Possible Upgrade Questions

Go to solution Solved by Exdominator,
On 5/14/2018 at 3:46 PM, TVwazhere said:

Sometimes there's very little difference between boards with similar SKU's from the same manufacturer, and for most users it doesnt matter, so the cheapest is usually the recommended in that situation. In your case, you actually found a rare 1xx chipset board that used DDR3 memory as opposed to DDR4 RAM, which is what almost every board made since 2015 is using. This isnt necessarily a bad thing per say, but it severely limits any motherboard upgrades since if you wanted to keep the RAM, you'd have a hard time finding a good motherboard that supports DDR3 (and buying ram SUCKS in todays market)

First of all thank you for the detailed response i figured some things but i think i lost you somewhere here (in the quoted part).

I said that my motherboard uses DDR4 memory not DDR3 (except if i misanderstood something)

Untitled.png

So i have questions regarding upgrading my pc and this is my build right now (i coudn't afford anything better when i build this)

MB     H110M-S2PV / LGA 1151              GIGABYTE
CPU    Pentium G4400 / BOX / 1151       INTEL
RAM    4 GB DDR4 2400 MHz                 A-DATA
VIDEO  N1050 OC - 2GB DDR5              GIGABYTE
PSU    400W ATX                                     FORTRON

So i obviously have to get to at least 8 GB ram i just need to ask... Is it okay to put ram that has the same clock (2400MHz) but its from a different company?

Also will my MB bottleneck an 8th generation i7-i5? (i dont even know if there is a such a thing as motherboard bottleneck)

Also can you recommend any upgrades?
(I will probably wont upgrade anything but ram in the near future i just want to know my possibilities)

Edit: Forgot to mention that i know this PSU wont do if i upgrade anything else so recommend a psu too if u can. 

Edited by Exdominator

buy the same make and model ram stick so it'll run in dual channel mode.

a better cpu won't be affected by the motherboard

i'd recommend changing the mcdonalds brand power supply to something more fire resistant

Just now, emosun said:

a better cpu won't be affected by the motherboard

i'd recommend changing the mcdonalds brand power supply to something more fire resistant

I had assume that i would probably need the make and model for dual cheneling i just wanted to make sure.

9 minutes ago, Exdominator said:

Also will my MB bottleneck an 8th generation i7-i5?

Your motherboard is not compatible with 8th gen CPU's.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

1 minute ago, TVwazhere said:

Your motherboard is not compatible with 8th gen CPU's.

Thought it would be because it has the same socket... Would you mind posting a link or explain how should i look compatibility?

Just now, Exdominator said:

Thought it would be because it has the same socket... Would you mind posting a link or explain how should i look compatibility?

Use PCPartPicker.com, they have all the compatibility filters built in

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

9 minutes ago, emosun said:

It doesn't have to be same make and model, just same speed and capacity.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Thats what i first though but now im getting confused...

4 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Use PCPartPicker.com, they have all the compatibility filters built in

I cant seem to find my motherboard

Just now, Exdominator said:

Thats what i first though but now im getting confused...

If it's the same speed and capacity, it'll run in dual channel. You should be fine picking up any DDR4-2400 4Gb stick to run 8Gb dual channel.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

4 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

ah ok. I've been on vacation for the past month computers must have changed since then i'll update myself when i get home.

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

If it's the same speed and capacity, it'll run in dual channel. You should be fine picking up any DDR4-2400 4Gb stick to run 8Gb dual channel.

Ok thanks i need this because i cant seem to find the same make and model in the local stores and i dont want to order it from the internet (since its the same price more or less) Thanks a lot!

2 minutes ago, Exdominator said:

I cant seem to find my motherboard

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/kdDzK8/gigabyte-motherboard-gah110ms2pvddr3rev10

It doesnt have a picture and it's not "listed" because you cant buy it new anymore, but it still exists in the data base and if you hit "add to parts lists" it will the show up and the compatibility filters will still work

1 minute ago, TVwazhere said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/kdDzK8/gigabyte-motherboard-gah110ms2pvddr3rev10

It doesnt have a picture and it's not "listed" because you cant buy it new anymore, but it still exists in the data base and if you hit "add to parts lists" it will the show up and the compatibility filters will still work

It says something about DDR3 mine is DDR4... Not sure what rev i found this one but i think its different than mine

17 minutes ago, Exdominator said:

