About the i5s

Hi 

Sorry for posting this question again but I think this is the right forum to ask about it here.Is 6 cores without hypsrthreading sufficient for gaming and basic virtualisation (1 virtual machine at a time)?I'd like to play some cpu demanding games (I'd either get an 8400 or a 8600 non k) and do some light VM work .I'd pair said cpu with 16 gb of ram and a gtx 1060 6gb

A 8400 beats a Ryzen 2700X in gaming, so yes. The i5 is fine. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

1 minute ago, App4that said:

Yea I'd get a 2600X instead but at work we mostly use tb3 peripherals and I'd rather just throw in a tb3 card into my pc vs having tons of issues with dongles and such . As for vms people did manage to run VMs on low power dual cores on apple MacBooks didn't they?

Doesn't take a whole lot to run a VM, I'd be shocked if a 8400 had an issue. There a reason you don't SSH? 

5 minutes ago, App4that said:

Not with the memory timings tightened on the 2700X. And with quadcores not being enough anymore to sustain 60fps, getting merely 2 threads extra doesn't really set you up for the long haul....

It will work fine.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Majestic said:

Not with the memory timings tightened on the 2700X. And with quadcores not being enough anymore to sustain 60fps, getting merely 2 threads extra doesn't really set you up for the long haul....

No, even going downhill the 8400 is faster. Sorry. 

I see I'll get a gtx 1070 ti and a 8700 then.

12 minutes ago, App4that said:

No, even going downhill the 8400 is faster. Sorry. 

You're wrong. The timings on Ryzen+ boards are very loose, you'll see with proper timings set the 2700X will be faster. IIRC Steve is in the process of making a video on it, he gave this snippet sneak-peek.

image.png.145a919813691dd3b9404561c831abbd.png

I will reference this post to you in two years to gloat how wrong you are about this :)

9 minutes ago, Majestic said:

You're wrong. The timings on Ryzen+ boards are very loose, you'll see with proper timings set the 2700X will be faster. IIRC Steve is in the process of making a video on it, he gave this snippet sneak-peek.

image.png.145a919813691dd3b9404561c831abbd.png

I will reference this post to you in two years to gloat how wrong you are about this :)

That's Ashes of the Benchmark LOL. Try Far Cry 5, or CSGO.

Let me list some of the people who were going to gloat.

"Dude, in 2 years you'll be totally pissed you bought a 980ti because a Fury X will age better. Nvidia will gimp the 980ti."

"A i5 is all you need for gaming, no one needs a i7."

"RAM speed doesn't matter." (personal favorite)

"No miner will use a 1080ti, they cost too much."

"DX12 is going to make Nvidia lose to AMD, as no game in 2017 will be made using DX11"

Steve has gone completely AMD subreddit. He put a Pentium up against a Ryzen CPU that cost almost twice as much, rather than a i3 that costs the same. 

I have not said any of things things though, nor can you rule out a benchmark based on the person who performed the test.
And you point to Steve's honesty, but want to judge 2018 processors based on their performance in a 3-threaded esports game from 2012. 

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

Mobo - ASRock X470 Taichi

Memory - G.Skill Trident Z RGB (8x2 3200MHz) 

Storage - Sabrent Rocket 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 2TBWD Black 1TB

GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti LIGHTNING

CaseFractal Design Meshify C

PSUSuper Flower Leadex II Gold 650W

12 minutes ago, Majestic said:

I have not said any of things things though, nor can you rule out a benchmark based on the person who performed the test.
And you point to Steve's honesty, but want to judge 2018 processors based on their performance in a 3-threaded esports game from 2012. 

Take a tour of the top 100 games played on Steam, that's what people play. Steve is doing what Steve needs to keep his channel going, AMD vs Intel makes for a great way to boost views. Why the standard is Gamers Nexus. 

2 minutes ago, vexicus365 said:

"RAM speed doesn't matter"....try using 2133mhz RAM ND compare it with 3200mhz RAM on a RYZEN Apu build.... u'll understand how wrong u are.......

Miners purchased 1080ti coz it made maximum megahashes/sec as compared to other GPUs ND were pretty energy efficient as compared to Maxwell cards......ND that's the reason why 1080ti's were sold at twice of their msrp in the early 2018.....

No, I've always said RAM speed matters. I said Miners would buy 1080tis. I was told how wrong I was in both cases. The RAM speed thing is my favorite because the moment Ryzen benefited from RAM speed, people couldn't change their tune fast enough. But ignored that RAM speed had matter way befor that, and still does for Intel.