Looking into creating my family's NAS

Hi I was wondering if I could get some advice.

Things that the NAS should be able todo:

• Backup for local computers
  • Remote collection for pictures (iPhoto, currently on many different drives)
  • PLEX server

I am currently looking a buildup about the following: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/vhX4dX

How does this look?

21 minutes ago, nokel81 said:

Hi I was wondering if I could get some advice.

Things that the NAS should be able todo:

• Backup for local computers
  • Remote collection for pictures (iPhoto, currently on many different drives)
  • PLEX server

I am currently looking a buildup about the following: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/vhX4dX

How does this look?

get a better PSU like EVGA g2 or g3 550 watt

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

You need a gpu, id go 2200g here.

What OS?

Id go 2x 8tb drives. lower power, less noise, cheaper per tb, and more expansion room.

Here's something else

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/FCfXbX

Let's see

>Why the A320? well it's for a NAS not for a gaming rig, it's cheap but still good

>The 2200, newer but also about the same price as the 1200, the gpu is more than enough for video sharing or whatever you're gonna do with it

>Having less hard drives is better and also cheaper, you even have room for a SSD that's entirely for the OS and related software, it might not be the best but it's reliable for 24/7 use, it allows you to dedicate the HDDs entirely to storage

>The case, I only changed it because it has an extra 3.5" bay just in case you upgrade later

>PSU... it'll do, cheap, decent quality and basically overkill for that system

>A fan, the drives will generate a lot of heat and you'll have to remove it somehow

The BIOS is already updated, unless the store still has the old board version in stock... in that case you'll need to tell them to send you an updated version

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

A gold rated psu is also worth considering.  Because you nas will be on 24/7 the higher efficiency does help if you have higher energy rates.

How are you planning to pool the HDDs? RAID? Storage Spaces? ZFS? unRAID? I'm just curious. This will also effect how many HDDs and of which capacity you want to use.

My main computer:

i7 6700k || GTX 1070 || Asus Z170 RGB || C.M. Hyper 212 EVO || 16GB RAM || 256GB NVMe SSD || 500GB SATA SSD || 12TB total HDD || Define R5 Blackout || 850W PSU

More Details Below :) 

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k                             GPU:  EVGA GTX 1070 FTW                                  |  Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Aura
CPU Cooler: C.M. Hyper 212 EVO             RAM: 16GB Kingston Fury 4x4 DDR4 2400MHz         SSD:  Intel 256GB NVMe SSD & Plextor 500GB SATA SSD

Hard Drive:  WD 2TB Black, 2TB WD Blue, 8TB WD Red     Case:  Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout Edition   PSU:  Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 850W

Additional Computer Parts: NZXT Hue for LEDs

Peripherals: Dell U2414H (x2) || Corsair Sabre RGB || Corsair K95 Platinum || Sennheiser 558's || Modmic

Pictures of setup:

23 minutes ago, njmyers3 said:

How are you planning to pool the HDDs? RAID? Storage Spaces? ZFS? unRAID? I'm just curious. This will also effect how many HDDs and of which capacity you want to use.

I was planning on doing RAID 6.

15 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

You need a gpu, id go 2200g here.

What OS?

Id go 2x 8tb drives. lower power, less noise, cheaper per tb, and more expansion room.

As for OS I was thinking freeNAS or unRaid. I haven't looked too much into either but I am leaning towards freeNas.

14 hours ago, aezakmi said:

Here's something else

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/FCfXbX

Let's see

>Why the A320? well it's for a NAS not for a gaming rig, it's cheap but still good

>The 2200, newer but also about the same price as the 1200, the gpu is more than enough for video sharing or whatever you're gonna do with it

>Having less hard drives is better and also cheaper, you even have room for a SSD that's entirely for the OS and related software, it might not be the best but it's reliable for 24/7 use, it allows you to dedicate the HDDs entirely to storage

>The case, I only changed it because it has an extra 3.5" bay just in case you upgrade later

>PSU... it'll do, cheap, decent quality and basically overkill for that system

>A fan, the drives will generate a lot of heat and you'll have to remove it somehow

The BIOS is already updated, unless the store still has the old board version in stock... in that case you'll need to tell them to send you an updated version

Thank you very much. However, if I wanted to do something like RAID 6, wouldn't multiple smaller drives be better?

5 minutes ago, nokel81 said:

I was planning on doing RAID 6.

Id just do a 2 drive mirror, here, I don't see the point of raid 6 here.

6 minutes ago, nokel81 said:

As for OS I was thinking freeNAS or unRaid. I haven't looked too much into either but I am leaning towards freeNas.

Do you want to expand? Do you want to do anything other than storage?

36 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id just do a 2 drive mirror, here, I don't see the point of raid 6 here.

Do you want to expand? Do you want to do anything other than storage?

Okay makes sense re drives. I am looking at also it being a PLEX server

58 minutes ago, nokel81 said:

Okay makes sense re drives. I am looking at also it being a PLEX server

Both will oses will do a plex server fine.

If you want to expand, unraid is much easier. Id use what os you want.

Decent advice here (not sure I'd wish unraid/btrfs on anyone but.. suit yourself)

You may want to take a look at Emby as opposed to Plex tho. I find it better.

"Only proprietary software vendors want proprietary software." - Dexter's Law