Would this be good for a 24/7 tower ubuntu server.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dell-Precision-T5400-32gb-RAM-Dual-XEON-Quad-3-0Ghz-2x5450-1-TB-Hardisk/163046069385?hash=item25f64d9489:g:bSIAAOSw95la-CH6

would this be the best under £200 24/7 ubuntu server or is there anything better

can i use this  24/7

and finally would this befine for an ubuntu server that would be doing things such as hosting a cloud server, storing my files (when i get new hdd) and running game servers?

also i dont have the room for a rack and i want it to be quieter>

8 minutes ago, Cupar19 said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dell-Precision-T5400-32gb-RAM-Dual-XEON-Quad-3-0Ghz-2x5450-1-TB-Hardisk/163046069385?hash=item25f64d9489:g:bSIAAOSw95la-CH6

would this be the best under £200 24/7 ubuntu server or is there anything better

can i use this  24/7

and finally would this befine for an ubuntu server that would be doing things such as hosting a cloud server, storing my files (when i get new hdd) and running game servers?

also i dont have the room for a rack and i want it to be quieter>

I got the same thing last year.....

....for 40$ (US)

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Just now, Radium_Angel said:

I got the same thing last year.....

....for 40$ (US)

nice , is it worth my price for what i want or what?

Just now, Cupar19 said:

nice , is it worth my price for what i want or what?

its the cheapest one i can find in the uk

Running a game server will be very highly dependent on what game, and what video card is in yours.

Also the power supplies in that are shyte. A proper server would have dual power supplies, like a PowerEdge, but are a LOT louder and your electric bill will go up.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

Running a game server will be very highly dependent on what game, and what video card is in yours.

Also the power supplies in that are shyte. A proper server would have dual power supplies, like a PowerEdge, but are a LOT louder and your electric bill will go up.

video card? i thought that had nothing to do with running a server, not the game but hosting the server and what to dou you mean by bad powersupplies

1 minute ago, Cupar19 said:

video card? i thought that had nothing to do with running a server, not the game but hosting the server and what to dou you mean by bad powersupplies

Bad power supply, as in they suck and are undersized for what you need, and tend to fail. Also, IIRC, they are a funky size in that system so you'll have fun fitting in a new power supply)

The last time I tried to host a game server on a system, I had to upgrade the video card (this was Unturned, from Steam)

Again, what game(s) did you want to host?

Bad power supply, as in they suck and are undersized for what you need, and tend to fail. Also, IIRC, they are a funky size in that system so you'll have fun fitting in a new power supply)

The last time I tried to host a game server on a system, I had to upgrade the video card (this was Unturned, from Steam)

cs:go, minecraft and thats about it

its and 875watt and, do you reccomend any other tower with similar specs for under £200

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

look for something like a dell optiplex 3010.

This system is old and very power hungry. Think about 250w idle

but i was looking for 8 cores

2 minutes ago, Cupar19 said:

but i was looking for 8 cores

core coun't doesn't really matter.

Multithreaded performance does. And those are old chips(think core 2 quad), so a newer i5 will be about the same speed, with much faster system io and much faster single theaded, and no multiprocessor latency.

none of the tasks listed anyways need much cpu power anyways it seems.

the reason i cant get a rack is because my parent say its too large and noisy, they might be able to get pass the size but the noise is just to much 

core coun't doesn't really matter.

Multithreaded performance does. And those are old chips(think core 2 quad), so a newer i5 will be about the same speed, with much faster system io and much faster single theaded, and no multiprocessor latency.

none of the tasks listed anyways need much cpu power anyways it seems.

really, ok ill check them out then

7 minutes ago, Cupar19 said:

the reason i cant get a rack is because my parent say its too large and noisy, they might be able to get pass the size but the noise is just to much 

you can mode the servers to be quiet with some resistors on the fans, but id get a ddr3 system at least like a dell r710

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

you can mode the servers to be quiet with some resistors on the fans, but id get a ddr3 system at least like a dell r710

ok im just checking out hp workstations

how about this? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dell-PowerEdge-T110-II-Xeon-E3-1240-V2-3-4GHz-8GB-No-HDD/132623300089?hash=item1ee0f6f5f9:g:6CIAAOSwg35azMVr

Faster, and much lower power(you probably don't want to pay 30+ a month in power for this guy)

mabye ill have a look at it, but what was wrong with the other (other than power)

Just now, Cupar19 said:

mabye ill have a look at it, but what was wrong with the other (other than power)

mainly power. This is also a server instead of worskation, so you don't have to put a gpu in and you normally get things like better remote management.

mainly power. This is also a server instead of worskation, so you don't have to put a gpu in and you normally get things like better remote management.

ok that seems fine but as it wont be in use 60% of the time power wouldnt be too bad would it, the only reason its on 24/7 is because im not at home when i actualy need it

well ive got to go now so ill look at what you sent and ill keep looking later thanks for the help

1 minute ago, Cupar19 said:

ok that seems fine but as it wont be in use 60% of the time power wouldnt be too bad would it, the only reason its on 24/7 is because im not at home when i actualy need it

how much of a file server are you running? How many tb?

What games?

This should be fine for your use

11 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

how much of a file server are you running? How many tb?

What games?

This should be fine for your use

A 100th file server with max 3people on it, csgo and Minecraft 10 at max 

Just now, Cupar19 said:

A 100th file server with max 3people on it, csgo and Minecraft 10 at max 

10 people