EVGA 1080 hybrid.. Did I make a big mistake?

r1chm
Go to solution Solved by veli2501,
On 4/29/2018 at 10:23 PM, r1chm said:

But an Xbox one doesn't have these issues when played on a big screen tv. You are suggesting turning settings down on a 1080? Why did I buy one? Others are saying a 1060 will play all my games with no problems, but I see the same problems on a 1070, it is not a HW issue, I have other friends with computers that have the same problems. They just put up with it. Instead of throwing money at it, throw it out and get an xbox one x. Seems like that is the answer but that is stupid too. Why don't intel and nvidai get their act together with the game makers and come up with games that run without tearing, stuttering, percetable input lag on reasonably priced hardware instead of having to buy a $100,000 hell cat and still have these problems

You know why you think that the Xbone doesn't have these problems, right?  It's because the frame rate is either locked to either 30 or 60fps, ie vsync is enabled.  You're kidding yourself if you think that there is 0 stutter or frame rate drops on console though.

I have a Mini ITX Coolermaster 130 elite computer for portable gaming. I finally put a video card in it. The EVGA 1080 Hybrid

i7-6700k, 16 ram, 500 Samsung Evo 850 M.2, Asus z170 Pro Gaming ITX motherboard, H75 corsair liquid cooler. Asus 1080p monitor 60hz

The case is small and runs a little hot so I got water cooling for the cpu/gpu. I thought the 1080 and high FPS is a good thing. I play first person shooters like Doom4, COD all of them including the new one. PUBG, retro like Unreal tourney 2004. I play the games, I see all sorts of tearing. So I turn in vsync, and adaptive sync (doom4) and it locks my fps to 60. Did I just waste my money. I like my monitor, it is fairly new Asus 32" 1080p so I am not going to replace it. So why did I get an expensive card for 60fps? I can return the card because I am still in the return policy and get my $650 back. I could then buy a EVGA 1060 for $250 and be able to buy a new xbox one x. The 1060 should be able to play Doom4 at ultimate leves at 60fps? Would that be the thing to do?

Then I go read about Gsync and Freesync and how it seems they have not figured it all out yet and you have to run both vsync and gsync and I would have to buy a new gsync monitor and still your fps are still locked and then there are still issue with stuttering and with input lag and my eyes glaze over and roll to the back of my head as I am reading this stuff in different sites.. Am I missing something? Maybe I should start playing more Xbox one? 

11 minutes ago, r1chm said:

So why did I get an expensive card for 60fps?

That's for you to answer. What were you hoping to get out of it?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

15 minutes ago, r1chm said:

I have a Mini ITX Coolermaster 130 elite computer for portable gaming. I finally put a video card in it. The EVGA 1080 Hybrid

i7-6700k, 16 ram, 500 Samsung Evo 850 M.2, Asus z170 Pro Gaming ITX motherboard, H75 corsair liquid cooler. Asus 1080p monitor 60hz

The case is small and runs a little hot so I got water cooling for the cpu/gpu. I thought the 1080 and high FPS is a good thing. I play first person shooters like Doom4, COD all of them including the new one. PUBG, retro like Unreal tourney 2004. I play the games, I see all sorts of tearing. So I turn in vsync, and adaptive sync (doom4) and it locks my fps to 60. Did I just waste my money. I like my monitor, it is fairly new Asus 32" 1080p so I am not going to replace it. So why did I get an expensive card for 60fps? I can return the card because I am still in the return policy and get my $650 back. I could then buy a EVGA 1060 for $250 and be able to buy a new xbox one x. The 1060 should be able to play Doom4 at ultimate leves at 60fps? Would that be the thing to do?

Then I go read about Gsync and Freesync and how it seems they have not figured it all out yet and you have to run both vsync and gsync and I would have to buy a new gsync monitor and still your fps are still locked and then there are still issue with stuttering and with input lag and my eyes glaze over and roll to the back of my head as I am reading this stuff in different sites.. Am I missing something? Maybe I should start playing more Xbox one? 

This is someone saying "Do I really need this lamborghini, I daily drive it to work, but I think it might be too much". You bought the high end version. It has a lot of capabilities. If you do not think the capabilities are worth the cost, or you drive like a grandma and never utilize what a lamborghini [1080] its about, then maybe is the better financial decision to sell the lambo[1080] and just get a prius[1060]. Some people have the money and get a lambo because they can though, and some people just like having it. I have many friends playing ONLY LoL at 1080p on a 980ti, 1080s, 1070s, ect.

As for the screen tearing, I can't say why, but it shouldn't be happening no matter your GPU with a proper setup.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

14 minutes ago, r1chm said:

2560x1440p Gsync 144hz or more is worth every penny with a GTX 1080 for gaming, that and an oculus rift headset.

