PLP 5k Ultraide Setup - will this work?

DarkCJ21

Hey guys and gals,

So, I currently use a 40" 4k TV which i use as a monitor (Sacrilege I know) but it was a cheap way of getting screen real estate for a low price as a student.  I also have two rubbish 4:3 22" monitors as periphals which i despise.  Now i have a bit of money i plan for a change.

I was stuck between a 34" ultrawide and two 27" monitors stuck on the side, or three 32" 4k monitors.  Being a big fan of the ultrawide but finding the step down from 4k to 1440p hard my solution is to keep my 40" 4k as a central display and then just get two 32" 4k monitors but have them in portrait on either side allowing for a resolution of 5040 X 2160 (5K/4k Ultrawide).  An example of this is here

However in my setup i would be using larger side monitors and with higher resolution. My question is basically if this would work? Are there any problems i haven't seen?

The 40" has a ppi of 110, and the 32" of 137.  I know i would have black bars on the 32, that doesn't bother me, but is there a problem running the 32" actually at a lower resolution than intended so that the picture lines up across the screen? i.e i only want it to fill 2160 pixels in the space it has 2700?  I've heard having lower resolutions that don't divide equally into the native can cause blurriness? How bad would this be?

Before you yell, i game as a hobby but want 3 X 4k screens (bigger than 27") for workflow so i will rotate the two side monitors down to normal orientation most of the time.  And yes my graphcis card should be ok for the games i run - i just like the cinema experience (I can sacrifice some texture detail).5afeef3c512e1_Monitorsetup.png.a86acf41debfded497b8e6e82a3f6766.png

Thanks guys,

CJ!

@DarkCJ21

I'm struggling to figure out what you're actually asking about. If you're asking if the display will span but not shrink, I think that would take a bunch of tweaking of settings to achieve. Though it also might not quite be possible in the way you're asking, as you'd have to rescale a program directly, in realtime.

If you wanted to span in PLP mode, what you actually need is for the physical vertical space used on the portrait monitors to match the height of the middle monitor at a 2160 pixels in height. You'd have to measure both monitors carefully, then take the resolution of the side monitor down some to roughly align.