Corsair Power Supplies killing hard drives?

Go to solution Solved by Snipergod87,

I haven't seen this myself, have a HX1000, CX450 (2017), RM750x, and CX850 (2017) without issues, make sure you only use the power cables that come with the powersupply and not ones from another.

Though you might find this an interesting read on SATA 3.3

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/hdd-sata-power-disable-feature,36146.html

I was building a PC for a friend of mine and when we powered it on the first time the hard drive was not detected. I tried the drive on my system and it spun up but wasn't recognized by my system. My friend went to a local shop and bought a new hard drive. When he plugged everything in and started up the system the drive spun up for a second and then sputtered out. I did a few minutes of searching on google and it seems that similar things have been happening to other people with corsair power supplies or at least using the cables from them.

....did you format the drive first though? if it's a new drive you new to format it in the disk management area

2 minutes ago, The Viking said:

....did you format the drive first though? if it's a new drive you new to format it in the disk management area

The drives never functioned. They didn't survive to the bios.

2 minutes ago, KingTdiGGiTTy said:

The drives never functioned. They didn't survive to the bios.

mm. Did you try a different power cable for the drive/plug on the PSU?

I haven't seen this myself, have a HX1000, CX450 (2017), RM750x, and CX850 (2017) without issues, make sure you only use the power cables that come with the powersupply and not ones from another.

Though you might find this an interesting read on SATA 3.3

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/hdd-sata-power-disable-feature,36146.html

1 hour ago, The Viking said:

mm. Did you try a different power cable for the drive/plug on the PSU?

I did but by that point the drives were already toast. I think the second drive was killed by a second cable but I don't really want to test my theory.

1 hour ago, Snipergod87 said:

I haven't seen this myself, have a HX1000, CX450 (2017), RM750x, and CX850 without issues, make sure you only use the power cables that come with the powersupply and not ones from another.

The cables that come with the PSU's seem to be the problem.

Just now, KingTdiGGiTTy said:

Added a URL to my post above, it may be relevant.

1 minute ago, KingTdiGGiTTy said:

I did but by that point the drives were already toast. I think the second drive was killed by a second cable but I don't really want to test my theory.

sucks. Test with a different PSU and try to have corsair replacing the psu+lost drives.

cooler master has nice psus, but i´ven ever had issues with corsair's.

though i'll never buy corsair again for psus either due to the insane coil whine on mine.

2 hours ago, The Viking said:

sucks. Test with a different PSU and try to have corsair replacing the psu+lost drives.

cooler master has nice psus, but i´ven ever had issues with corsair's.

though i'll never buy corsair again for psus either due to the insane coil whine on mine.

Every brand can have coil whine, I've had PSUs from dozens of brands that have had coil whine...

Just some bapo nerd from 'Straya

PCs:

Main: i7 7700K (5GHz 1.4V) | ASUS GTX 1080 TURBO | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz (3200MHz CL14 1.365V) | ASUS PRIME Z270-AR | Thermaltake SMART 750P | Coolermaster Seidon 240P | Acer Predator X34 (34" 1440p144Hz GSync IPS)

Secondary: i5 3570K | Intel HD4000 (RIP Sapphire HD 6850) | 2x2GB + 1x4GB Kingston 1600MHz | ASUS P8Z68-V LX | Corsair CX650 | Coolermaster Hyper D92 | Sony Bravia VPL-VW80 (108" 1080p60Hz projector)

Laptop: i7 7700HQ | GTX 1060 6GB MXM | 2x16GB SODIMM | OEM Acer Motherboard | 17.3" Screen (1080p60Hz IPS)

iMac: Core 2 Duo T7400 | ATI Radeon X1600 | 2x1GB 667MHz DDR2 | 20" Screen

3 hours ago, KingTdiGGiTTy said:

He's saying that you can't be swapping cables from different PSUs around and that's typically how a PSU would kill a drive.

If you used, say, cabled from an RMi with a Corsair CX650M, then you'd probably find that your drives don't work any more because the pinouts are different on each PSU, sending voltage the wrong way through the cable.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

6 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

He's saying that you can't be swapping cables from different PSUs around and that's typically how a PSU would kill a drive.

If you used, say, cabled from an RMi with a Corsair CX650M, then you'd probably find that your drives don't work any more because the pinouts are different on each PSU, sending voltage the wrong way through the cable.

RMi and CXm SATA Cables are cross compatible :P

Just some bapo nerd from 'Straya

PCs:

Main: i7 7700K (5GHz 1.4V) | ASUS GTX 1080 TURBO | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz (3200MHz CL14 1.365V) | ASUS PRIME Z270-AR | Thermaltake SMART 750P | Coolermaster Seidon 240P | Acer Predator X34 (34" 1440p144Hz GSync IPS)

Secondary: i5 3570K | Intel HD4000 (RIP Sapphire HD 6850) | 2x2GB + 1x4GB Kingston 1600MHz | ASUS P8Z68-V LX | Corsair CX650 | Coolermaster Hyper D92 | Sony Bravia VPL-VW80 (108" 1080p60Hz projector)

Laptop: i7 7700HQ | GTX 1060 6GB MXM | 2x16GB SODIMM | OEM Acer Motherboard | 17.3" Screen (1080p60Hz IPS)

iMac: Core 2 Duo T7400 | ATI Radeon X1600 | 2x1GB 667MHz DDR2 | 20" Screen

5 hours ago, awesomegamer919 said:

Every brand can have coil whine, I've had PSUs from dozens of brands that have had coil whine...

yes, I know, but the coil whine on the Corsair RM1000i 1000W seems to be a common issue and it really is insanely loud, compared to other psus from them or cooler master, that I've used. 

Keep in mind we're talking about a 200 euros PSU. So yeah, i'm "entitled" to not be happy with it and, next time, buy something from somebody else. In like 10 years, when the warranty on this one expires :P

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/5/2018 at 11:37 PM, STRMfrmXMN said:

I did not swap cables

On 5/5/2018 at 5:56 PM, KingTdiGGiTTy said:

I did a few minutes of searching on google and it seems that similar things have been happening to other people with corsair power supplies or at least using the cables from them.

If you Google enough, you can find anyone with any common problem.  I'm telling you from first hand experience, the likelihood that a new Corsair PSU is killing new hard drives IF YOU ARE USING THE CABLES THAT CAME WITH THE PSU is .0000001%

On 5/6/2018 at 2:32 AM, Guest The Viking said:

yes, I know, but the coil whine on the Corsair RM1000i 1000W seems to be a common issue and it really is insanely loud, compared to other psus from them or cooler master, that I've used. 

Again:  Google a problem and you will find others with the same problem.  Coil whine in the RM1000i is definitely not common.

1 hour ago, KingTdiGGiTTy said:

I did not swap cables

Are you sure?  Because what you're describing sounds EXACTLY like the wrong cables were used.  

Which Corsair PSU is this?  What do the cable connectors say on the sides?  Type 3?  Type 4?  Nothing?

Where did you buy the PSU?  Was it refurbished or new?

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 4:35 PM, jonnyGURU said:

If you Google enough, you can find anyone with any common problem.  I'm telling you from first hand experience, the likelihood that a new Corsair PSU is killing new hard drives IF YOU ARE USING THE CABLES THAT CAME WITH THE PSU is .0000001%

Again:  Google a problem and you will find others with the same problem.  Coil whine in the RM1000i is definitely not common.

Are you sure?  Because what you're describing sounds EXACTLY like the wrong cables were used.  

Which Corsair PSU is this?  What do the cable connectors say on the sides?  Type 3?  Type 4?  Nothing?

Where did you buy the PSU?  Was it refurbished or new?

1. If there isn't a problem no one else will have the problem.

2. Of course I'm sure I'm not mixing cables. Its not like I just have some extra cables or, that I did the, "if it fits in the hole it must be the right cable". 

Also this topic was marked as solved, but thanks for your input.

I have a Corsair CX550M, and occasionally after a restart, my HDD wouldn't be detected by my BIOS although it did spin up as normal.

I switched the SATA port, and so far that's fixed the problem.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

5 hours ago, KingTdiGGiTTy said:

1. If there isn't a problem no one else will have the problem.

Not necessarily true.

And especially in electronics ists wrong to assume that because someone else has a Problem that sounds like yours it has the same cause.

There are a million reasons for something to go wrong that might look the same but have totally different causes...

Or as people like to say: Its (almost) never the Coil!

Anyway:
Get your multimeter out.

And do some measuring.

You should get the Pinout from an Adaptor with the colored  pins. The Yellow is +12V, red +5V and black GND.

Other possibility:
Broken S-ATA Cable

Bad Motherboard

Doesn't necessarily have to be the PSU.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

13 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Not necessarily true.

And especially in electronics ists wrong to assume that because someone else has a Problem that sounds like yours it has the same cause.

There are a million reasons for something to go wrong that might look the same but have totally different causes...

Or as people like to say: Its (almost) never the Coil!

Anyway:
Get your multimeter out.

And do some measuring.

You should get the Pinout from an Adaptor with the colored  pins. The Yellow is +12V, red +5V and black GND.

Other possibility:
Broken S-ATA Cable

Bad Motherboard

Doesn't necessarily have to be the PSU.

Most modern power supplies don't have colored cables.

This was helpful https://www.tomshardware.com/news/hdd-sata-power-disable-feature,36146.html

Someone brought up the fact that a brand-new powersupply probably doesn't have broken cables in the box.

The motherboard was fine. THE ISSUE HAS BEEN SOLVED 

• 2 years later...

so in like 2017 i built my first computer it has a corsair 650hx psu. anyways when i first pout it together i used an m.2 but had an old hard drive laying around. when i plugged the hard drive in nothing... nothing in the bios like the drive was dead. so i forgot about it and moved on. 2 years later i go to plug in the hard drive from my broken laptop to recover the data. drive was dead. i was like thats weird but I did drop the laptop and broke the screen. so today i go to give this computer to a friend as a gift... and he wants to use his hard drive, i had moved my m.2 to my new pc. so we plug it in drives is dead... but it was just working on a different pc... so we go and buy a new hard drive. and i plug it in. and its dead. it was at this point i realized my psu had fried 4 hdds over the years and im just finding out now. the only sata power cable i ever had to use was the one that the psu came with. and after looking up the pin outs for the accesories online. in my sata cable a 12 v hot rail was in a spot where there is suposed to be no pin at all on one of the middle pins. and the spot where it was suposed to go was empty. this does not match any existing accesory plug layout i could find online. sometimes manufacturers just f up.

-= Locked =-

@jackofallglass please don't revive topics with the orange banner.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER