Laptop for school Lenovo ideapad

I went to Micro Center looking to get a laptop for school. I went in planning to get an LG Gram or a Dell XPS 13, but they didn't have the combination of features i wanted; namely, a touch screen, at least 256g ssd for  as close to 1000 as possible. I after looking at the different options i grabbed a Lenovo ideapad flex 5 1470. Its got an i5 but  I don't need it for any engineering programs, photo or video editing. As far as i can tell i only need it to take notes and type papers on, and maybe watch a video on YouTube.  All of the features seem on the lighter side but the with tax total was about $710.  I have not opened the box yet because i wanted to be a little more certain this was a good deal, and not just a junky laptop that i will have to replace an hour after the warranty is up.  Are the Dell XPS 13 and LG Gram options that much better considering they are $400+? How significant is an i7 on a laptop?  Any input or experience with any of the products is appreciated. 

Link is the product i purchased 

http://www.microcenter.com/product/484954/Flex_5_14_2-in-1_Laptop_Computer_-_Black

I found the flexs to be a little overpriced. Really for the use case you are defining I would suggest getting a tablet with a good pen for note taking.

Throw in a usb keyboard and you have everything you need for a significantly lesser price, typing quality probably wont be up to snuff though.

25 minutes ago, joejak44 said:

You should just buy a $100 or so Fire HD 10 android tablet with a bluetooth keyboard and call it a day.

Or buy a used Thinkpad with an older i5 for easily under $400 and just toss in a new SSD/battery.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

47 minutes ago, joejak44 said:

I went to Micro Center looking to get a laptop for school. I went in planning to get an LG Gram or a Dell XPS 13, but they didn't have the combination of features i wanted; namely, a touch screen, at least 256g ssd for  as close to 1000 as possible. I after looking at the different options i grabbed a Lenovo ideapad flex 5 1470. Its got an i5 but  I don't need it for any engineering programs, photo or video editing. As far as i can tell i only need it to take notes and type papers on, and maybe watch a video on YouTube.  All of the features seem on the lighter side but the with tax total was about $710.  I have not opened the box yet because i wanted to be a little more certain this was a good deal, and not just a junky laptop that i will have to replace an hour after the warranty is up.  Are the Dell XPS 13 and LG Gram options that much better considering they are $400+? How significant is an i7 on a laptop?  Any input or experience with any of the products is appreciated. 

Link is the product i purchased 

http://www.microcenter.com/product/484954/Flex_5_14_2-in-1_Laptop_Computer_-_Black

Try grabbing a used thinkpad T440p and slot in your own ssd and 16gb of ram. If you want, you can even upgrade it to something like a 4700mq if you want a quad core.

8086k Winner BABY!!

Main rig

CPU: R7 5800x3d (-25 all core CO 102 bclk)

Board: Gigabyte B550 AD UC

Cooler: Corsair H150i AIO

Ram: 32gb HP V10 RGB 3200 C14 (3733 C14) tuned subs

GPU: EVGA XC3 RTX 3080 (+120 core +950 mem 90% PL)

Case: Thermaltake H570 TG Snow Edition

PSU: Fractal ION Plus 760w Platinum  

SSD: 1tb Teamgroup MP34  2tb Mushkin Pilot-E

Monitors: 32" Samsung Odyssey G7 (1440p 240hz), Some FHD Acer 24" VA

GFs System

CPU: E5 1660v3 (4.3ghz 1.2v)

Mobo: Gigabyte x99 UD3P

Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO

Ram: 32gb Crucial Ballistix 3600 C16 (3000 C14)

GPU: EVGA RTX 2060 Super 

Case: Phanteks P400A Mesh

PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650w

SSD: Kingston NV1 2tb

Monitors: 27" Viotek GFT27DB (1440p 144hz), Some 24" BENQ 1080p IPS

I would just buy something tough and within your budget.

7 hours ago, joejak44 said:

Are the Dell XPS 13 and LG Gram options that much better considering they are $400+?

Every model has its own pros and cons. i7 ULV isn't much faster than i5 ULV due to cooling and TDP limitations.

Could you list out what are your requirements?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

I want something with a touch screen, keyboard with firmer keys, at least 256g ssd, 7 + hour battery life, and responsive to use. I have a tablet that takes upwards of 3 minutes to load web pages. So i'm hesitant to go with the tablet + keyboard option. This may not be reverent, but I will not have a desktop anymore. I need this product to last me at least 4 years because i plan on participating in a study abroad program and i don't want to have to purchase a new computer before im finished with that program. I have found some good reviews on the product but im not sure if i should just go with a super bare bones option and save even more so it doesnt sting as much if it craps out early, or if there is a serious build quality difference on a higher end product that warrants paying $1000-$1300 for what looks like  an i7 8 more gigs of ram and a larger ssd.  Thanks to all of you for your investment thus far; your opinions are valued.

1 hour ago, joejak44 said:

touch screen, keyboard with firmer keys, at least 256g ssd, 7 + hour battery life, and responsive to use

tablet + keyboard option

last me at least 4 years

Consider Thinkpad X1 or Thinkpad Yoga series. Solid build quality and keyboard, good battery life, 2 in 1 with touchscreen. If you don't want to spend much, X380 Yoga. X1 Carbon 6th gen if you can spend more. L380 Yoga is a cheaper option but there are compromises. Check reviews from Notebookcheck before buying.

You can upgrade RAM and SSD after purchase, in some cases it will not void your warranty

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128