Samsung Galaxy S5 5.25-inch WQHD Display Now In Production

Youbetternot

Fake and ugly.

That's all I have to say about it.

On a side note: yay, let's make a bigger phone so we can put a bigger battery in it. We'll have space for a bigger screen too! We don't care about battery life, we'll just put a bigger battery in our next phone. 

144Hz goodness

That's not the final design, guys. It's a terrible artist rendition that source probably pulled off google images. 

Also all you guys complaining about the battery are basing your expectations on what exactly? The Galaxy S4's battery was no worse than the S3's when moving from 720p to 1080p regardless of the entire internet saying it would.

The same is happening now, and it will most likely carry the same result. The Galaxy S5's battery will get you through a day of use, and you'll charge it at night. Just like any other smart phone. 

Personal Rig: i7 7700K - Asus Strix Z270H - 2x8GB GSkill RGB memory 3000Mhz - EVGA GTX1080ti SC2 - 2X Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - EVGA SuperNOVA 750G2

Actually, I'm not too worried about the battery life of the S5, because the S2 had better battery life than the S1, the S3 had better than the S2, and the S4 had better than the S3. I can assume they will put a 3200mAh battery inside (and if that's not enough for you, you can be sure mugenpower will make a 6000+ mAh battery and a fat back cover or something crazy like that). Also, it's safe to say you can ignore that photo, the likelihood that the S5 will look like that is close to 0.

Now about the display. I hope Samsung will pull it off well, I'm a little bit concerned about that display from a few reasons.

At such high pixel density (559.47 PPI) the pixels are very small

That is leading to smaller subpixels. Sounds good right?! well that might be really good, but that will bring a few challenges, the smaller the AMLOED subpixel is, the less light it can produce for the same amount of power you invested, but that is not only that, it's also not proportionally to it's area (smaller surface area requres a higher current while emitting light). That problem can be solved by increesing the thickness of the PLED (not ideal because that will reduce the efficiency as well), or better, increasing the amount of transparent PLED layers (but more expensive since you need to manufacture in a vacuum involvement and usually in lower temperatures and has a higher rate inconsistency within the layers). another method (that's already being used in the S4 and the note 3) was the expected RGBG layout instead of a traditional RGB layout, this increases the size of each subpixel and helped them to accommodate a more accurate color reproduction, higher brightness and a lower power consumption

source of the images: Anadtech

Galaxy S4:                                                                                                                                                               Galaxy S3:

subpixels.jpgSGS32.jpg

When subpixels are very close to each other, there is more crosstalk (near end crosstalk, to be specific). can't be completely prevented, but can be greatly reduced with a few methods; Switching the layout to RGBG (already done in the S4 and Note 3) in edition to what I mentioned about brightness, this method creates a larger and more even size and distance between the subpixels, meaning the crosstalk will be smaller and more even (which in most cases more important than the amount of crosstalk, because the increase in brightness will be even for all the the pixels around it evenly and creates a slightly whiter image instead of increasing the brightness on one or two colors more then the others). Also a known method (used in most high density LG displays (not sure about Samsung) that they raise the whole light emitting part above the side facing wires and that reduces the crosstalk, often used in conjunction with some type of shielding.

these challenges are not be extremely difficult to overcome, but when you're talking mass production of the potentially most popular phone of 2014.. They might not bring to the table the multilayer implumentation of the AMOLED.. Maybe they will find a way to manufacture it with lower cost, after all.. the are Samsung..

I'm exited and I want to see this in a phone. also, even if this wouldn't be perfect, you still should appreciate the race to higher resolution displays.. 1080p phones will be much cheaper (like 720p phones today)..

Sorry for writing a long one this time..

While I will not spend the money myself for this phone. But in general bring on even higher resolution phones. Will make it cheaper for things like the oculus rift to use, which will be great. 1280x1440 per eye, yes please.

That is leading to smaller subpixels. Sounds good right?! well that might be really good, but that will bring a few challenges, the smaller the AMLOED subpixel is, the less light it can produce for the same amount of power you invested, but that is not only that, it's also not proportionally to it's area (smaller surface area requres a higher current while emitting light).

That doesn't sound right. Smaller pixels does not necessarily produce less light from the same amount of power. I don't really see any reason why each pixel would get a lower light:wattage just because they are smaller. Each one will produce less light but also draw less power, and we will have more of them to counter both of these things.