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#r=256001440&A=1&sort=price&page=1&W=2700,5500

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

34 minutes ago, r1chm said:

Asus 32" 1080p

22 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

What were you hoping to get out of it?

UPSCALE that resolution. 4K on a 4K monitor is too bandwagon-y.

Anyways if it's fairly new monitor, return the monitor and get a higher refresh rate one if you can.

Although that graphics power might not be useful at the moment, powerful graphics card might be useful for future proofing. 

You have two options.... return the card, get $$$ back or return monitor and get a 144hz like I did.

That's it....

The 1060 will even play those games over 60hz as well BTW. I get over 60fps even in Dishonored 2 death of the outsider. 100+ fps in War Thunder maxed. So yea.... I have a 144hz Viewsonic Gaming Monitor though. Still 1080p but that's why I have the 1060 and not a GTX1080.

2 hours ago, suchamoneypit said:

As for the screen tearing, I can't say why, but it shouldn't be happening no matter your GPU with a proper setup.

Tearing can occur if the frame rate being pushed by the GPU is higher that the monitor can output

Well seems like a hardware issue. 

Cpu isn’t the strongest and neither is that gpu. 

Need to turn the settings down for cod and pubg. 

Either optimise what you have or keep throwing money at it. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

11 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

That's for you to answer. What were you hoping to get out of it?

Game play with no tearing, stuttering, input lag. At $650 I should get that.

11 hours ago, suchamoneypit said:

This is someone saying "Do I really need this lamborghini, I daily drive it to work, but I think it might be too much". You bought the high end version. It has a lot of capabilities. If you do not think the capabilities are worth the cost, or you drive like a grandma and never utilize what a lamborghini [1080] its about, then maybe is the better financial decision to sell the lambo[1080] and just get a prius[1060]. Some people have the money and get a lambo because they can though, and some people just like having it. I have many friends playing ONLY LoL at 1080p on a 980ti, 1080s, 1070s, ect.

Shouldn't the lambo get me to work without tearing, stuttering or input lag? According to the websites, no. My experience even with rocket league. If I don't turn on vsync, I get tearing. I see the exact same thing on my friends 1070. I did not buy it just to have it. I wanted smooth game play with no perceptible input lag. From what I read you can't get that. So again, am I missing something?

11 hours ago, phongle123 said:

UPSCALE that resolution. 4K on a 4K monitor is too bandwagon-y.

Anyways if it's fairly new monitor, return the monitor and get a higher refresh rate one if you can.

Are you saying that getting a different monitor with say 144 refresh is going to give me no tearing, no stuttering, and no perceivable input lag? From what I read from forms and videos, that answer is no. 

You ever drive a high horse power car in the rain? Can’t always blame the car if there’s inclement weather or road conditions. Also the driver plays a big part. 

Seeing how I play all of my games with a 1080 and no issues, I assume it’s settings or hardware, maybe a combination of both. Given such little info all we can do it guess. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

11 hours ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

2560x1440p Gsync 144hz or more is worth every penny with a GTX 1080 for gaming, that and an oculus rift headset.

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#r=256001440&A=1&sort=price&page=1&W=2700,5500

From what I have seen on videos and forums. My point was. I put together a computer, I spend way more than an xbox. then I am told, oh you have to get a 1080 for smooth game play. Then I have to spend even more money to get a tiny 27" monitor. The xbox you can play on a 55" tv that costs less that the 31.5 monitor your listed. Just doesn't make sense. I looked into the oculus and the vive. The technology and the games are not there. I will wait a couple more years. But that too seem like another money pit. Player One is NOT ready. It would seem that smooth gaming is not ready for prime time on a 1080.

10 hours ago, whoisit1118 said:

Although that graphics power might not be useful at the moment, powerful graphics card might be useful for future proofing. 

The card will not play games without tearing, stuttering, or no perceivable input lag. You think this will get better in the future as the games become more gpu hungry?

10 hours ago, alphaproject said:

You have two options.... return the card, get $$$ back or return monitor and get a 144hz like I did.

That's it....

The 1060 will even play those games over 60hz as well BTW. I get over 60fps even in Dishonored 2 death of the outsider. 100+ fps in War Thunder maxed. So yea.... I have a 144hz Viewsonic Gaming Monitor though. Still 1080p but that's why I have the 1060 and not a GTX1080.

So are you saying I will be getting no tearing, stutter or input lag if I get the monitor or if I get the 1060? According the videos and articles I read that would not be the case, you still deal with all these problems with a 1080 and a high refresh monitor. The 1060 is will also have problems and possibly even more on newer games. 

