4k Screen broke down looking for replacement

Bommijn

Hello, today my 4k screen started flickering and the store is not sure if they will be able to repair it. So im off looking for a new screen.

I'm not quiet sure what to buy though, i have been looking into 2k ultra wide screens going upto 144hz and 4k screens like the one i used to have.

Does anyone one here have both a 4k screen and an ultra wide 2k screen. I'm kinda scared that going from a 4k to 2k ultra wide will be a let down cos its not that sharp.

On the other hand if my screen is able to get repaired id think it be nicer to have 2 almost the same screen next to each other instead of an ultra wide and my old monitor.

I game allot but productivity and fitting allot on my screen is very important to me aswell. 

Does anyone have thoughts on this. 

What are the cons and pro's between ultra wide 2k and 4k screen also do you really notice the pixel density that much between those 2.

Thanks for reading.

I have a LG 27UD68p (Freesync capable, 4k60). It's okay for productivity (the clarity is amazing), but not everyone will want/need/appreciate the small pixel pitch. I dislike knowing I'm barely managing to run most games flat out with a 1080ti.

My partner has an LG 34UM95-P ultrawide at 3440x1440. He runs that off a 1070, and gets better fps than I do more often than not. Still only a 60hz panel, but it matches pretty well with his gpu. 

I would personally recommend going for the 1440p ultrawide option. If i had the choice again, I would too. It's superior for productivity, especially if you get a larger one, and you can game on it without giving up too much fidelity - and on much less powerful hardware. But it's really your call - depends a lot on the rest of your hardware currently and what kind of games you're going to play. If I had an ultrawide 1440 I could probably skip a gpu generation and still be able to play AAA titles at good framerates, but as it stands by this point next year i'll need to upgrade my GPU.

What's a 2k UW? It's like using terms double-wrongly.

If you mean 3440x1440 (I'll call it 1440p UW for short), I have one of those, as well as a regular 16:9 1440p and also 4k very recently.

Short answer is depends on game support. 1440p UW helps in some but not all games. I prefer 16:9 for most. I lean to 1440p simply as it is easier to maintain higher framerates over the detail of 4k.

For desktop use, I prefer multi-monitor 1440p over the UW, which isn't as wide as two monitors next to each other, unless you get the Dell that is. With current state of Windows support for scaling, I didn't find the experience to be nice at 4k. 

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

8 minutes ago, Tabs said:

I have a LG 27UD68p (Freesync capable, 4k60). It's okay for productivity (the clarity is amazing), but not everyone will want/need/appreciate the small pixel pitch. I dislike knowing I'm barely managing to run most games flat out with a 1080ti.

My partner has an LG 34UM95-P ultrawide at 3440x1440. He runs that off a 1070, and gets better fps than I do more often than not. Still only a 60hz panel, but it matches pretty well with his gpu. 

I would personally recommend going for the 1440p ultrawide option. If i had the choice again, I would too. It's superior for productivity, especially if you get a larger one, and you can game on it without giving up too much fidelity - and on much less powerful hardware. But it's really your call - depends a lot on the rest of your hardware currently and what kind of games you're going to play. If I had an ultrawide 1440 I could probably skip a gpu generation and still be able to play AAA titles at good framerates, but as it stands by this point next year i'll need to upgrade my GPU.

yeh i have an regular 1080 atm and most games couldnt run flat 60fps on my 4k60 display thats why i think the 3440x1140 would be better.

But when you look at her display next to yours can you really notice the difference in sharpness. Cos i do love the sharpness even text in a browser is super sharp.

4 minutes ago, porina said:

What's a 2k UW? It's like using terms double-wrongly.

If you mean 3440x1440 (I'll call it 1440p UW for short), I have one of those, as well as a regular 16:9 1440p and also 4k very recently.

Short answer is depends on game support. 1440p UW helps in some but not all games. I prefer 16:9 for most. I lean to 1440p simply as it is easier to maintain higher framerates over the detail of 4k.

For desktop use, I prefer multi-monitor 1440p over the UW, which isn't as wide as two monitors next to each other, unless you get the Dell that is. With current state of Windows support for scaling, I didn't find the experience to be nice at 4k. 

Ment 3440 x 1440 Pixels whit 2k UW. 

Yeh that's true some games give you a noticeable larger fov and than other games give you nothing. desktop wise i would have an 1080p display and the UW or 4k (depending on what ill end up buying). If my old display does get repaired i will have another 4k screen to add to it. for me atm the 4k and my 1080p screen was just not enough virtual space to put all my stuff. The 1440 UW would give me more space than i used to have with my old setup right? I will still keep my old 1080p display for on the side. 

1 minute ago, Bommijn said:

yeh i have an regular 1080 atm and most games couldnt run flat 60fps on my 4k60 display thats why i think the 3440x1140 would be better.

But when you look at her display next to yours can you really notice the difference in sharpness. Cos i do love the sharpness even text in a browser is super sharp.

Ment 3440 x 1440 Pixels whit 2k UW. 

Yeh that's true some games give you a noticeable larger fov and than other games give you nothing. desktop wise i would have an 1080p display and the UW or 4k (depending on what ill end up buying). If my old display does get repaired i will have another 4k screen to add to it. for me atm the 4k and my 1080p screen was just not enough virtual space to put all my stuff. The 1440 UW would give me more space than i used to have with my old setup right? I will still keep my old 1080p display for on the side. 

I do notice it, but that's more because I'm comparing a 27" panel with a 34" panel, than it is due to the resolution. 

I don't have any other points to compare it with, sorry. Even with the difference in physical dimensions, It's not noticeable enough for me to be willing to recommend 3840x2160 over it for most people, considering how much performance you lose in the process. 

You didn't actually say what physical dimensions your damaged 4k panel was - if you get a similarly sized 3440x1440 display, it will be close to impossible to notice in my opinion.

11 minutes ago, Tabs said:

I do notice it, but that's more because I'm comparing a 27" panel with a 34" panel, than it is due to the resolution. 

I don't have any other points to compare it with, sorry. Even with the difference in physical dimensions, It's not noticeable enough for me to be willing to recommend 3840x2160 over it for most people, considering how much performance you lose in the process. 

You didn't actually say what physical dimensions your damaged 4k panel was - if you get a similarly sized 3440x1440 display, it will be close to impossible to notice in my opinion.

I had an 28inch display, id either go for that again or an 34inch (not 100%sure) 1440 panel. 

In sharpness i mean like even the text in a browser i can notice a ton of difference between my 1080p panel im using atm and the one that broke. Text looked so much better its the small things i like aswell. i fear i wont have it on an ultra wide but i might be wrong here since i have never actually used one before. 

8 minutes ago, Bommijn said:

I had an 28inch display, id either go for that again or an 34inch (not 100%sure) 1440 panel. 

In that case you will notice the difference. The only way to know if you'll notice it enough to offset the benefits is to see it in person - any nearby stores where you could have a look at similar panels up close?

2 minutes ago, Tabs said:

In that case you will notice the difference. The only way to know if you'll notice it enough to offset the benefits is to see it in person - any nearby stores where you could have a look at similar panels up close?

I went to a few electronic stores in the city but they didnt have any UW displays nor 4k. So im destined to order on internet. 

Btw just edited my post a bit right when you posted the previous one. ^

18 minutes ago, Bommijn said:

I went to a few electronic stores in the city but they didnt have any UW displays nor 4k. So im destined to order on internet. 

Btw just edited my post a bit right when you posted the previous one. ^

Text definitely isn't as clear on the 34" 3440x1440 compared to the 28" 3840x2160. But that's obvious, right?

I would be very comfortable using 3440x1440 on a day to day basis. I can see the clarity difference if I'm less than a foot away from the 34" panel. If i'm further than that, the text is very similar. At panel sizes like this, scaling starts to play a role.

You'll notice far more difference in day to day usage by changing truetype settings than the resolution difference between the monitors. Nothing beats seeing them in person though, so that's about as much as I can really say. 

Edit: The main time you'll notice the difference is on extremely tiny text. Normal "reading comfort" text size will be fine, but subscript or superscript will be where you notice aliasing.

Edited by Tabs

1 hour ago, Tabs said:

Text definitely isn't as clear on the 34" 3440x1440 compared to the 28" 3840x2160. But that's obvious, right?

I would be very comfortable using 3440x1440 on a day to day basis. I can see the clarity difference if I'm less than a foot away from the 34" panel. If i'm further than that, the text is very similar. At panel sizes like this, scaling starts to play a role.

You'll notice far more difference in day to day usage by changing truetype settings than the resolution difference between the monitors. Nothing beats seeing them in person though, so that's about as much as I can really say. 

Edit: The main time you'll notice the difference is on extremely tiny text. Normal "reading comfort" text size will be fine, but subscript or superscript will be where you notice aliasing.

Alright thanks, all your info helped allot and i have decided to go for the 3440x1440 display. :)