That problem can be solved by increesing the thickness of the PLED (not ideal because that will reduce the efficiency as well), or better, increasing the amount of transparent PLED layers (but more expensive since you need to manufacture in a vacuum involvement and usually in lower temperatures and has a higher rate inconsistency within the layers). another method (that's already being used in the S4 and the note 3) was the expected RGBG layout instead of a traditional RGB layout, this increases the size of each subpixel and helped them to accommodate a more accurate color reproduction, higher brightness and a lower power consumption

PLED? The SAMOLED displays Samsung makes do not use PLED, they are OLED. Those are two different things and work in different ways. By the way, the subpixel geometry Samsung uses in their SAMOLED panels does not help improve the color accuracy, nor does it increase brightness. It makes absolutely no sense to even think that it would. Not sure about power consumption though, because the screen has fewer pixels and might therefore not have to work as hard.

No idea what you're talking about when you talk about crosstalk either. Are you sure you're not getting stuff about CMOS sensors mixed up with displays? Because I have never heard anyone talk about crosstalk between pixels in displays before, but I have read a lot about crosstalk for pixels in CMOS sensors.

Can you please link to some websites clarifying and proving the things you have mentioned?

All measurements from Anandtech:

Galaxy S - 347 nits (233 PPI)

Galaxy S II - 304 nits (217 PPI)

Galaxy S III - 318 nits (306 PPI)

Galaxy S 4 - 255 nits (441 PPI)

The only one of those that has a standard RGB matrix is the Galaxy S II. Not sure about you, but I don't really see a clear pattern so I think it would be really hard to say anything about the display at this point.

Actually, I'm not too worried about the battery life of the S5, because the S2 had better battery life than the S1, the S3 had better than the S2, and the S4 had better than the S3. I can assume they will put a 3200mAh battery inside (and if that's not enough for you, you can be sure mugenpower will make a 6000+ mAh battery and a fat back cover or something crazy like that). Also, it's safe to say you can ignore that photo, the likelihood that the S5 will look like that is close to 0.
Now about the display. I hope Samsung will pull it off well, I'm a little bit concerned about that display from a few reasons.
At such high pixel density (559.47 PPI) the pixels are very small
That is leading to smaller subpixels. Sounds good right?! well that might be really good, but that will bring a few challenges, the smaller the AMLOED subpixel is, the less light it can produce for the same amount of power you invested, but that is not only that, it's also not proportionally to it's area (smaller surface area requres a higher current while emitting light). That problem can be solved by increesing the thickness of the PLED (not ideal because that will reduce the efficiency as well), or better, increasing the amount of transparent PLED layers (but more expensive since you need to manufacture in a vacuum involvement and usually in lower temperatures and has a higher rate inconsistency within the layers). another method (that's already being used in the S4 and the note 3) was the expected RGBG layout instead of a traditional RGB layout, this increases the size of each subpixel and helped them to accommodate a more accurate color reproduction, higher brightness and a lower power consumption

source of the images: Anadtech
Galaxy S4:                                                                                                                                                               Galaxy S3:

When subpixels are very close to each other, there is more crosstalk (near end crosstalk, to be specific). can't be completely prevented, but can be greatly reduced with a few methods; Switching the layout to RGBG (already done in the S4 and Note 3) in edition to what I mentioned about brightness, this method creates a larger and more even size and distance between the subpixels, meaning the crosstalk will be smaller and more even (which in most cases more important than the amount of crosstalk, because the increase in brightness will be even for all the the pixels around it evenly and creates a slightly whiter image instead of increasing the brightness on one or two colors more then the others). Also a known method (used in most high density LG displays (not sure about Samsung) that they raise the whole light emitting part above the side facing wires and that reduces the crosstalk, often used in conjunction with some type of shielding.

these challenges are not be extremely difficult to overcome, but when you're talking mass production of the potentially most popular phone of 2014.. They might not bring to the table the multilayer implumentation of the AMOLED.. Maybe they will find a way to manufacture it with lower cost, after all.. the are Samsung..

I'm exited and I want to see this in a phone. also, even if this wouldn't be perfect, you still should appreciate the race to higher resolution displays.. 1080p phones will be much cheaper (like 720p phones today)..

Sorry for writing a long one this time..

Oh look someone who knows what they're talking about. Lol what are you doing in this thread? Shoo.

OT: The phone doesn't look bad but it's probably not the real one.

Resolution argument? If this isn't the end of it, 4k will be. There won't ever be an 8k resolution phone.

Battery life? You'll probably get a 4000mah battery in this phone + the resolution increase actually helps it.

Look? Not beautiful not that bad. Better then the ugly ass nokia and other LG phones.

Will I be getting an S5? You bet your sweet ass I will.

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------