nVidia ends GeForce Partner Program

WMGroomAK
2 minutes ago, pas008 said:

Did you read on ip in that link?

You do know what IP is right? Intellectual Property. The intellectual part is really important.

3 minutes ago, leadeater said:

You do know what IP is right? Intellectual Property. The intellectual part is really important.

Then why does the product support end once nvidia calls it Not the aibs?

Wait cause it's nvidias product lol

And their ip

15 minutes ago, pas008 said:

Then why does the product support end once nvidia calls it Not the aibs?

Wait cause it's nvidias product lol

And their ip

No they end driver support. Nvidia ending driver support, which makes any product using their GPU component no longer supported by Nvidia, does not make it Nvidia's product. The AIB owns the product, the AIB handles the warranty on their product not Nvidia. If you buy a Asus or EVGA graphics card and you have a product fault you cannot get support from Nvidia, if you have an issue with the GPU and drivers then that is Nvidia responsibility. Nvidia isn't going to help you with an EVGA fan failure because it's not their product.

And no the fan isn't the product the graphic card is, the entire thing. That is the AIB's.

Effective April 2018, Game Ready Driver upgrades, including performance enhancements, new features, and bug fixes, will be available only on Kepler, Maxwell, and Pascal series GPUs.  Critical security updates will be available on Fermi series GPUs through January 2019.

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3473/~/eol-windows-driver-support-for-legacy-products

5 hours ago, RoyalGamer1 said:

maybe im late here but what is GPP and the "goal" and why is everyone happy it is gone?

It was or is a program to try and distinguish Nvidia products from the competition. It claims to have the goal of improving transparency but has copped much flack for doing nothing to alleviate the transparency issues within Nvidia's own product naming schemes, as well as likely being responsible for strong-arming AMD out out of the gaming product ranges of a few manufacturers. The most unbiased criticism you'll find of it is from Gamers Nexus.

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

5 hours ago, pas008 said:

You have a problem with the fan its a manufacturer problem

I'll agree to disagree

You do know when you have a product fault you have to contact the company that owns the product not necessarily who manufactured it? Unless you're saying you contact Foxconn now when you have an iPhone issue, to use you're own example (which btw is not relevant because it's a completely different kind of contract but hey lets mash everything together and act like everything is the same). So what about non reference custom boards? When a VRM fails in that it's an Nvidia issue because it's an Nvidia product even though it's not their design and they are the part supplier for only the GPU? When EVGA had the VRM issue that had nothing to do with Nvidia or their product (the GPU) now you are saying it was an Nvidia product issue? Nvidia would disagree.

Nvidia is nothing but a part supplier with branding and licensing requirements.

You can disagree but you're misunderstanding how product manufacturing works, you're confusing a supply contract with a manufacturing contract which are entirely different things. If said product was an Nvidia product it would be sold as Nvidia product and no AIB name would be on it anywhere, like an Apple iPhone. The Nvidia graphic cards you buy off their website are the case you are trying to say they all are, that applies to those only.

On 5/5/2018 at 6:08 AM, The Benjamins said:

So then Nvidia should require AIB to make a new brand exclusively for them, not force AIB to stop selling AMD cards under existing brands.

Thing is. That's one of the reasons 3DFX died. and Nvidia were the ones who bought 3DFX (and got the team who would give some revenge in the form of the Geforce FX series)

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

34 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Thing is. That's one of the reasons 3DFX died. and Nvidia were the ones who bought 3DFX (and got the team who would give some revenge in the form of the Geforce FX series)

I think i remember looking up youtube videos about those when i had an old ATI card, and frequented Battle Field 2.

I loved the nvidia intro in unreal tournament 2004, but ill do my absolute best to stear clear of them. Been doing great so far, 0 nvidia cards.

Those new nvidia animations are lame.

2 hours ago, leadeater said:

You do know when you have a product fault you have to contact the company that owns the product not necessarily who manufactured it? Unless you're saying you contact Foxconn now when you have an iPhone issue, to use you're own example (which btw is not relevant because it's a completely different kind of contract but hey lets mash everything together and act like everything is the same). So what about non reference custom boards? When a VRM fails in that it's an Nvidia issue because it's an Nvidia product even though it's not their design and they are the part supplier for only the GPU? When EVGA had the VRM issue that had nothing to do with Nvidia or their product (the GPU) now you are saying it was an Nvidia product issue? Nvidia would disagree.

Nvidia is nothing but a part supplier with branding and licensing requirements.

You can disagree but you're misunderstanding how product manufacturing works, you're confusing a supply contract with a manufacturing contract which are entirely different things. If said product was an Nvidia product it would be sold as Nvidia product and no AIB name would be on it anywhere, like an Apple iPhone. The Nvidia graphic cards you buy off their website are the case you are trying to say they all are, that applies to those only.

do you know why aib partners exist? you know the history?

technically amd and nvidia are called aib but not the point

I work in manufacturing lol we deal with shit like this everyday, sell to many competitors everyday too

aib partners are manufacturers and suppliers just like where I work

when something goes wrong with their product it comes back to us not them

you should be thinking of this like mcdonalds

mcdonalds owns everything aib just the license and the store they sell mcdonald products lol

oh heres this too

they can be custom-built to unique specifications, and as such these products are supported and / or warranted by the System Builder only.

https://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMDPartnersAIBOESystemBuilder.aspx

21 minutes ago, pas008 said:

I work in manufacturing lol we deal with shit like this everyday, sell to many competitors everyday too

mcdonalds owns everything aib just the license and the store they sell mcdonald products lol

oh heres this too

they can be custom-built to unique specifications, and as such these products are supported and / or warranted by the System Builder only.

https://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMDPartnersAIBOESystemBuilder.aspx

AMD Radeon™ graphics and AMD Wonder products are commonly licensed by Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) and utilize AMD’s brand to market the product.  Although often similar to a retail packaged version of an AMD product, they can be custom-built to unique specifications, and as such these products are supported and / or warranted by the System Builder only.

The companies listed below utilize AMD Radeon Graphics Processing Units (GPU), and Wonder chip technology to develop graphics card products.  Not all are available for a given global region.

If you work in manufacturing, which I doubt based on your lack on understanding on this subject, then you would know McDonalds is nothing like this at all.

If something goes wrong with a graphics card it goes back to the AIB not Nvidia or AMD.

21 minutes ago, pas008 said:

You just seem very confused.

2 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

why do you say

amd and nvidia are add in board makers technically you know what an add in board is? lol

asus/evga/etc are add in board partners

14 minutes ago, leadeater said:

If you work in manufacturing, which I doubt based on your lack on understanding on this subject, then you would know McDonalds is nothing like this at all.

If something goes wrong with a graphics card it goes back to the AIB not Nvidia or AMD.

franchising their intellectual property huh

nothing like what nvidia does huh

9 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

When you start comparing McDonalds to AIBs you pretty much know it's a dead end. Next it'll be G.Skill don't own their memory products because the memory chips on them are from Samsung or w/e.

Just now, leadeater said:

When you start comparing McDonalds to AIBs you pretty much know it's a dead end. Next it'll be G.Skill don't own their memory products because the memory chips on them are from Samsung or w/e.

depends on contract

nvidia clearly has their ip patented and gives licenses just like mcdonalds on their products

3 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Eh. Can't argue with idiots.

3 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

Eh. Can't argue with idiots.

read above

26 minutes ago, pas008 said:

depends on contract

nvidia clearly has their ip patented and gives licenses just like mcdonalds on their products

So you seem to think the only IP in use in a graphics card is the GPU from either Nvidia or AMD? And that a license to use patented technology in a product gives that patent holder ownership over the final product, yea no that's not how it works.

Never mind that AIBs also have to get HDMI license to use that on their graphics cards, to use DisplayPort you have to be a VESA member, or PCI Express, or use patented MOSFETs from the likes of International Rectifier for the VRM.

There is a lot of IP that goes in to making graphics card, more than I listed above, as well as different physical components from different suppliers, some of which have branding requirements too or did you never wonder why you always see the PCI Express logo on every product that uses it?

How many products in your computer have this logo somewhere on the box and/or in the manual? Bet it's any that use it because they have to.

pci-express-logo.png

25 minutes ago, leadeater said:

So you seem to think the only IP in use in a graphics card is the GPU from either Nvidia or AMD? And that a license to use patented technology in a product gives that patent holder ownership over the final product, yea no that's not how it works.

Never mind that AIBs also have to get HDMI license to use that on their graphics cards, to use DisplayPort you have to be a VESA member, or PCI Express, or use patented MOSFETs from the likes of International Rectifier for the VRM.

There is a lot of IP that goes in to making graphics card, more than I listed above, as well as different physical components from different suppliers, some of which have branding requirements too or did you never wonder why you always see the PCI Express logo on every product that uses it?

How many products in your computer have this logo somewhere on the box and/or in the manual? Bet it's any that use it because they have to.

pci-express-logo.png

this is related to older quote but figured I'd link it here

kinda busy at work

were you around for this

nvidia warranties the cards from asus/evga/etc

However, doing so disqualifies products from receiving warranty support from Nvidia. Add-in board makers are free to provide their own warranty coverage, of course.  https://techreport.com/news/23678/nvidia-program-ties-gpu-warranty-support-to-voltage-limits

why would they be warrantying a product to aics/aibs that isnt theirs? hmm

11 hours ago, pas008 said:

But they still have to follow Intel's products ip and regulations on them products

Fyi dell gets their laptops from odm

Original design manufacturer

Just for https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Original_design_manufacturer

The point you're missing with this and other examples you provide is that the products provided aren't rebranded as detailed in your wikipedia link. The difference between an ODM and somebody like Asus or Dell is that a product is made using supplies from Nvidia among others. Using the example of GPU's, Nvidia will provide the GPU dies and likely the memory chips as well (large purchase from suppliers = better deal) but leave the design of the final product to Asus. This means that parts have been supplied in order for Asus to create it's own product. They are not franchisees as you tried to claim in your McDonalds example.

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

5 minutes ago, Carclis said:

The point you're missing with this and other examples you provide is that the products provided aren't rebranded as detailed in your wikipedia link. The difference between an ODM and somebody like Asus or Dell is that a product is made using supplies from Nvidia among others. Using the example of GPU's, Nvidia will provide the GPU dies and likely the memory chips as well (large purchase from suppliers = better deal) but leave the design of the final product to Asus. This means that parts have been supplied in order for Asus to create it's own product. They are not franchisees as you tried to claim in your McDonalds example.

then why does nvidia supply warranties to aibs/aics, if they arent nvidia products?

like post above?

https://techreport.com/news/23678/nvidia-program-ties-gpu-warranty-support-to-voltage-limits

6 minutes ago, pas008 said:

then why does nvidia supply warranties to aibs/aics, if they arent nvidia products?

like post above?

They warranty the GPU, the part they supply not the graphics card.

1 hour ago, pas008 said:

oh heres this too

I still remember you from the first NVIDIA GPP post from weeks back and you are still using the same examples of Foxconn+Apple that have been refuted loudly in that thread.

Obviously the faulty parts go back to you and not them. Because you are the supplier to the consumer, just as Asus is the supplier to the store, just as NVIDIA is the supplier to Asus, etc. And so follow all the warranties for each buyer.

The supply chain is much bigger than its end tail...

Plus, your McDonalds example, other than being irrelevant as a comparison, is wrong. The restaurants do not sell "McDonald's products", they have a franchise with McDonald's which allows them to use their brands and access to their suppliers. McDonald's does not produce anything lol.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

9 minutes ago, Eibe said:

I still remember you from the first NVIDIA GPP post from weeks back and you are still using the same examples of Foxconn+Apple that have been refuted loudly in that thread.

Obviously the faulty parts go back to you and not them. Because you are the supplier to the consumer, just as Asus is the supplier to the store, just as NVIDIA is the supplier to Asus, etc. And so follow all the warranties for each buyer.

The supply chain is much bigger than its end tail...

Plus, your McDonalds example, other than being irrelevant as a comparison, is wrong. The restaurants do not sell "McDonald's products", they have a franchise with McDonald's which allows them to use their brands and access to their suppliers. McDonald's does not produce anything lol.

what lol

so a mcdonalds owner can just go get any nuggets and call them mcnuggets

oh wait they dont produce anything hahaha

not the same as they both license their ip and use others to sell their products lol

4 minutes ago, pas008 said:

what lol

so a mcdonalds owner can just go get any nuggets and call them mcnuggets

oh wait they dont produce anything hahaha

McNuggets is a BRAND. The product is simple chicken nugget which is produced by a third-party supplier which has a contract with McDonalds. See here for example: http://www.mcdonalds.co.uk/ukhome/whatmakesmcdonalds/questions/food/suppliers/who-are-mcdonalds-suppliers.html

So no, they do not produce anything. They manage their brand and their offerings, suppliers etc. which are then adopted by their franchises as per contract.

This is also going off-topic btw.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304