Nine Inch Nails to fight ticket bots by not selling tickets online

WMGroomAK
5 hours ago, dizmo said:

You say that, but reselling tickets is actually incredibly lucrative. That's why there's companies that do that exclusively. It's not just individuals going out and reselling tickets.

I don't think people actually camp outside of a restaurant for that long for $200. For $1,000, or $1,500 off? Sure. You also have to consider the fact that not everyone can get extra hours at the job the work at, or might not have the ability to get a second job.

They have the three days to sit and camp out... Sure everyone's situation is different but I'd imagine most, even in the relatively small group of people who do this, could do whatever they did to free up that time more frequently and work another job. Maybe they justify to themselves that it's fun, it's not about the money, but I still don't understand it.

That's crazy. How much do they typically make?

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

50 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

should the ticket system be designed that an entrance proof is only pegged to the original buyer? (e.g. you need a ticket and an ID (/active app) that is hopefully pegged to the ticket to enter?)

That is something which is already a thing in some countries(the Uk and Netherlands so far I'm aware) and depending on the organizer/venue there might even be a separate market place for people that have to sell their tickets for whatever reason, with a set limit on the max price(~10% max above original price) while keeping everything bound to a persons Identification Card/passport, other organizations use the ID/passport verification, but don't allow them to be sold at all against scalpers, not even a managed market place.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

Sales on the day of the event, in person? Hell no.

If I want to buy a ticket, I ain't standing in line when the possibility exist that there isn't any good tickets left. Nor am I camping out 3 days prior to buy a fucking ticket like some people(the ones who will be reselling them) are likely to do.
There's a damn good reason why online ticket sales took off like it did, because you don't need to wait in a god damn line for who knows how long and still get shit tickets that places you all the way in the back and the artists look like ants. Might as well just watch the damn thing on TV/DVD/BD at that point.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

17 hours ago, Xanthe_2871 said:

They have the three days to sit and camp out... Sure everyone's situation is different but I'd imagine most, even in the relatively small group of people who do this, could do whatever they did to free up that time more frequently and work another job. Maybe they justify to themselves that it's fun, it's not about the money, but I still don't understand it.

That's crazy. How much do they typically make?

I don't know why you seem so stuck on this three day time frame. Most people just wait a few hours before the ticket booth opens. 

The company my friend worked for made millions of dollars a year. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

19 hours ago, dizmo said:

I don't know why you seem so stuck on this three day time frame. Most people just wait a few hours before the ticket booth opens. 

The company my friend worked for made millions of dollars a year. 

Maybe they should switch to a DNA based ticketing system! 

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

On 5/10/2018 at 12:51 PM, Lathlaer said:

They could've gone for similar system as Ticketmaster for various shows ("Hamilton" in the UK included) - you "buy" the ticket online but you technically don't get one until you show up at the venue with printed confirmation copy, some kind of ID and the same credit card that was used to purchase the tickets. Then they swipe your credit card again at the entrance and your tickets are printed on the spot while you enter. 

Not foolproof because the human element can fail but still it's quite secure AND you are guaranteed to get a ticket if you bought online.

That works, but might be too expensive to expect it on every venue they tour on. Yes even a band like NIN probably doesn't plays full football stadiums every night and telling venues they have to implement that system is basically inviting even worst fuck ups.

Then again I might be grossly underestimating NIN popularity here and perhaps they would be big enough for this system, but well as a more long-term solution I think this issue stands.

-------

Current Rig

-------

LOL

Good luck with that stupid strategy. I am supposed to wait in line and possibly don´t get any or crappy tickets. Hell no, not even for my favorite band

On 14.05.2018 at 3:25 AM, Misanthrope said:

That works, but might be too expensive to expect it on every venue they tour on. Yes even a band like NIN probably doesn't plays full football stadiums every night and telling venues they have to implement that system is basically inviting even worst fuck ups.

Then again I might be grossly underestimating NIN popularity here and perhaps they would be big enough for this system, but well as a more long-term solution I think this issue stands.

True it all depends on the circumstances - the main reason being how fast the tickets sell. When new batch of Hamilton tickets launched in London people were creating support groups on fb just to be able to buy them the minute online sales start.

When I got mine, I made a whole week trip to London out of the event and although it's a fantastic city, there is no way I would fly there and book a hotel if I didn't know my tickets were a sure thing :)

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones