CPU temps are significantly high after disabling overclock profle

So for kicks and giggles, I was over clocking my CPU for a little wile and decided to put my settings back to normal.

But now my temperatures will not drop.

My system is liquid cooled so my idle temps use to be around ~27c

but after I applied a over clock and put my CPU configuration back to normal, my temps jumped up to a average of ~45c now.

Ive done everything from resetting the BIOS setting all the way to flashing the BIOS and the problem still persist.

And my liquid cooling loop has a 240mm radiator and a GTX 1080 SC from EVGA (although this normally caused no problems at all.)

so now I am out of ideas of whats causing the problem and how to fix it.

Update: this also up my load temps to ~50-55c

Update 2 : my PSU is a EVGA 500 watt power supply that i had for around two years now. And I want to roll out the possibility of my PSU failing.

45c under load or idle....

i'd start with a reseat of the cooler and re-application of thermal paste. 

Just now, GrandFatMan said:

45c under load or idle....

thats idle

i'd start with a re seat, and how long have you tested for, have you given the water a chance to reach equilibrium 

1 minute ago, GrandFatMan said:

i'd start with a re seat, and how long have you tested for, have you given the water a chance to reach equilibrium 

I've given the water an hour or two and the temps average around ~45c, but ill try re seating the CPU.

that would be my first course of action. then go from there

are the temps in line with what you were getting on the overclock.....

MOD EDIT: You don't need to split what would be a single post into many.

2 minutes ago, weezle1234 said:

I've given the water an hour or two and the temps average around ~45c, but ill try re seating the CPU.

Idle temps don't matter, load temps do. Also, did you bring the voltage back down to normal? And did the fan speed profile for the cooler change at all?

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

19 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Idle temps don't matter, load temps do. Also, did you bring the voltage back down to normal? And did the fan speed profile for the cooler change at all?

the fans should be the same since they are powered by molex connectors. and the voltages are my motherboards default voltages (1.232v, it a ASUS board)

Ok, so I reseated my CPU cooler and my temps dropped ~1-2c. but no change. 

1 minute ago, weezle1234 said:

Ok, so I reseated my CPU cooler and my temps dropped ~1-2c. but no change. 

What did you have your voltage set to before, vs now? If there was no other change other than an overclock profile being disabled, the voltages might be higher somehow.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

8 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

What did you have your voltage set to before, vs now? If there was no other change other than an overclock profile being disabled, the voltages might be higher somehow.

Before had, I don't know, I always let the BIOS always set the CPU voltage, even when I did do a overclock, I'd let the ASUS utility set a overclock. So maybe the voltage may be higher somehow. 

Altho the last time I did overclock, messed with something called PPL bandwidth and set it to level 10, which spiked my CPU to ~85c. And I got a CPU overhead error, so maybe something went bad in the CPU. 

• 4 weeks later...

So i had made some "minor" changes to my system.

So I had added an extra 240mm radiator and changed all of my fans in my case to a 2000 RPM fan (Cooler Master Sickle Flow 120 x 4).

The system temps had drooped down by 5c.

But with some research, I had heard about temperature calibration and mis-calibration within the motherboard.

Is there a possibility of a temperature mis-calibration or a incorrect sensor reading.

If you reset and the CPU voltage is set to Auto, you will most certainly have way too much voltage on the CPU.

10 hours ago, Dschijn said:

If you reset and the CPU voltage is set to Auto, you will most certainly have way too much voltage on the CPU.

The CPU voltage is set to auto, and the core voltage is set around 1.2 volts (around the 1.2XX range)

• 2 weeks later...

So I did a little digging around.

My operating software is Ubuntu Linux 16.04 LTS. The temperature software I use (psensor) reports that my CPU is running at 50C when its at 40C. So one of the two is wrong. But it seems to report all four of my CPU core temps. Sitting at 20-24C range (22.5C average). My GPU (EVGA gtx 1080 Super Clocked) reports from the Nvidia control panel that the temperature is 30C. And is on the same loop as my i7 CPU withch would normally offset the CPU temp my 5-8. However it has changed to 15-20C.

But from some research, there are two sensors on the CPU, a sensor on the IHS and a sensor in each (or near/realitive to) each core.

Witch leads me to wonder if the IHS sensor when bad when I over clocked my CPU and pushed something to far. Or it the "super great reliable and durable" thermal paist between the die and the IHS?

PS: the PLL levels seem to affect the system very much.