nVidia ends GeForce Partner Program

WMGroomAK
5 minutes ago, Eibe said:

McNuggets is a BRAND. The product is simple chicken nugget which is produced by a third-party supplier which has a contract with McDonalds. See here for example: http://www.mcdonalds.co.uk/ukhome/whatmakesmcdonalds/questions/food/suppliers/who-are-mcdonalds-suppliers.html

So no, they do not produce anything. They manage their brand and their offerings, suppliers etc. which are then adopted by their franchises as per contract.

This is also going off-topic btw.

yes off topic but those chicken nuggets were first produced and developed my mcdonalds and the suppliers make them to mcdonalds requirements

same with aics and nvidia

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

When you start comparing McDonalds to AIBs you pretty much know it's a dead end. Next it'll be G.Skill don't own their memory products because the memory chips on them are from Samsung or w/e.

Oh, come now. We all know it's a sign of competence to end all your lines with lol, lol.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

19 minutes ago, Eibe said:

I still remember you from the first NVIDIA GPP post from weeks back and you are still using the same examples of Foxconn+Apple that have been refuted loudly in that thread.

Obviously the faulty parts go back to you and not them. Because you are the supplier to the consumer, just as Asus is the supplier to the store, just as NVIDIA is the supplier to Asus, etc. And so follow all the warranties for each buyer.

The supply chain is much bigger than its end tail...

Plus, your McDonalds example, other than being irrelevant as a comparison, is wrong. The restaurants do not sell "McDonald's products", they have a franchise with McDonald's which allows them to use their brands and access to their suppliers. McDonald's does not produce anything lol.

That franchise buys its food from McDonald's lol, just like the AIB's buy their GPU's and get their Board IP from nV.  Because they are a franchise they have the right to use Mcdonald's as a brand.  Just like AIB's get the right to make nV cards, and brands for "their" cards.

Pas008 point is the brand and products, and nothing else.

2 minutes ago, pas008 said:

snip

What you're thinking of is contract manufacturing. In the case of Nvidia they contract out manufacturing to TSMC who produce their product. Their product is only an intermediate one however as a GPU die alone is useless.
AMD-Vega-GPU-740x493.jpg

What companies like Asus produce is a full assembly or GPU, not just a die.
asus-strix-gtx1080-a8g-gaming-explode-la

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

When you start comparing McDonalds to AIBs you pretty much know it's a dead end. Next it'll be G.Skill don't own their memory products because the memory chips on them are from Samsung or w/e.

They don't, you need to understand, Geforce made the marketshare it did, Asus's brand, MSI's brand, what ever else's AIB's brand DID NOT make the 70%+ gaming GPU market for nV.  AIB's are literally IRRELEVANT went it comes why the market is the way it is right now.  If those AIB brands ment something, in the GPU market, you would see AMD having more marketshare.  But it all comes down to the core product and brand, Geforce vs Radeon.

3 minutes ago, Carclis said:

What you're thinking of is contract manufacturing. In the case of Nvidia they contract out manufacturing to TSMC who produce their product. Their product is only an intermediate one however as a GPU die alone is useless.
AMD-Vega-GPU-740x493.jpg

And who's IP is this board based on?

This is why IHV's have so much leverage over their AIB partners, because everything that goes into those graphics boards outside of the cooler, pretty much is theirs.

8 minutes ago, Carclis said:

AMD-Vega-GPU-740x493.jpg

but nvidia sets the ip on their cards which then licenses to aibs

if asus/evga/etc were contract manufacturers they would be able to do whatever the fuck they want with said products price them to their wants, dual chips, overvolt, custom drivers, etc

4 minutes ago, pas008 said:

but nvidia sets the ip on their cards which then licenses to aibs

if asus/evga/etc were contract manufacturers they would be able to do whatever the fuck they want with said products

overclock, dual chips, overvolt, etc

I don't get how others can't understand this, IHV's dictate to the AIB's what they want for their products for a particular AIB.  If they warrant them to do more, higher clock speeds for a specific AIB then they will give that option to an AIB, if they don't want to then they will not let them.  If the AIB doesn't listen, well supply dries up.

With XFX, they just didn't renew the existing contract with Fermi, YOU are out.  Just like AMD did with Gainward and GDDR5 HD4xxx.

Just like the 1070ti, nV didn't allow overclocked 1070ti's because it would canalize the 1080 sales, that's a 100 bucks a card loss.

3 minutes ago, Razor01 said:

I don't get how others can't understand this, IHV's dictate to the AIB's what they want for their products for a particular AIB.  If they warrant them to do more, higher clock speeds for a specific AIB then they will give that option to an AIB, if they don't want to then they will not let them.  If the AIB doesn't listen, well supply dries up.

It is based on IP, sure, but the end product is not Nvidia's. That is the distinction I'm trying to make.

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

2 minutes ago, Carclis said:

It is based on IP, sure, but the end product is not Nvidia's. That is the distinction I'm trying to make.

The end product is still there, because of the GPU and IP, if there are faults in either of those, nV has to cover the AIB's ass.

Just like the 970, the GPU didn't have the advertised ROP's, so nV had to cover that.  Do you think AIB's had to pony up money for that?

