How do I marry to hard drives into 1?

I got two hard dirves. Both have different capacity and one of them has windows.

I don't wanna lose my stuffs on the old one, but I don't also want to have 2 hard drives showing up whenever I try to find stuff on the storage. So what should I do to get it done.

You really cant. You have 2 drives, and just have to manage data.

If you really want, you can mount the drive to a folder, like C:\ drive, but why?

There is some third party software that lets you do this, but not built into windows. 

I think you can use RAID 0, but I don't know how to configure that. Search up your motherboard brand and RAID 0 after it. And you should get a guide on how to get 2 drives into 1.

hi.

You can use RAID before installing Windows. 

Spanning drives in Disk Management works but only for drives that aren't used for booting Windows. 

Why not use the two drives separately?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Why raid 1, just throw your stuff from the old drive onto the new one.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

There is something called JBOD which stands for Just a Bunch Of Disk. What that does is combine multiple drives as a single drive. Your motherboard needs to support it, raid mode has to be enabled and set to JBOD. I'm not sure if the initial setup of jbod needs to be formatted first with a new OS, but once jbod is set up, adding new drives in the future will expand the volume.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

5 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

I'm not sure if the initial setup of jbod needs to be formatted first with a new OS

The OS has to be installed after setting up the array.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

21 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

The OS has to be installed after setting up the array.

I have a feeling that's how it needs to be setup. 

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

hmm

I a terabyte and 320 gigs..i dont think Raid would be possible( like the feature that lets you restore your lost data if one drive fails) and its gonna cut down my capacity..
I tried to use 320 gigs as my C only..and use the terabyte separately..and now the problem is its slow af..like it literally take 3 mins to refresh.. and i accidently removed my recovery partition...so i was fucked when windows crashed and couldnt find the recovery point.. so ya..its been 3 days since i bought it...performance is good

as far as i know you would need 2 similar capacity of HDD in order to take the full functionality and benefits. of RAID 1

Why hasn’t anyone mentioned using windows to tell the second drive to report as a folder on the first drive?

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2018 at 8:25 PM, Pip313 said:

or this method which does not erase the data.

and be sure to follow the instructions starting at the middle of the page, not the top.

https://m.windowscentral.com/how-mount-hard-drive-folder-windows-10

um, idk how but windows fixed it automatically..just it boots slow(not that it matters since its still faster then the boot my ddr 2 dektop used to do)
and i dropped my lower HDD as my C and 1 TB as my workstation storage

thanks though..

I don’t understand what you mean by windows fixed it.

your original question was how to make two drives report as one, or am I mistaken?

On 5/17/2018 at 3:59 PM, Pip313 said:

I don’t understand what you mean by windows fixed it.

your original question was how to make two drives report as one, or am I mistaken?

ya sorry.. the reason i asked that was my refresh rate was slow AF, like it literally took 4 mins to refresh. and BOOt time was shit. 3 mins!!.
now it fixed it somehow..although its still long(boot time) about 50s to 1:20 mins.