RX 480 Devil 8gb from PowerColor Terrible card!

So last Year i bought an RX 480 8GB Devil from Powercolor, and boy oh boy it was filled with troubles, Terrible cooling, despite having the largest aside the Strix version

in Short, the videocard had a Metal Backplate to act as "support" and was told by powercolor themselves not to remove it, turns out that shit traps heat radiating from the back of the hard overheating components
thus crashing (giving a black screen) even with the gpu die itself being at a healthy 70c

so well, i simply removed every fucking piece of metal aesthetic bs and the card dropped from 72 (with fans at 65%) to 60c! while gaming heavily in OC mode (1330mhz) i even ramped the fans down to 55% and it stays constatly at 70c,

Avoid Powercolor Cards, this isnt the first one ive seen like this,
i bought it new from amazon.com for 220$, and returned it once, recieved another shitty card performance is great, is just that the card/cooling is crap

31947041_1805425896189451_5723844366385020928_n.jpg

Main PC:| CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 @ 4.1, MOBO: Asus B350 PRIME , RAM: LPX Vengance 2400 16gb kit, GPU: 980Ti Poseidon Platinum 6gb
                PSU: SilverStone Strider Gold Evolution 1200w , CASE: HAF 932  HDDs:240gb EX900 HP NVME 6TB (2x3 Seagate Barracuda)
                COOLING: ThermalTake Contac Silent 12
Laptop:MSI GL62 7RD  CPU: Core i5 7300HQ, RAM: 16GB 2400mhz, :GPU GTX 1050 2GB: HDDs: 256gb adata NVME + 1TB HDD

love all brands, will go for whats cheaper for my needs

all tests i've seen show that the backplate do nothing in terms of the proposed cooling. But i've also never heard of a backplate that cooks the card, that difference of 12C is insane. Maybe a fan pointing to the backplate can help.

PS: dust the machine dude :P

1 minute ago, asus killer said:

all tests i've seen saw that the backplate do nothing in terms of the proposed cooling. But i've also never heard of a backplate that cooks the card, that difference of 12C is insane. Maybe a fan pointing to the backplate can help.

PS: dust the machine dude :P

is just dust on top of the PSU, theres no dust buildup in any heatsink, or fan whatsoever, but yea, aftere testing the pc for 2 days now, there are no more black screens and temps are great, im quoting powercolor here "the backplate is meant for structural support, please do not remove it as the card might bent and damate itself" , they too said that it was imposible that said backplate was coocking the card, but well, i cant afford a new card, amazon wouldnt let me sent it back (also i dont want to pay postage again) powercolor left me hanged when asking for warranty/answeres as i dont live in the us (so they dont give a fuck), so i had to try, i even swapped cased from a terrible NZXT S340 to this beatutifull HAF 932

Main PC:| CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 @ 4.1, MOBO: Asus B350 PRIME , RAM: LPX Vengance 2400 16gb kit, GPU: 980Ti Poseidon Platinum 6gb
                PSU: SilverStone Strider Gold Evolution 1200w , CASE: HAF 932  HDDs:240gb EX900 HP NVME 6TB (2x3 Seagate Barracuda)
Laptop:MSI GL62 7RD  CPU: Core i5 7300HQ, RAM: 16GB 2400mhz, :GPU GTX 1050 2GB: HDDs: 256gb adata NVME + 1TB HDD

8 minutes ago, Mauricio G. B. said:

is just dust on top of the PSU, theres no dust buildup in any heatsink, or fan whatsoever, but yea, aftere testing the pc for 2 days now, there are no more black screens and temps are great, im quoting powercolor here "the backplate is meant for structural support, please do not remove it as the card might bent and damate itself" , they too said that it was imposible that said backplate was coocking the card, but well, i cant afford a new card, amazon wouldnt let me sent it back (also i dont want to pay postage again) powercolor left me hanged when asking for warranty/answeres as i dont live in the us (so they dont give a fuck), so i had to try, i even swapped cased from a terrible NZXT S340 to this beatutifull HAF 932

you should look if the card bends to much. You can support it or diy some holes in the backplate. good luck

1 minute ago, asus killer said:

you should look if the card bends to much. You can support it or diy some holes in the backplate. good luck

thats why i flipped the pci-e connector to "hold" the card, if it starts to bend ill 3d print a stand

37 minutes ago, Mauricio G. B. said:

Avoid Powercolor Cards,

Powercolor makes some great cards and some bad ones, much like everyone else, their golden sample 580s were some of the best for out of the box performance
https://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/powercolor_radeon_red_devil_rx580_8gb_golden_sample/

Though their Polaris cards had pretty bad VRMs on the low end.

Did you try just changing your thermal paste? The card shouldn't be that hot just from a backplate, your stock voltage may just be really high, should try undervolting it.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Just now, Streetguru said:

Powercolor makes some great cards and some bad ones, much like everyone else, their golden sample 580s were some of the best for out of the box performance
https://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/powercolor_radeon_red_devil_rx580_8gb_golden_sample/

Though their Polaris cards had pretty bad VRMs on the low end.

Did you try just changing your thermal paste? The card shouldn't be that hot just from a backplate, your stock voltage may just be really high, should try undervolting it.

this is the 4th powercolor card i have that has failed (6850, HD 7970 and an HD 7870), voltages are stock, it is undervolted slightly, because it is in its OC mode, Thermal paste was changed 2 weeks ago with MasterGel Maker stuff, i just reaplied it since i removed the heatsink

3 minutes ago, Mauricio G. B. said:

this is the 4th powercolor card i have that has failed (6850, HD 7970 and an HD 7870), voltages are stock, it is undervolted slightly, because it is in its OC mode, Thermal paste was changed 2 weeks ago with MasterGel Maker stuff, i just reaplied it since i removed the heatsink

Seems like you may have just picked a bad design each time...Like MSI's Armor brand, really bad overall, should only be bought as a last resort.

Though for AMD cards sapphire is usually a good bet.

Hell they had one of the most fun 390Xs around.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

20 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Seems like you may have just picked a bad design each time...Like MSI's Armor brand, really bad overall, should only be bought as a last resort.

Though for AMD cards sapphire is usually a good bet.

Hell they had one of the most fun 390Xs around.

the HD 6850 was a regular FlowerStyle Cooler
the HD 7870 was a Regular flower style cooler
the HD7970 had a really Big twin fan cooler (was the ghz edition)
this RX 480, well was the "bulkiest and biggest cooler of the 480s aside from the Strix desing)
bought this, because, my GTX 970 died along my computer when my CS650m failed
got it because it was 220$ and the other RX 480s and 1060S where well past 400 where i live

Edited by Mauricio G. B.
wrote in the quote

Also just running some benchmarks comparing it to the RX 580 "Golden Sample", my card falls arround 3-7 fps behind, lmao

I had really good luck with PowerColor.

I had their Devil13 card and was absolutely the best card I've had in years back then, and killer looking.

Now I have a gaming PC for my son and runs on a Red Devil 580, that thing is super quiet and I did manage to overclock the GPU all the way to 1500Mhz. 

Very happy with them, even had a question on support on the Red Devil club (members only) and they replied in less than 24hrs.

PowerColor is a bad brand on it's own to be honest... I have seen plenty of people not satisfied with PowerColor cards in here already, I usually avoid advising it.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)