EVGA made a faulty cooler for some of the cards right?  Did nV pony up for a bad cooler that EVGA made? 

2 minutes ago, Razor01 said:

The end product is still there, because of the GPU and IP, if there are faults in either of those, nV has to cover the AIB's ass.

Just like the 970, the GPU didn't have the advertised ROP's, so nV had to cover that.  Do you think AIB's had to pony up money for that?

The difference there is the GPU die is Nvidia's own design. They designed it and had it contracted out to TSMC for manufacture and then lied to the public about what they were passing off as a GTX 970.

1 minute ago, Carclis said:

The difference there is the GPU die is Nvidia's own design. They designed it and had it contracted out to TSMC for manufacture and then lied to the public about what they were passing off as a GTX 970.

So they have ownership of the product?  Exactly, otherwise they could have just said its not their problem lol.  AIB's bought it already, its there problem, they should have taken care of it.

did the aibs put 4gb on the box?

so if they own it why did nvidia pay? oh wait nvidias ip, nvidias product

Just now, Razor01 said:

So they have ownership of the product?  Exactly, otherwise they could have just said its not their problem lol.  AIB's bought it already, its there problem, they should have taken care of it.

The AIB parters were sold a product that was advertised to have a certain amount of ROPs that it didn't have. That is Nvidia misrepresenting their product to their customers and AIB partners.

Just now, Razor01 said:

They have liability of the CPU chip.

But you're arguing a strawman here. The original point was that an AIB makes their own cards and sell it in their own name, co branded with NVidia's (or AMD's) brand and technology/IP. When a consumer/customer has a warranty issue, that is with the AIB vendor. Heck in Denmark, it's even the retailer, because we have proper consumer rights here.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

The AIB parters were sold a product that was advertised to have a certain amount of ROPs that it didn't have. That is Nvidia misrepresenting their product to their customers and AIB partners.

You don't think the AIB's didn't know?

They new they have IP for the drivers and Bios too ya know......

Just now, Notional said:

They have liability of the CPU chip.

But you're arguing a strawman here. The original point was that an AIB makes their own cards and sell it in their own name, co branded with NVidia's (or AMD's) brand and technology/IP. When a consumer/customer has a warranty issue, that is with the AIB vendor. Heck in Denmark, it's even the retailer, because we have proper consumer rights here.

They aren't the ones that are putting the full burden on their warranty of the products though.  Depends on why the fault is there.

Just now, Razor01 said:

You don't think the AIB's didn't know?

They new they have IP for the drivers too ya know......

They don't create drivers. That is the responsibility of Nvidia as contracted.

Just now, Carclis said:

They don't create drivers. That is the responsibility of Nvidia as contracted.

Oh so how about the Bios?  They had IP for that too, they knew what was being sold.

Firstly you are saying they are so dumb, but people that can make their own custom boards from IP, make custom bioses, ability to have different overclocking tools, all of which from from IP that nV gives them, they have the ability to know what is really going on.

If a 3rd party that didn't even have access to any of these tools found it, the guys with the tools definitely know it.

Just now, Razor01 said:

They aren't the ones that are putting the full burden on their warranty of the products though.  Depends on why the fault is there.

Exactly. So if your graphics card is broken, it's Asus' fault. If the driver is faulty, then it's NVidia's fault. Depending on consumer laws in a given country, it's either the retailers problem, the vendors problem or NVidia's problem. Usually it will be on one of the two first, and they can then ask for compensation by the power above them.

I really don't see how such a simple concetp has been blown so much out of proportion in this thread.

1 minute ago, Notional said:

Exactly. So if your graphics card is broken, it's Asus' fault. If the driver is faulty, then it's NVidia's fault. Depending on consumer laws in a given country, it's either the retailers problem, the vendors problem or NVidia's problem. Usually it will be on one of the two first, and they can then ask for compensation by the power above them.

I really don't see how such a simple concetp has been blown so much out of proportion in this thread.

If there is something wrong with the Board and IP who's fault is it then (we have seen this before higher than normal failure rates anyone)?  GPU?

Just now, Razor01 said:

If there is something wrong with the Board and IP who's fault is it then?  GPU?

For who?

1 minute ago, Razor01 said:

Oh so how about the Bios?  They had IP for that too, they knew what was being sold.

That depends on if they modified on the bios at all and if they did I didn't see any AIB parters advertising the ROP count anyways.

Just now, Carclis said:

That depends on if they modified on the bios at all and if they did I didn't see any AIB parters advertising the ROP count anyways.

Oh they did, some of them had it  on their boxes lol.  And they even told reviewers what the specs were for their overclocked cards.

They fully well knew what was going on, but since nV is the one making the product, the GPU, its their fault.  Doesn't matter if the AIB's played along with it.  AIB's made money on the product too, it wasn't just nV making money right? 

2 minutes ago, Razor01 said:

Oh they did, some of them had it  on their boxes lol.  And they even told reviewers what the specs were for their overclocked cards.

They fully well knew what was going on, but since nV is the one making the product, the GPU, its their fault.  Doesn't matter if the AIB's played along with it.  AIB's made money on the product too, it wasn't just nV making money right? 

Which ones? Or was it part of the marketing spiel that is mandatory to place on the boxes of Nvidia products?