks speeds. My chip's absolute max at 1.425V with the most extreme LLC setting is 3975 MHz. Just shy of 4.0 GHz. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

15 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Just saying, there's a very low likelihood that your chip will be able to hit 4 GHz. About 10% of chips can. You also need super high voltage to hit it (at least 1.4V, but no higher than 1.425 as that can damage the silicon in your chip), which that B350 Strix can't handle.

An Asus X370 Prime Pro is the cheapest motherboard with a decent VRM on AM4. I have one now after upgrading from that same Strix board and the VRM allows me to use much lower voltage for higher clocks speeds. My chip's absolute max at 1.425V with the most extreme LLC setting is 3975 MHz. Just shy of 4.0 GHz. 

Do you think X370-F strix gaming motherboard will be good? @STRMfrmXMN

57 minutes ago, ivanteng880 said:

Yes, but it's probably more money than you need to spend.

1 hour ago, ivanteng880 said:

Its OK, but power consumption of that Board is shit.

Way worse than on the Biostar X370GT7 I had before -> ~20W more under low loads....

13 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

I've said before that I'm a fan of the ASRock Pro4 for novice OC'ers who don't want to mess with LLC etc...

RE: 1600X hitting 4GHz, it's a bit more common that 10% (as far as I have seen in the buildapc discord), the lowest I've seen someone get it was 1.3V on the stock cooler (1600 non-X)

Just some bapo nerd from 'Straya

PCs:

Main: i7 7700K (5GHz 1.4V) | ASUS GTX 1080 TURBO | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz (3200MHz CL14 1.365V) | ASUS PRIME Z270-AR | Thermaltake SMART 750P | Coolermaster Seidon 240P | Acer Predator X34 (34" 1440p144Hz GSync IPS)

Secondary: i5 3570K | Intel HD4000 (RIP Sapphire HD 6850) | 2x2GB + 1x4GB Kingston 1600MHz | ASUS P8Z68-V LX | Corsair CX650 | Coolermaster Hyper D92 | Sony Bravia VPL-VW80 (108" 1080p60Hz projector)

Laptop: i7 7700HQ | GTX 1060 6GB MXM | 2x16GB SODIMM | OEM Acer Motherboard | 17.3" Screen (1080p60Hz IPS)

iMac: Core 2 Duo T7400 | ATI Radeon X1600 | 2x1GB 667MHz DDR2 | 20" Screen

17 minutes ago, awesomegamer919 said:

I've said before that I'm a fan of the ASRock Pro4 for novice OC'ers who don't want to mess with LLC etc...

RE: 1600X hitting 4GHz, it's a bit more common that 10% (as far as I have seen in the buildapc discord), the lowest I've seen someone get it was 1.3V on the stock cooler (1600 non-X)

Really? I hated that board when I used it. No LLC is a serious dealbreaker if you want to overclock and fine-tuning the SOC voltage on the board isn't possible. Hard pass from me. Plus the horrendous Vdroop. Definitely my last choice for any B350 board I'd want to overclock on that has heatsinks.

But at what voltages with what LLC? I can probably get my 1700X at LLC5 to 4.0 GHz at 1.45V, but I ain't gonna dare do that. A lot of people just set the clockspeed to x40 in their BIOS and leave the voltage at Auto. 1.3V is pretty cool and low and stuff, but most people are not gonna hit 4.0 GHz and it's useless to include what clockspeed you want to hit in the OP because realistically you don't know if you chip can do it at all, let alone how much voltage it will need, thus corresponding to power draw.

On 5/23/2018 at 6:06 AM, Stefan Payne said:

Why 600W for a 200-350W PC?

Higher powered power supplies usually have longer warranties, sometimes up to 10 years. And an overpowered PSU don't need to work as hard, possibly making it quieter and more efficient (PSU are generally most efficient at around 50% load).

Main rig: i7 8086K // EVGA Z370 Micro // 16GB Gskill TridentZ 3200Mhz CL14 // Sapphire Pulse RX 7800XT// a variety of noctua cooling // Corsair RM750x v2 //  Fractal Meshify C

Secondary rig: R5 3600 // MSI B450i Gaming Plus // 16GB Gskill FlareX 3200CL14 // MSI GTX 1080ti Gaming X // Cooler Master V650 // Fractal Meshify C

Audio setup: Audient iD4 // Adam A7X // Sennheiser HD 650 // Sennheiser HD 25-II // Audio Technica M50x // Sennheiser Momentum 4

4 minutes ago, chckovsky said:

Higher powered power supplies usually have longer warranties, sometimes up to 10 years. And an overpowered PSU don't need to work as hard, possibly making it quieter and more efficient (PSU are generally most efficient at around 50% load).