8 hours ago, veli2501 said:

Tearing can occur if the frame rate being pushed by the GPU is higher that the monitor can output

I read that, and that a 1080 can have stuttering, and input lag and there appears to be no solution to the problem. A 1080 Ti will not help and a new monitor can have problems still if the frame rat drops below 144fps, even if you use Gsync monitor according to the articles I read.

4 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

You ever drive a high horse power car in the rain? Can’t always blame the car if there’s inclement weather or road conditions. Also the driver plays a big part. 

Seeing how I play all of my games with a 1080 and no issues, I assume it’s settings or hardware, maybe a combination of both. Given such little info all we can do it guess. 

I do not put my computer in the rain. Dumb analogy. A better one would be you bought a fast car to go fast but it cannot go fast because of built in deficiencies and design problems that cause all the new cars not to go fast but old cars that do not go fast have better performance than the new cars.  I have read articles and seen videos, they said you cannot fix this problem even with a 1080 Ti and a fast refresh monitor. If you know how to fix it then tell me. What more information do you need. Do you want me to point you to the articles that say this? Do you need to know more about my set up. You say I play all my games with no problem What games do you play, Chess? Do you have a 60hz non gsync monitor that does not produce tearing without vsync?

5 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

Well seems like a hardware issue. 

Cpu isn’t the strongest and neither is that gpu. 

Need to turn the settings down for cod and pubg. 

Either optimise what you have or keep throwing money at it. 

But an Xbox one doesn't have these issues when played on a big screen tv. You are suggesting turning settings down on a 1080? Why did I buy one? Others are saying a 1060 will play all my games with no problems, but I see the same problems on a 1070, it is not a HW issue, I have other friends with computers that have the same problems. They just put up with it. Instead of throwing money at it, throw it out and get an xbox one x. Seems like that is the answer but that is stupid too. Why don't intel and nvidai get their act together with the game makers and come up with games that run without tearing, stuttering, percetable input lag on reasonably priced hardware instead of having to buy a $100,000 hell cat and still have these problems

1 hour ago, r1chm said:

I do not put my computer in the rain. Dumb analogy. A better one would be you bought a fast car to go fast but it cannot go fast because of built in deficiencies and design problems that cause all the new cars not to go fast but old cars that do not go fast have better performance than the new cars.  I have read articles and seen videos, they said you cannot fix this problem even with a 1080 Ti and a fast refresh monitor. If you know how to fix it then tell me. What more information do you need. Do you want me to point you to the articles that say this? Do you need to know more about my set up. You say I play all my games with no problem What games do you play, Chess? Do you have a 60hz non gsync monitor that does not produce tearing without vsync?

Didn’t say anything about putting a pc in the rain. Just going along with the dumb analogy that was brought up. 

I play the battle fields, cod and pubg. 

The monitors I have and use are in the sig. I didn’t get a pc to have 60hz nor would I use vsync as I play FPS games, so using that on a 60hz monitor isn’t the brightest thing to do. 

1 hour ago, r1chm said:

Buying mid grade stuff results in mid grade performance. That’s why you turn stuff down. Only a fool would think they could run pubg maxed on a 1080. Even more so with cod and a mid grade cpu. The games are crap, get good hardware to overcome their crap or find a way around it. 

The fact that that you haven’t shown any info about what the pc is doing while gaming makes it difficult to help. If you and your friends are having issues, it must be compiled. User and hardware problems.

The companies don’t have to do anything when the answers and options are out there. If you want to downgrade to console and not have the issues because they are too weak and limited to have a problem then that’s one way to avoid it. 

Go back to console gaming OP.  It sounds like PC is not for you.

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

Turn on fast-sync and you will be able to play at higher frame rates with no tearing. 

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

5 hours ago, r1chm said:

From what I have seen on videos and forums. My point was. I put together a computer, I spend way more than an xbox. then I am told, oh you have to get a 1080 for smooth game play. Then I have to spend even more money to get a tiny 27" monitor. The xbox you can play on a 55" tv that costs less that the 31.5 monitor your listed. Just doesn't make sense. I looked into the oculus and the vive. The technology and the games are not there. I will wait a couple more years. But that too seem like another money pit. Player One is NOT ready. It would seem that smooth gaming is not ready for prime time on a 1080.

just so you know, you can plug your PC into a crappy 55'' TV as well if you want...

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

7 hours ago, r1chm said:

Game play with no tearing, stuttering, input lag. At $650 I should get that.

That's what g-sync is for.

If you're reading about issues online, that will be the case for every product. Make sure what whether or not what you're reading applies in your situation. 

The price tag doesn't change what the product ultimately is and whether or not you're using it correctly. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

11 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

Didn’t say anything about putting a pc in the rain. Just going along with the dumb analogy that was brought up. 

{I did not bring it up}

I play the battle fields, cod and pubg. 

