4K Video - Worth it? I have a question

Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,
2 minutes ago, MultiMigo said:

Im working with Sony A6300 footage. 1080p 120p. I tried and did a test, the 4K timeline and 4K export was sharper only on texts. The 1080p timeline and 4K export was still the same but the text are not as sharp as the 4K timeline one.

what editior are you working with? 

Are you mainly going to the web?

Yea the 4k timeline will have sharper text, but for most web use people own't notice it.

So according to Linus's video.  

I was kinda confused since he didnt answer this question.

When do you need to upscale? Should it be in the timeline? 1080p footage on a 4K timeline and then export in 4K, or 1080p footage on a 1080p timeline then export in 4K. The only difference I saw is that the text are sharper if you edit on a 4K timeline. Hope you can clear my question. Thanks!

So according to Linus's video.  

I was kinda confused since he didnt answer this question.

When do you need to upscale? Should it be in the timeline? 1080p footage on a 4K timeline and then export in 4K, or 1080p footage on a 1080p timeline then export in 4K. The only difference I saw is that the text are sharper if you edit on a 4K timeline. Hope you can clear my question. Thanks!

Just upscale it, it makes it look so much better on Youtube, because Youtube alots more bandwidth for 4k videos, this is far more important if you are dealing with lots of moving objects.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

1 minute ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Just upscale it, it makes it look so much better on Youtube, because Youtube alots more bandwidth for 4k videos, this is far more important if you are dealing with lots of moving objects.

Yep I know but you didnt answer my question

3 minutes ago, MultiMigo said:

Yep I know but you didnt answer my question

What footage are you working with? If your dealing with 1080p footage, use a 1080p timeline, and do the 4k export at the end.

Yes and no. Mostly yes but sometimes no, it depends

My main rig  Shardsedge

☟ INFO & SPECS 

• Information:

This build is made for video editing, Gaming and livestreaming.

probably 65% of this build has been bought used.

• Specifications:

CPU  AMD Ryzen 7 1700

GPU  Sapphire RX 580 PULSE 4GB

SSD ✦ Toshiba TR200 240GB

HDD ✦ WD Black 160GB 2.5" + WD BLUE 1TB

PSU ✦ Corsair RM750X

RAM ✦ Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x4 (8GB) 3000Mhz

CASE ✦ Corsair Crystal 460X

MOBO MSI X370 SLI Plus

My old pc build  Smoke

☟ INFO & SPECS 

• Information:

This build was made for gaming especially, it was my second build.

i had some struggles livestreaming on it because the CPU just wasn't good enough for that.

(I do not have this build anymore)

• Specifications:

CPU ✦ Intel i5 6500

GPU  Sapphire NITRO+ Radeon RX 470 4G D5

SSD ✦ Kingston SSDNow v300 120GB

HDD ✦ WD Blue 1TB

PSU ✦ Corsair CX450M

RAM ✦ Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x4 (8GB) 2400Mhz

CASE ✦ Sharkoon S25-V

MOBO ✦ MSI H110M ECO

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What footage are you working with? If your dealing with 1080p footage, use a 1080p timeline, and do the 4k export at the end.

Im working with Sony A6300 footage. 1080p 120p. I tried and did a test, the 4K timeline and 4K export was sharper only on texts. The 1080p timeline and 4K export was still the same but the text are not as sharp as the 4K timeline one.

Yea the 4k timeline will have sharper text, but for most web use people own't notice it.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Im editing on premiere pro. Yes and will be uploaded on the web. Thank you! Got it

On 5/22/2018 at 2:36 PM, MultiMigo said:

I highly recommend not shooting in 1080p on the a6300. I have an a6500 (pretty much the same sensor tech) and the 1080p footage is soft, even compared to other 1080 cameras. It isn't unusable, but the 4K is much better imho.

Only use 1080p If you actually know you need 120 FPS for slow mo

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking