The Windows 10 Tantrum

Saxioliken

So I have an ASUS ROG laptop with Windows 10 preinstalled on it. Ever since I got it I have tried to install Windows 7/8/8.1 on it once in a while, but NOTHING worked.

What I tried (the list is TOO LONG, but this is what I can remember only):

- 2 USBs with Rufus (Tried multiple times with the default and tweaked settings): Windows 7 shows an error after the first reboot, the others just freeze

- CD (Tried to burn all of the versions on a CD) - As above

- Running the setup while PC is on (Freezes when booting after the first reboot)

- External HDD (It never shows in my boot list in the BIOS)

I have tried multiple ISOs from the Microsoft website and *ehem* **other websites**.

I still don't understand what is happening. Am I just doomed to be locked on Windows 10 forever? Why would Bill do this? :(

P.S.: Do not ask why I don't want to use Windows 10

Your laptop is also probably too new to run anything pre-Windows 10 without having to preload a ton of drivers.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

9 minutes ago, billstelling said:

preload the sata drivers before installing Windows... The F6 thing to load drivers.

Could you explain what this would do?

8 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Your laptop is also probably too new to run anything pre-Windows 10 without having to preload a ton of drivers.

So is there any fix to this? I really don't want Windows 10

Microsoft doesn't want you to use anything newer than gen 6 without forcing you to be on windows 10, a pain in the ass when it makes no difference for them, other than the money they lose on tracking and advertising. What I did was I used a good old sata cd/dvd drive and an old 2009 installation cd I have laying around. This is the easy way to do it on a desktop, but you probably won't be able to do it like this, since there's probably no external sata connector. Instead what you have to do is download the preload USB drivers from ASUS' website, and install/insert the drivers into the Windows 7 installation file, then rufus it to the USB stick. 

BTW when you are on Windows 7, you will notice that they won't let you update because 'the hardware is not supported' (THE UPDATES THEY RELEASE FOR WINDOWS 10 AND 7 ARE IDENTICAL!!!). So you have to do some good ol' digging for a software called wufuc, which basically unblocks the updates and lets you update.

Microsoft just really want to be hated, it feels (to me) like they do and push the users into all sorts of bullshit for no particular reason, I would understand why if there was a major hardware change between the new generations and the old, or if the kernel was completely rewritten, but at its core, 7 and 10 is the same, but with updated slower 'layers' of software and drivers on top.

CPU: Intel Core I7 7700K & Corsair H100i v2
Mobo: Asus Maximus IX Hero
RAM: 32 Gigs @ 3000Mhz, Corsair Dominator Platinum
GPU: Asus Strix 1080 A8G
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 500gb
PSU: Corsair HX750i
Case: Fractal Design Define S

21 minutes ago, Saxioliken said:

So is there any fix to this? I really don't want Windows 10

If the manufacturer doesn't have drivers available to use on Windows 7 with your hardware, then you're stuck on 10.

Out of curiosity, why do you hate 10 so much?

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

On 12/05/2018 at 10:23 AM, Saxioliken said:

So I have an ASUS ROG laptop with Windows 10 preinstalled on it. Ever since I got it I have tried to install Windows 7/8/8.1 on it once in a while, but NOTHING worked.

What I tried (the list is TOO LONG, but this is what I can remember only):

- 2 USBs with Rufus (Tried multiple times with the default and tweaked settings): Windows 7 shows an error after the first reboot, the others just freeze

- CD (Tried to burn all of the versions on a CD) - As above

- Running the setup while PC is on (Freezes when booting after the first reboot)

- External HDD (It never shows in my boot list in the BIOS)

I have tried multiple ISOs from the Microsoft website and *ehem* **other websites**.

I still don't understand what is happening. Am I just doomed to be locked on Windows 10 forever? Why would Bill do this? :(

P.S.: Do not ask why I don't want to use Windows 10

Can you explain more your problem, and can you describe or take a photo of the error that you're getting?

Are you saying that you're able to successfully install Windows 7, but the issue arises only after booting into the OS after installation is completed?

Out of curiosity, why do you hate 10 so much?

I'm guessing it could be any of that Windows 10 is downgrade from Windows 7 in terms of stability, security, privacy, reliability, control, design, layout, aesthetics, compatibility, gaming, etc.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

11 hours ago, Pangea2017 said:

Linux and a VM with windows 10 for everything which requiers windows.

