Are chinese power supplies reliable?

Anduin
Go to solution Solved by Stefan Payne,
1 hour ago, Anduin said:

Hello guys, I'm planning to run two r9 390x on my pc,

Don't.

No, seriously, don't do that!
I have two R9-280X (7970GHz) and at the time it wasn't that bad of an idea. But that was something like 5 Years ago or so.

Today things are a bit different and most games just don't work with multiple graphics cards wich means they either don't work or they cause problems/instabilitys...

But here we are talking about the devil's circle:

Because nobody had/has SLI/CF; the geme developers don't care about it much.

And because the Game Developers don't care much about SLI/CF, nobody buys them.

Wolfenstein the NEw Colossus is one of those Games that don't support two Graphics cards...

1 hour ago, Anduin said:

but my current psu is Corsair cs650m, which obviously won't be enough.

WIthout ANy OC on anything it could be enough for testing purposes/short Benchmark runs.

Though I'm not sure about normal operation because I do not have a Hawaii based graphics card and don't plan on gettin one either...

1 hour ago, Anduin said:

I can get a Thermaltake Smart Pro RGB 850W Bronze for a really good price, but I feel like 850w is cutting it way too close.

YOu feel wrong.

But I wouldn't get a Bronze unit at that wattage.

I'd get a Platinum one if possible or at least a good quality 80plus Gold one.

1 hour ago, Anduin said:

Which leads to the question - is it okay to buy a chinese power supply, and more specifically this one?

Are there any non CHinese made PSU you could buy right now??

Except for the Cooler Master Made in Japan Thingy for 1000 bucks...

But, as usual with such broad questions:
Some are good, many are bad. Without knowing what is good, you'd buy a potato or a lemon.

57 minutes ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

850w is enough, but even then i'd just sell both of them and get a 1070ti/1080 with the money instead. One 390x alone eats a ton of power, let alone 2 of them.

Depends on the 390(x)

There are some with open Power Limit, there are ones without.

At Default they're not that bad, well not worse than other highest end Cards.

But with OC they can be really bad.

But I agree with the non SLI/CF Statement. Two Graphics cards are just something you want to play around with, not because it makes sense or is a good idea.

Hello guys, I'm planning to run two r9 390x on my pc, but my current psu is Corsair cs650m, which obviously won't be enough. I can get a Thermaltake Smart Pro RGB 850W Bronze for a really good price, but I feel like 850w is cutting it way too close. Which leads to the question - is it okay to buy a chinese power supply, and more specifically this one? I know '90 plus gold' doesn't exist, but it does have 5 star rating (then again only 4 votes..) and the ad says 90% efficiency. I saw that people use those power supplies for mining, but couldn't find useful reviews.. 

I'm like 90% sure I'll go with EVGA or Corsair, because we all know that the power supply is like the most important component and if it's unreliable it can kill not only itself but other components as well. But there's like 10% of my consciousness saying 'Hey, it will be alright! Where do you think those branded ones are made?'..

So would you 'risk' it, or would you buy more expensive power supply from established manufacturers? 

850w is enough, but even then i'd just sell both of them and get a 1070ti/1080 with the money instead. One 390x alone eats a ton of power, let alone 2 of them.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

10 minutes ago, Anduin said:

'Hey, it will be alright! Where do you think those branded ones are made?'..

I can't follow your logic. Since some power supplies made in China are good, then every power supply made in the entire country is good as well?

Why not think the opposite - since some PSUs made in China are terrible, then all PSUs made in China are terrible?

We don't know the voltage regulation, load regulation, ripple, transient response, hold-up time, crossload, build quality, used components and reliability of that linked PSU, and it doesn't even have any safety certifications at all, so no, it's not okay to buy it.

I wouldn't buy it, because it sounds too good to be true, and that means that it probably is.

1 hour ago, Anduin said:

Hello guys, I'm planning to run two r9 390x on my pc,

Don't.

No, seriously, don't do that!
I have two R9-280X (7970GHz) and at the time it wasn't that bad of an idea. But that was something like 5 Years ago or so.

Today things are a bit different and most games just don't work with multiple graphics cards wich means they either don't work or they cause problems/instabilitys...

But here we are talking about the devil's circle:

Because nobody had/has SLI/CF; the geme developers don't care about it much.

And because the Game Developers don't care much about SLI/CF, nobody buys them.

Wolfenstein the NEw Colossus is one of those Games that don't support two Graphics cards...

1 hour ago, Anduin said:

but my current psu is Corsair cs650m, which obviously won't be enough.

WIthout ANy OC on anything it could be enough for testing purposes/short Benchmark runs.

Though I'm not sure about normal operation because I do not have a Hawaii based graphics card and don't plan on gettin one either...

1 hour ago, Anduin said:

I can get a Thermaltake Smart Pro RGB 850W Bronze for a really good price, but I feel like 850w is cutting it way too close.

YOu feel wrong.

But I wouldn't get a Bronze unit at that wattage.

I'd get a Platinum one if possible or at least a good quality 80plus Gold one.

1 hour ago, Anduin said:

Which leads to the question - is it okay to buy a chinese power supply, and more specifically this one?

But, as usual with such broad questions:
Some are good, many are bad. Without knowing what is good, you'd buy a potato or a lemon.

57 minutes ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

Depends on the 390(x)

There are some with open Power Limit, there are ones without.

At Default they're not that bad, well not worse than other highest end Cards.

But with OC they can be really bad.

But I agree with the non SLI/CF Statement. Two Graphics cards are just something you want to play around with, not because it makes sense or is a good idea.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Thank you for the answers Guys!

I decided to pass on that PSU, and most likely pass on the 390s, since as @Herman Mcpootis mentioned 1070ti/1080 will perform better and will cost me just a few bucks extra (which I'll save from electricity bills lol).

@OrionFOTL Yeah probably my logic is a bit broken... :D As with everything - some of them are good and some - not that much... 

@Stefan Payne You're right! I just wanted to try multi-GPU even though I know it does make zero sense. 

16 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

IIRC there's some stuff made in Brazil, exclusively for Brazilian markets due to high import taxes.

Just some bapo nerd from 'Straya

PCs:

Main: i7 7700K (5GHz 1.4V) | ASUS GTX 1080 TURBO | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz (3200MHz CL14 1.365V) | ASUS PRIME Z270-AR | Thermaltake SMART 750P | Coolermaster Seidon 240P | Acer Predator X34 (34" 1440p144Hz GSync IPS)

Secondary: i5 3570K | Intel HD4000 (RIP Sapphire HD 6850) | 2x2GB + 1x4GB Kingston 1600MHz | ASUS P8Z68-V LX | Corsair CX650 | Coolermaster Hyper D92 | Sony Bravia VPL-VW80 (108" 1080p60Hz projector)

Laptop: i7 7700HQ | GTX 1060 6GB MXM | 2x16GB SODIMM | OEM Acer Motherboard | 17.3" Screen (1080p60Hz IPS)

iMac: Core 2 Duo T7400 | ATI Radeon X1600 | 2x1GB 667MHz DDR2 | 20" Screen

All desktop PSUs today are made in China.  Labor in Taiwan is too high.  It's getting to the point where labor in China may get too high and some may move to Vietnam, though the Taiwan based PSU manufacturers (CWT, Seasonic, Andyson, Super Flower, etc.) are reluctant because of the language barrier.

The Cooler Master Master Watt Maker 1200 MIJ, which is made in Japan.