Two Computers, One Cat 5e Ethernet Cable

shakalakaboomboom

Today I tried to transfer about 40 GB worth of video from my laptop which has a GbE LAN port to a PC which also has a GbE LAN Port using the built-in File Sharing system on Windows 10. However, the cards failed to establish a Gb connection despite configuring each if those to negotiate 1.0 Gbps speed in the Speed & Duplex option on the configuration system. Now, there was once a video where Mr. Linus tried to do so but that was 10 Gbps if I'm not mistaken. In that video, I think he mentioned that the processors in the individual PCs were the reason behind the system not initially working. The PC has an Intel Pentium g4560 cpu, I think, and my laptop has an Intel Core-i5 6300 HQ cpu. HELP!

Do both machines have gigabit capable network cards? What happens if you change auto-negotiate to force 1Gbps full duplex? 

You also need to assign an IP-address to both machines (don't use connection sharing, no internet is needed) that falls in the same range. For instance:

Machine 1:  192.168.1.10

Machine 2: 192.168.1.11

Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0 

No gateway or DNS needed either. Just connect to the share via IP.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

The cable type has to be a cross-over cable unless the network interfaces have autosensing capability as the network interface is not showing a link.

image.png.c74f939332b7445b77f604d352d72f65.png

If you use an cross-over (x-over) cable then you will be able to have the link between 2 physical devices using a single cable.  A straight through cable (normal cat5e config) won't function.   Grab yourself an x-over cable and you should be sorted, you will need to set IP addressing manually on the link.

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply

1 hour ago, Falconevo said:

The cable type has to be a cross-over cable unless the network interfaces have autosensing capability as the network interface is not showing a link.

They should have this by now. unless they are over 15 years old.

It's possible the cable might be damaged though.

1 minute ago, Levisallanon said:

They should have this by now. unless they are over 15 years old.

It's possible the cable might be damaged though.

Unfortunately not, I have seen some recent Atheros and RealTek units which don't have 'functional' auto sensing :(

image.png.c74f939332b7445b77f604d352d72f65.png

If you use an cross-over (x-over) cable then you will be able to have the link between 2 physical devices using a single cable.  A straight through cable (normal cat5e config) won't function.   Grab yourself an x-over cable and you should be sorted, you will need to set IP addressing manually on the link.

Btw isn't this BASE100-T crossover? You want to have BASE1000-T Crossover right?
That should be like this:

unnamed.gif.002305d7c5c98e049f2360c3781225ae.gif

Since OP seems to be making a connection but not at the desired speed I don't think it's a crossover issue.

I'm willing to bet his cable is not a Cat 5e cable, or has been terminated poorly. Simple solution is set the card settings back to default and try a new cable.

Alternatively for $15 you can buy a HDD adapter and just connect it via USB. Useful tool to have laying around.

http://a.co/cnZkQsj

32 minutes ago, Levisallanon said:

Btw isn't this BASE100-T crossover? You want to have BASE1000-T Crossover right?

Yea, my bad that is 100M I posted, cheers for the correction.  Been awhile since I had to crimp any x-over cabling.

1 hour ago, Levisallanon said:

While that pinout is correct for a gigabit crossover cable, the labeleing to the sides of it that claims one is 568A and the other side is 568B is not correct. A cbale that is actually 568A on one end and 568B on the other only swaps the green and orange positions, and leaves the blue and brown as straight-through. This results in a cable that happens to work as a 100Mb crossover cable, but completely fails to link at gigabit even if both ends are Auto-MDIX capabel.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

Unfortunately not, I have seen some recent Atheros and RealTek units which don't have 'functional' auto sensing :(

Doesn't only ONE end even need autosensing for it to work?