Only a fool would think they could run pubg maxed on a 1080. 

{Really? People play PUBG at ultra with a GTX1080.  See the picture below. So when you make wild comments that are simply untrue, or calling people fools who run max settings on a particular card, your comments are diminished because it appears you don't know what you are talking about}

The fact that that you haven’t shown any info about what the pc is doing while gaming makes it difficult to help.

{I gave that info above I said it gets tearing on my monitor, if I turn sync on, it limits it to 60 fps, so my question was why do you buy a card at that price. I could take the card back and pay $1000 but know one has proven that that would solve the problem and if I stay with this card, getting a fast frame rate monitor will resolve the  issue of smooth game play without tearing, stuttering or input lag mentioned in the articles I have read } 

My card according to this video and the image below plays pubg at minimum 61 fps per second. 

gpu.jpg

6 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

That's what g-sync is for.

If you're reading about issues online, that will be the case for every product. Make sure what whether or not what you're reading applies in your situation. 

The price tag doesn't change what the product ultimately is and whether or not you're using it correctly. 

In the image in my previous post as an example, a GTX 1080 plays PUBG in ultra mode at min 61 FPS.  Are you saying buying a $739 high refresh rate monitor will fix tearing problems and ensure fluid motion, no tearing, no stuttering and no perceivable input lag?

The other guy seems to think I need the top of the line processor, a $1000 GTX 1080Ti and the $739 monitor and my problems will go away. If that is the case perhaps the xbox is the way to go.

Anyway no one in this post answered my question, no one convinced me that throwing more money at it will solve the problem, (although I assume that $1739 upgrade to my current system might be the resolution, but I am not willing to pay that.) 

I was not here to win and internet argument, after adding an m.2 ssd, motherboard 16gb ram, case, power supply, to this solution really makes me think the xbox is the way to go. The released and update for the system to do 4k gaming, don't know if it is a good solution but knowing Microsoft, it will look good and just work like it always has.

16 minutes ago, r1chm said:

In the image in my previous post as an example, a GTX 1080 plays PUBG in ultra mode at min 61 FPS.  Are you saying buying a $739 high refresh rate monitor will fix tearing problems and ensure fluid motion, no tearing, no stuttering and no perceivable input lag?

Again, what you're looking for is g-sync.

25 minutes ago, r1chm said:

Really? People play PUBG at ultra with a GTX1080.

Ultra isn't maxed.

Please leave responses under quotes as opposed to inside of them --leaving your response inside the quotes makes it more difficult for others to quote your post.

Yea said what the pc is doing, you haven’t shown anything. I guess that’s the hard part for you to understand. Trying to diagnose a problem with zero information about what the pc is doing. I can play pubg maxes out and suffer from low frame rates too. 60 isn’t enough, if you want to lose every time, sure go right ahead. Also you do need a better cpu if you plan on playing cod with higher settings and frames. But you can keep leaking YouTube vids if you think that’s gonna fix you’re problems. 

7 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

Yea said what the pc is doing, you haven’t shown anything. I guess that’s the hard part for you to understand. Trying to diagnose a problem with zero information about what the pc is doing. I can play pubg maxes out and suffer from low frame rates too. 60 isn’t enough, if you want to lose every time, sure go right ahead. Also you do need a better cpu if you plan on playing cod with higher settings and frames. But you can keep leaking YouTube vids if you think that’s gonna fix you’re problems. 

UR PCs ARE BEASTS

14 hours ago, r1chm said:

The other guy seems to think I need the top of the line processor, a $1000 GTX 1080Ti and the $739 monitor and my problems will go away. If that is the case perhaps the xbox is the way to go.

Anyway no one in this post answered my question, no one convinced me that throwing more money at it will solve the problem, (although I assume that $1739 upgrade to my current system might be the resolution, but I am not willing to pay that.) 

I was not here to win and internet argument, after adding an m.2 ssd, motherboard 16gb ram, case, power supply, to this solution really makes me think the xbox is the way to go. The released and update for the system to do 4k gaming, don't know if it is a good solution but knowing Microsoft, it will look good and just work like it always has.

dont quit the PC MASTER RACE dude :( if you have a 60Hz monitor, and don't want to get a super expensive G-SYNC monitor, you can try looking for an adaptive sync monitor. if you don't want to do that just set the fps cap to something just below your 1080s average fps, if your 1080 can put out 198 fps and never EVER go below that then just set the fps cap to a multiple of 60, like 120. i can see how to post turned into a crap show, pls make another post and link me to it so i can help without any of these time wasters around

7 minutes ago, HK1 said:

UR PCs ARE BEASTS

Yea, so much that I can’t even play cod without my cpu getting destroyed. Same with bf1. I need to upgrade everyone really. Gotta turn down settings for pubg as well.