That would just defeat the purpose :/

18 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

If the manufacturer doesn't have drivers available to use on Windows 7 with your hardware, then you're stuck on 10.

But I can't even get to the part of installing the drivers since I can't install Windows 7 (or 8 or 8.1) ...

If there aren't drivers available for the storage controller for you to use as the first step after booting into the setup program, you're stuck.

I embraced Windows 10 eventually, it isn't really that bad, in all honesty.

5 hours ago, Saxioliken said:

But I can't even get to the part of installing the drivers since I can't install Windows 7 (or 8 or 8.1) ...

You'd have to preload them so they'll run during the boot process.

Honestly, Windows 10 isn't all bad. I eventually chose to go with it instead of going through the headache of staying on 7 and getting that to run. Why are you so against it?

2 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

You'd have to preload them so they'll run during the boot process.

Honestly, Windows 10 isn't all bad. I eventually chose to go with it instead of going through the headache of staying on 7 and getting that to run. Why are you so against it?

It is horrible. I'll make sure I'll get rid of it. I'll try to do what you suggested and see if I can manage to do it

Never give up bruh

What a waste of a ROG, downgrading it to a decade old limited OS :/ 

But to answer your question, this: https://www.theverge.com/2016/1/16/10780876/microsoft-windows-support-policy-new-processors-skylake

You'd have to get an older ISO without the updates, to get older versions of Windows running. I.E a build that pre-dates 2016

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

11 hours ago, Saxioliken said:

I suggested you post specific details about the issue you're encountering, but you haven't done that yet.

You can add drivers to a Windows 7 installer so that they load before the installation takes place.

If you try to install Windows 7 via USB 3, you have to first add a USB 3 driver to the installer, as Windows 7 doesn't have USB 3 drivers installed by default.

Intel has a tool to create a USB 3 bootable Windows 7 image here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000017241/mini-pcs.html

Gigabyte has a similar tool: http://gigabytedaily.blogspot.ca/2015/09/having-trouble-installing-windows-7-by.html

2 hours ago, Jarsky said:

What a waste of a ROG, downgrading it to a decade old limited OS :/ 

But to answer your question, this: https://www.theverge.com/2016/1/16/10780876/microsoft-windows-support-policy-new-processors-skylake

You'd have to get an older ISO without the updates, to get older versions of Windows running. I.E a build that pre-dates 2016

That's not true, any updated ISO of Windows 7 will install on any AMD or Intel CPU. The only thing that link is talking about it Windows Update artificially not being accessible for newer CPUs in an effort by Microsoft to force people to use Windows 10 (which is a major downgrade from Windows 7, if you ask me). And Windows 7 has more freedom in it than Windows 10 does, speaking of what's limited and what isn't.

The latest up-to-date version of Windows 7 can be downloaded from here, and that can be installed with any new Intel / AMD CPU: http://getintopc.com/softwares/operating-systems/

Also, since the block on Windows Update that article is talking about is entirely artificial, it is also entirely disable-able. Just install this patch after installing Windows 7 and Windows Update will be fully functional for all the latest Intel and AMD CPUs: https://github.com/zeffy/wufuc

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

On 12/05/2018 at 10:23 AM, Saxioliken said:

Have you tried disabling Secure Boot in your BIOS? I'm thinking you might be encountering an issue with UEFI (which Windows 7 wasn't designed for use with).

You can either disable UEFI Secure Boot and switch the BIOS to Legacy BIOS before installing Windows 7, or take a look at this guide to install Windows 7 with UEFI Secure Boot enabled:

https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/186875-uefi-unified-extensible-firmware-interface-install-windows-7-a.html

Here are a couple of UEFI-related errors that are possible:

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1016356/

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askcore/2011/05/31/installing-windows-7-on-uefi-based-computer/

"Note:  One of the common issues we see is that users try to install X86 version with UEFI enabled in the bios.  X86 does not support UEFI so you would have to configure the machine for Legacy boot to install X86 versions of Windows.  If you do try to install X86 version setup will run but on the 1st reboot you will get BIOS error similar to “No bootable devices –Strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility.  Press F5 to run onboard diagnostics”"