800p Intel SSD for Laptops

Caius Filimon

Hi guys, I'm very much interested in the idea of using an 800p Optane SSD for increasing my Laptop's RAM.

It has soldered-in 8gigs of RAM, and I'm just curious if, 3 years down the line, for whatever reasons, I need more RAM, could I just install an 800p Intel SSD? It has a latency of 8 milliseconds which compares relatively well with real RAM latency (defo far better than even an m.2 samsung ssd).

Would it absolutely require a bios hack for that to be possible? Are there even any Optane SSDs made for laptops?

Thanks!

Your laptop would first need to support NVMe, since Optane uses that protocol. If it doesn't support NVMe, you've basically reached the end of the line.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

What laptop is this?

You normally do this by using optane as swap, and while its better than an hdd, and a bit better than a normal ssd, its still much worse than ram. By then you might aswell just get a laptop with more ram.

2 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What laptop is this?

You normally do this by using optane as swap, and while its better than an hdd, and a bit better than a normal ssd, its still much worse than ram. By then you might aswell just get a laptop with more ram.

It's the late 2017 13 inch HP Spectre x360 (newest 13 incher). I doubt I would ever need anything more than this lovely machine to use as a notebook, so it's worthwhile for me to think of this as a possibility.

From Linus' vid, it would seem that the latency is absolutely tiny. In gaming at least (which should be the same whether using an egpu or not) the video very clearly showed no FPS issues because of the low latency of the Optane.

I should mention that I'm thinking of using it with an EGPU and the optane for helping in case there's need for pagefiling. I know that productivity apps do not do that well, based on Linus's findings. And yes I know that it would be more likely that the CPU will just completely tank before it's an absolute requirement to have more than 8 Gigs of RAM for gaming, but it's still a very interesting topics imo.

Thanks.

Any thoughts? Is there any way to fit an optane ssd into a laptop that fits the best current m.2 SSDs?

Well, if your laptop has an m.2 slot you could put in a 32GB/64GB Intel Optane, and you could advice windows to put the pagefile on Optane, but it would be anyone's guess if you would actually notice any change. I suppose if you have 50+ tabs it might be less slow with optane but I cant say for certain. however if you really want to try it - 32gb optane m.2 aren't expencive  

New Desktop Project (currently work in process)

CPU: Intel Xeon E7-4890V2 @ 3,4GHz (1 of 4)

Mainboard: Supermicro X10QBI

Memory: 32GB DDR3 Reg.  

GPU: AMD Radeon RX Vega 64 (2 of 4)

PSU: Corsair HX1200i

Case: Motherboardbox

On 5/24/2018 at 12:21 PM, Blissed said:

Well, if your laptop has an m.2 slot you could put in a 32GB/64GB Intel Optane, and you could advice windows to put the pagefile on Optane, but it would be anyone's guess if you would actually notice any change. I suppose if you have 50+ tabs it might be less slow with optane but I cant say for certain. however if you really want to try it - 32gb optane m.2 aren't expencive  

This is mainly for future reference, in case gaming with an EGPU will need more than 8gigs of ram for most modern games.

And yeah I would want to try it, although it's not worth it at the moment and it's very likely that the HP Bios will not allow it : (