It says something about DDR3 mine is DDR4... Not sure what rev i found this one but i think its different than mine

Might be this one

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/WVBTwP/gigabyte-ga-h110m-s2ph-micro-atx-lga1151-motherboard-ga-h110m-s2ph

5 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Only the last V changes to H on the one u gave me.... It has 1-2 different ports not sure what else changes, anyway im just asking because it has the same socket if someone else can explain to me what am i supposed to look for so i can know what it supports? (it says that it supports 6th and 7th gen processors ) But i bought it before the 8th gen cpus where released... I just want to know what to look for in the future mostly for the sake of knowledge (wrting this down so others can see it too)

On 5/11/2018 at 5:16 PM, Exdominator said:

Only the last V changes to H on the one u gave me.... It has 1-2 different ports not sure what else changes, anyway im just asking because it has the same socket if someone else can explain to me what am i supposed to look for so i can know what it supports? (it says that it supports 6th and 7th gen processors ) But i bought it before the 8th gen cpus where released... I just want to know what to look for in the future mostly for the sake of knowledge (wrting this down so others can see it too)

(Apologies for the late response, I usually take weekends off from the forums ;) )

The 6th and 7th gen Intel chips are supported by the H110, B150 and B250, H170 and 270, and Z170 and Z270, basically the only real difference to note is the Z series is best paired with K series chips in order to be able to overclock (The 6600k/6700K and 7600K/7700K respectively) The 1xx motherboard chipset series launched with the the Skylake 6xxx CPU series, and the 2xx motherboard chipset series launched with the Kabylake 7xxx CPU series. Mostly the difference between Skylake series chipsets and motherboards versus Kabylake was just some minor features, CPU optimizations and maybe some extra RGB features. You can use a Skylake CPU on a Kabylake motherboard with no problem, but for a Skylake motherboard to work with a Kabylake CPU, it will need a BIOS update.

The differences between an H110 and a H170  for example are features  like more ram DIMM slots, more I/O, support for more connections (sata drives, Front I/O USB ports, maybe even more than one m.2 drive) The exact features included on any given motherboard will differ between the motherboard manufacturers, and sometimes even within their own SKU's (Gigabyte s2p vs s2h for example) The differences for each are not always intuitive, and it's often best to "Compare them" (I use newegg, as it can show side by sides of products)

image.png.06467c6efbb8a29b5dbe91f65124f13d.png

Sometimes there's very little difference between boards with similar SKU's from the same manufacturer, and for most users it doesnt matter, so the cheapest is usually the recommended in that situation. In your case, you actually found a rare 1xx chipset board that used DDR3 memory as opposed to DDR4 RAM, which is what almost every board made since 2015 is using. This isnt necessarily a bad thing per say, but it severely limits any motherboard upgrades since if you wanted to keep the RAM, you'd have a hard time finding a good motherboard that supports DDR3 (and buying ram SUCKS in todays market)

The 8th gen motherboards are H310, B360 (AMD took B350) H370 and Z370 (again, Z series boards have the ability to overclock with K series CPU's and generally come with the best features) and use the 8th gen Coffeelake CPU's. Physically speaking, there's no difference between the 6/7th gen and 8th gen CPU's and their sockets (they both still use LGA1151) what differs according to Intel is the power requirements of the 8th gen CPU's. However, there have been tests recently showing a Coffelake CPU POSTing in a Kabylake motherboard, which leads many to believe Intel made the decision for a business reason, not a technical one. (these involve doing a lot of reworking of the BIOS of a motherboard and is nowhere near the realm of possibility for amateurs like us though)

If anyone comes along finds error with what I've wrote please LMK, as I'm not an expert on motherboards specifically. :) 

On 5/14/2018 at 3:46 PM, TVwazhere said:

First of all thank you for the detailed response i figured some things but i think i lost you somewhere here (in the quoted part).

I said that my motherboard uses DDR4 memory not DDR3 (except if i misanderstood something)

Untitled.png

2 hours ago, Exdominator said:

I was just using the above "Comparison" as an example. Didnt mean to imply your board uses DDR3 (it definitely doesnt :P )

23 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

I was just using the above "Comparison" as an example. Didnt mean to imply your board uses DDR3 (it definitely doesnt :P )

Okay anyway thanks for bothering to explain it to me, What i took form all of this is that my mobo cant run with 8th gen processor and if i get 7th gen i will probably need a BIOS update.