PSUs with longer warranties have longer warranties. Not PSUs with a higher wattage. For example, Focus Plus Gold 550W Vs Smart Power 850W. 10 Vs 3 years. 

The relative load doesn't matter. A higher wattage PSU will tend to have a higher RPM fan, making it noisier, whether it's during idle, or whether it's under load. For example, the noisy G3 550W is not as noisy as the G3 1000W or T2 1600W. 

The efficiency "curve" of a PSU is pretty much a flat line. It goes up vertically until ~10% load, then it's just flat. 

40 minutes ago, seon123 said:

PSUs with longer warranties have longer warranties. Not PSUs with a higher wattage. For example, Focus Plus Gold 550W Vs Smart Power 850W. 10 Vs 3 years. 

The relative load doesn't matter. A higher wattage PSU will tend to have a higher RPM fan, making it noisier, whether it's during idle, or whether it's under load. For example, the noisy G3 550W is not as noisy as the G3 1000W or T2 1600W. 

The efficiency "curve" of a PSU is pretty much a flat line. It goes up vertically until ~10% load, then it's just flat. 

Well maybe I should said that certain higher powered power supplies have longer warranties than lower powered units in the same series, to be more specific. Maybe I'm looking at older data (or just worse PSUs), but most of the curves I've seen indicate a small decrease in efficiency as it nears full load.

54 minutes ago, chckovsky said:

Well maybe I should said that certain higher powered power supplies have longer warranties than lower powered units in the same series, to be more specific. Maybe I'm looking at older data (or just worse PSUs), but most of the curves I've seen indicate a small decrease in efficiency as it nears full load.

There's a small decrease in efficiency, but the fan RPM is still higher for higher wattage PSUs. 

Here's some tests. 

https://www.cybenetics.com/index.php?option=database

2 hours ago, chckovsky said:

Higher powered power supplies usually have longer warranties, sometimes up to 10 years.

That's fake news!

The Wattage has nothing to do with it.

The Quality/Series has something to do with it.

And the Warranty doesn't have to correlate with the quality. 

Or are claiming that Consumer units are of higher quality than Server/Workstation PSU?!

2 hours ago, chckovsky said:

And an overpowered PSU don't need to work as hard, possibly making it quieter and more efficient (PSU are generally most efficient at around 50% load).

Why doesn't this fairy tale die?!

A PSU isn't a car, we aren't talking about some velocity or shit like that.

We are talking about Electronics and Heatsinking.

So for a higher wattage unit to be quieter, it has to at least have bigger heatsinks or we are talking about two different units.

But if we talk about the same unit with the same layout, that's not possible because laws of thermodynamics apply...

1 hour ago, chckovsky said:

Well maybe I should said that certain higher powered power supplies have longer warranties than lower powered units in the same series, to be more specific.

And what series should that be?!
Usually the warranty within a series is the same. 
Different series might have different warranty. But within a Series its usually not the case.....

1 hour ago, chckovsky said:

Maybe I'm looking at older data (or just worse PSUs), but most of the curves I've seen indicate a small decrease in efficiency as it nears full load.

Yes, small - so small that two different PSU of the same model might have a bigger difference than the difference between peak efficiency and full load efficiency.

And especially if we are talking about 230VAC input, tha difference is really really small...

48 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

That's fake news!

The Wattage has nothing to do with it.

The Quality/Series has something to do with it.

And the Warranty doesn't have to correlate with the quality. 

And what series should that be?!
Usually the warranty within a series is the same. 
Different series might have different warranty. But within a Series its usually not the case.....

G2/3, 550/650w are 7 year, 750w+ are 10 year. That's the only series that i can think of though.

Just some bapo nerd from 'Straya

PCs:

Main: i7 7700K (5GHz 1.4V) | ASUS GTX 1080 TURBO | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz (3200MHz CL14 1.365V) | ASUS PRIME Z270-AR | Thermaltake SMART 750P | Coolermaster Seidon 240P | Acer Predator X34 (34" 1440p144Hz GSync IPS)

Secondary: i5 3570K | Intel HD4000 (RIP Sapphire HD 6850) | 2x2GB + 1x4GB Kingston 1600MHz | ASUS P8Z68-V LX | Corsair CX650 | Coolermaster Hyper D92 | Sony Bravia VPL-VW80 (108" 1080p60Hz projector)

Laptop: i7 7700HQ | GTX 1060 6GB MXM | 2x16GB SODIMM | OEM Acer Motherboard | 17.3" Screen (1080p60Hz IPS)

iMac: Core 2 Duo T7400 | ATI Radeon X1600 | 2x1GB 667MHz DDR2 | 20" Screen

I stand corrected.