Heat sink for an oldie

ShoByte

Somebody I know has a i7 2600 and is running at about 90C under load. The heat sink is some rosewill, i think it's this one, Rosewill Heat sink Moreover it's with a top mounted psu, so it's cooking his power supply. The case is micro atx and there is no cable routing.

Would a gammax 400 and swapping the case to a bottom load psu would be adequate? Or, should we just swap the case out?

This system will never be overclocked.

That Rosewill cooler is just another Intel stock cooler lol. A Gammax 400 could solve the heat issue, or a Hyper 212 Evo is also very nice as well. Adding 1-2 more case fans is probably a good idea as well.

I would have to case swap it to install a tower cooler. I was team AMD at that time. Were the stock heat sinks that bad for the i7?

I've always had problems with tower coolers and RAM clearance. this is the mobo gigabyte mobo

5 minutes ago, James Evens said:

What counts for the PSU is the watt putt out by the cpu not the temp of the cpu (in reality just the ambient temp). Keeping the cpu cooler is not needed to help the psu. Just make sure there is a decend air flow to the exhaust fan.

This case is so bad even with a 80mm fan it's crap. The psu fan is catching all the heat dump from the cpu. I could use it as a hand dryer. The case has to be swapped no matter what. It's more of a question of, is it worth it to swap the cooler as well.

14 minutes ago, ShoByte said:

Somebody I know has a i7 2600 and is running at about 90C under load. The heat sink is some rosewill, i think it's this one, Rosewill Heat sink Moreover it's with a top mounted psu, so it's cooking his power supply. The case is micro atx and there is no cable routing.

Would a gammax 400 and swapping the case to a bottom load psu would be adequate? Or, should we just swap the case out?

This system will never be overclocked.

Same coolers anyway, most coolers still support that socket, since many of the most popular ones were released before it, just get a hyper 212, or an nhd15.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

System specs?

Where are you shopping / located? Budget?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

it's a i7 2600

canada

cheap

like about $27 CAD

I know all the heat sinks mentioned will fit the 1155. However, my main concern is will the fan run into the memory. I have a tower cooler on my Ryzen and the fan sits right on the memory.

That cooler shouldn't be anywhere near i7's except for cooking purposes.A 212 evo or a be quiet! cooler will be fine on the 2600.

These are some coolers in Canada you can look at.

Option 1
Option 2

Option 3

Option 4

Option 5

They are all under $30 CAD and are off newegg.ca.

My personal choices would be option 1, 4 and 5. Out of those, open the specs and choose what will fit for you and what specs are the best for you.

TJ

hi.

I think the gammax would clear the ram modules. Not sure though

8 hours ago, ShoByte said:

I know all the heat sinks mentioned will fit the 1155. However, my main concern is will the fan run into the memory. I have a tower cooler on my Ryzen and the fan sits right on the memory.

8 hours ago, ShoByte said:

I think the gammax would clear the ram modules. Not sure though

We need to know what RAM is used to determinate that. If its standard kit without heatsinks, then all coolers will fit fine.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

14 hours ago, ShoByte said:

like about $27 CAD

What case and fans are you using?

Make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

What case and fans are you using?

Make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

It's an old acer matx case that it's in now. That thing has to change cooler or no cooler.

7 hours ago, ShoByte said:

It's an old acer matx case that it's in now. That thing has to change cooler or no cooler.

Do you know how much clearance you have for a cooler? If you're not sure, you can use a ruler to measure the distance between the socket and side panel.

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

Do you know how much clearance you have for a cooler? If you're not sure, you can use a ruler to measure the distance between the socket and side panel.

Don't have the machine on hand unfortunately.

9 minutes ago, ShoByte said:

Don't have the machine on hand unfortunately.

Do you know the model name of the system?

Just now, WoodenMarker said:

Do you know the model name of the system?

ga-b75m-d3h rev 1.2

Just now, ShoByte said:

ga-b75m-d3h rev 1.2

That's the motherboard but not the system name. Prebuilts usually have a sticker on the side with a model name.

Just now, WoodenMarker said:

That's the motherboard but not the system name. Prebuilts usually have a sticker on the side with a model name.

Oh lol it's not pre built. We just crammed in parts into an Acer case I had lying around.

5 minutes ago, ShoByte said:

Oh lol it's not pre built. We just crammed in parts into an Acer case I had lying around.

So no model name? Can you post some photos of the case?

I don't have the computer with me and the owner is asleep now. I can try and find a picture of it.