Is it possible for me to move my os to an ssd from a hdd?

Hello,

I just wanted to know if there was a way to move the os on my hard drive to an ssd, if I bought one?

Any answers would be helpful for me.

1 minute ago, Kragos said:

Hello,

I just wanted to know if there was a way to move the os on my hard drive to an ssd, if I bought one?

Any answers would be helpful for me.

Yes.  Samsung has very good software that will migrate you OS.

A fresh install is best, but migration is an option.

You can clone your whole harddrive to a SSD using something like EaseUS, however for this option there should not be more data on the harddrive than will fit on the SSD. Also this requires you to connect your SSD externally (over USB) if I recall correctly.

PSU tier list // Motherboard tier list // Community Standards 

My System:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte RTX 3060TI Gaming OC ProFractal Design Meshify C TG, 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz, MSI B450 Gaming Plus MaxSamsung 850 EVO 512GB, 2TB WD BlueCorsair RM850x, LG 27GL83A-B

3 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

Yes.  Samsung has very good software that will migrate you OS.

A fresh install is best, but migration is an option.

Does a fresh install require me to buy windows again?

Just now, Kragos said:

Does a fresh install require me to buy windows again?

No, but it will mess with your files on that drive.  The option to keep your files when restoring only works for microsoft applications so you need to move things off your C: drive and back them up when you do it.

5 minutes ago, martward said:

You can clone your whole harddrive to a SSD using something like EaseUS, however for this option there should not be more data on the harddrive than will fit on the SSD. Also this requires you to connect your SSD externally (over USB) if I recall correctly.

That would be a problem because I have a nearly full 1TB HDD, and just want to get a SSD to run windows.

9 minutes ago, Kragos said:

That would be a problem because I have a nearly full 1TB HDD, and just want to get a SSD to run windows.

It will work if the data you are cloning is less than the capacity of the new drive.  1TB hd with only 300gb used, to a 500gb ssd = no problem.  It seems that you need to clean some stuff up by moving it to another drive prior to a clone, or get a 1TB ssd :) I use acronis to do clones all the time.  

R7 5800x -:- Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming -:- EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX3080 -:- EVGA 850 GA -:- 32GB G.Skill TridentZ Neo  -:- Asus TUF GT501

14 minutes ago, ad1das said:

It will work if the data you are cloning is less than the capacity of the new drive.  1TB hd with only 300gb used, to a 500gb ssd = no problem.  It seems that you need to clean some stuff up by moving it to another drive prior to a clone, or get a 1TB ssd :) I use acronis to do clones all the time.  

Do games load faster on an ssd or would they load faster from my hdd with the os on the ssd?

2 minutes ago, Kragos said:

Do games load faster on an ssd or would they load faster from my hdd with the os on the ssd?

Anything installed on a ssd will always load faster than something installed on a standard drive.  

R7 5800x -:- Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming -:- EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX3080 -:- EVGA 850 GA -:- 32GB G.Skill TridentZ Neo  -:- Asus TUF GT501

8 minutes ago, ad1das said:

Anything installed on a ssd will always load faster than something installed on a standard drive.  

But would they still load faster if my os is on the ssd, or do I need to install my games onto the ssd?

21 minutes ago, Kragos said:

But would they still load faster if my os is on the ssd, or do I need to install my games onto the ssd?

No REAL point. Many lobbies/Games have a countdown now. Even if you got in first,... your locked in waiting for 50% of the players before it really begins.

Some games do benefit - I liked BF3 loaded so fast....only to wait 30s or so for everyone else, before the timer actually started,... kinda useless being on an SSD tho,.. waiting for others...
World of Tanks, I load so FAST, but still have a 30s countdown at the start.

World of Warships has a great benefit in loading times on SSD (thousands of tiny picture files make up one ship....many ships to load)

But still a countdown,... and a normal HDD beats the countdown.

As long as Windows (thousands of operations/samples per second) isnt happening on the drive your games run from,.... any (modern) mechanical drive is fine really.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I've had excellent luck migrating from an HDD to an SSD using Macrium Reflect (i recommend using Macrium Reflect Free ). I've had problems with other migration and cloning programs if more than two partitions are involved.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

You need to install your games onto the SSD if you pursue speed, because SSD has much faster speed to load games to RAM. You can clone the HDD to SSD if the SSD has enough space to hold contents on the HDD, or you can migrate OS and installed programs only to SSD. Both Samsung Data Migration tool and third party partitioning tools like MiniTool partition wizard could help you do this.