am4 cooler for ryzen 5 2600

thanos999

im looking for a better cooler thats am4 compatible for my new amd ryzen chip any suggestions ?

37 minutes ago, thanos999 said:

im looking for a better cooler thats am4 compatible for my new amd ryzen chip any suggestions ?

If you're building a new PC post the parts list/budget/country.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Just now, thanos999 said:

ive already built it just need a good cpu cooler

Then what's your budget/case?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

about £30 for a cpu cooler the case is a nzxt source 210 elite thats 5 years old but i could also rebuild the system in a nzxt 810 switch  case thats 6 years old im a old hand at building pcs only built this cause the motherboard on my old i7 3770k system that was in the switch became faulty with a memory problem between the cpu and ram slots

48 minutes ago, thanos999 said:

The Ryzen Stock cooler does a good enough job that I wouldn't really suggest you bother with the 120mm air cooler that 30 GBP will buy. Like a Hyper T4 or Cryoirig H5/H7

Save up for a 240mm AIO or higher end air cooler in that event.

Spoiler

im currently stil doing the build want to get a new gpu first im just asking so that when i order the gpu i can order the cpu cooler at the same time by then i might have upto £50 for the cooler id fit my corsair h100 if i could get am4 fittings for it but i cant seem to find any am4 fittings for the h100 even looked on corsairs usa site but they dont seem to do am 4 fittings for it they do am3 fittings but im not sure if this motherboaard is backward compatible this is my first amd build always been an intel fanboy so dont no much about amd

3 minutes ago, thanos999 said:

So you haven't bought your new PC hardware yet? Only like the Crosshair VI supports AM3+ coolers.

The Master Liquid 240 is like 45 GBP and fits AM4 out of the box.
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/9gRFf7/cooler-master-masterliquid-lite-240-667-cfm-liquid-cpu-cooler-mlw-d24m-a20pw-r1

Spoiler

ive bought the board chip and ram put it in an old case heres a part picker off what the current components are

ryzen build.png

8 minutes ago, thanos999 said:

Then ya just use the stock cooler until you can get a 240mm AIO.

Spoiler

last week my i7 3770 pc developed a fault on the motherboard with a asus code off 55 which is a memory problem i tried all weekend to fix the problem also looked on various forums that im a member off and the best respons was get a new motherboard

i looked on ebay for the same socket motherboard and all the motherboards were either faulty or more expensive than a new one i even found someone selling exactly the same motherboard that hade gon faulty for me and it was £25 more expensive than when i bought the new in 2013

so i thought i might as well build a new system the parts picker screeny is what i have already got and what im using now if you notice the price off the motherboard a second hand motherboard for my i7 was more expensive than the new motherboard

1 hour ago, thanos999 said:

im currently stil doing the build want to get a new gpu first im just asking so that when i order the gpu i can order the cpu cooler at the same time by then i might have upto £50 for the cooler id fit my corsair h100 if i could get am4 fittings for it but i cant seem to find any am4 fittings for the h100 even looked on corsairs usa site but they dont seem to do am 4 fittings for it they do am3 fittings but im not sure if this motherboaard is backward compatible this is my first amd build always been an intel fanboy so dont no much about amd

I don't think Corsair has AM4 mounts for the H100 but you can contact them and make sure in case I'm mistaken. The original AM3 mounts kinda fit but it's not an even mount and would result in poor performance. 

Why not stick with the stock cooler?

50 minutes ago, thanos999 said:

ive bought the board chip and ram put it in an old case heres a part picker off what the current components are

-snip-

There's a permalink at the top left for linking your PcPartPicker parts list.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

7 hours ago, thanos999 said:

...always been an intel fanboy so dont no much about amd

Firstly, welcome to Ryzen, AMDs first performance chip in a very long time, glad to have you on board! :)

So there are two things you need to know about Ryzen that will be major differences compared to your past Intel systems:

1.) AMD Ryzen CPUs do throttle at a lower temperature than Intel CPUs. Where as Intel CPUs will hit about 90°C before experiencing issues, Ryzen will begin to experience the same issues at about 80°C, so it is important that you get a decent cooler if you are going to be overclocking or else all of your performance gain will be lost to thermal throttling. I agree with @Zagna here, the Arctic 33 eSports ONE is a brand new cooler on the market, and has been shown to produce similar thermal performance to some big, twin-tower 140mm style coolers. The Twin Fan edition will max out your cooler budget, but it is by far the best choice in that price range, will fit in your case, and because you can choose your color, it will look damn good too. The H100i is also a good choice, but that will more than double your budget and 240mm AIOs can be outmatched by higher-end air coolers. As far as the Arctic 33 is concerned, I would expect its performance to be similar to, or maybe just a couple degrees C worse performing than that H100i. The Arctic 33 has been shown to effectively cool even a mildly Overclocked Threadripper, so its certainly no slouch.

2.) AMD Ryzen performance depends HEAVILY on RAM amount and speed due to Infinity Fabric that interconnects the separate, multiple dies. You will want to save a decent chunk of your build budget for a good set of 16GB (8GBx2) 3000+MHz RAM sticks. Even if you choose to not OC your CPU, OC-ing your RAM is almost a necessity on Ryzen. You will want to make sure your RAM is operating at a minimum of 2800MHz according to BIOS to get the most out of your new Ryzen system.

Im currently running a Ryzen 1600X build myself, its an ultimate air-cooling build, in fact one of the most extreme air-cooling builds on the LTT forums (as far as cooling is concerned, anyway). Ive managed to pull off identical CPU cooling performance as the fairly new 360mm Corsair H150i AIO, but it comes at a price, a little over $400 USD to be exact (between case, case fans, CPU cooler and cooler fans). Check out my build log in my signature for details, and let me know of any other questions you may have. :)

Above all, enjoy your new build!

Top-Tier Air-Cooled Gaming PC

Current Build Thread:

On 28/04/2018 at 4:54 AM, WallacEngineering said:

Firstly, welcome to Ryzen, AMDs first performance chip in a very long time, glad to have you on board! :)

So there are two things you need to know about Ryzen that will be major differences compared to your past Intel systems:

1.) AMD Ryzen CPUs do throttle at a lower temperature than Intel CPUs. Where as Intel CPUs will hit about 90°C before experiencing issues, Ryzen will begin to experience the same issues at about 80°C, so it is important that you get a decent cooler if you are going to be overclocking or else all of your performance gain will be lost to thermal throttling. I agree with @Zagna here, the Arctic 33 eSports ONE is a brand new cooler on the market, and has been shown to produce similar thermal performance to some big, twin-tower 140mm style coolers. The Twin Fan edition will max out your cooler budget, but it is by far the best choice in that price range, will fit in your case, and because you can choose your color, it will look damn good too. The H100i is also a good choice, but that will more than double your budget and 240mm AIOs can be outmatched by higher-end air coolers. As far as the Arctic 33 is concerned, I would expect its performance to be similar to, or maybe just a couple degrees C worse performing than that H100i. The Arctic 33 has been shown to effectively cool even a mildly Overclocked Threadripper, so its certainly no slouch.

2.) AMD Ryzen performance depends HEAVILY on RAM amount and speed due to Infinity Fabric that interconnects the separate, multiple dies. You will want to save a decent chunk of your build budget for a good set of 16GB (8GBx2) 3000+MHz RAM sticks. Even if you choose to not OC your CPU, OC-ing your RAM is almost a necessity on Ryzen. You will want to make sure your RAM is operating at a minimum of 2800MHz according to BIOS to get the most out of your new Ryzen system.

Im currently running a Ryzen 1600X build myself, its an ultimate air-cooling build, in fact one of the most extreme air-cooling builds on the LTT forums (as far as cooling is concerned, anyway). Ive managed to pull off identical CPU cooling performance as the fairly new 360mm Corsair H150i AIO, but it comes at a price, a little over $400 USD to be exact (between case, case fans, CPU cooler and cooler fans). Check out my build log in my signature for details, and let me know of any other questions you may have. :)

Above all, enjoy your new build!

thanks for the advice. looks like i will need to get faster ramm then as well but before i do i need to replace my gpus thinking off going gtx 1070 or getting second hand 980 980ti depending on budget which will be about £400 which will bring the build upto £900 but i got my old pc components to sell so i should be able to add an extra £100 hopefully i could also go back to watercooling got a 360 rad ddcpump masterkleer tubing xspc resivoir and fittings just need to find a good am4 compatible cpu block

13 hours ago, thanos999 said:

thanks for the advice. looks like i will need to get faster ramm then as well but before i do i need to replace my gpus thinking off going gtx 1070 or getting second hand 980 980ti depending on budget which will be about £400 which will bring the build upto £900 but i got my old pc components to sell so i should be able to add an extra £100 hopefully i could also go back to watercooling got a 360 rad ddcpump masterkleer tubing xspc resivoir and fittings just need to find a good am4 compatible cpu block

Well if you can overclock your current RAM to 2800 or higher then you are fine for the time being. I picked up a second hand 980 off eBay for $225USD shipped, recently too. The mining craze is pretty much over, should be able to score a decent deal these days.

Also, watercooling an R5 2600 is actually massive overkill. Even with maximum stable overclock, my 1600X doesn't even hit 70C after hours of stress testing. Sure I have an extreme air cooling setup, but Im sure that the Arctic 33 will be fine I am sure, it has been shown to sufficiently cool even a mildly overclocked threadripper. However, if you want to watercool for the asthetic, theres nothing like it, so have fun!

Current Build Thread:

@Streetguru

AIOs are overkill for the 2600, which only uses 95w at most. And i dont really trust coolermaster, as theyve leaked on my countless times.

However, if you are going with a cheap AIO, id go with the deepcool captain 240/120EX. It may not be of the best quality, as there are a lot of leak cases, but the customer support is great. Theyll refund you all the damaged parts for the original purchase price and may even upgrade your cooler, which coolermaster does not do. The performance is aldo comparable to a NH-D15 and is only 2 -4 db louder. It also looks sexy and has 1 year longer warranty that coolermaster

On 4/27/2018 at 4:09 PM, thanos999 said:

about £30 for a cpu cooler the case is a nzxt source 210 elite thats 5 years old but i could also rebuild the system in a nzxt 810 switch  case thats 6 years old im a old hand at building pcs only built this cause the motherboard on my old i7 3770k system that was in the switch became faulty with a memory problem between the cpu and ram slots

The Arctic Freezer 33 Esports ONE looks like a good option.

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

ive decided to switch  the sytem from the sourc 210 into the switch 810 yesterday i finally finished putting all the parts into the sourc 210 cable manigment is terrible no room to easily get to some off the fan headers and sata ports put 3 fans in it yesterday and put the sides onto the case started playing world off tanks and it hard looked did a restart tooke 5 minuets for it to get into bios 2 harddrives hade disapered put the small overclock i did back to stock and tried to boot again took 10 minuets to boot to windows screen boot manager was missing it eventually took me about 1hr to get it working properly again so i left the sides off the sourc 210 and later on today will switch everything  into the switch 810 witch has all the watercooling parts fitted into it so im after a decent cpu block that wont cost much more than £50

2 hours ago, michaelbelgium said:

What about the normal 33? It only has one fan tho but 20€ cheaper (here around belgium)

The single fan edition is decent but if he wants to OC in the future, the dual-fan edition would be advised.

Current Build Thread:

12 hours ago, michaelbelgium said:

What about the normal 33? It only has one fan tho but 20€ cheaper (here around belgium)

The main difference is that the eSports ONE has a better and higher rpm fan. They have the same heatsink. The difference isn't worth 20€ though.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

49 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

The main difference is that the eSports ONE has a better and higher rpm fan. They have the same heatsink. The difference isn't worth 20€ though.

becaus the stock cooler isnt the same one as on the ryzen 5 1600 its the sam one they use on the ryzen 3 its the Wraith Stealth Cooler not the Wraith Spire Cooler

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

@thanos999 Decent point here, unlike Intel, AMD's stock coolers are actually fairly nice. They can even provide mild overclocking ability. However, if you want to push further while remaining under 80C, then  a better cooler such as the H7 would be advised.

So put simply, an aftermarket cooler is only needed when pushing ryzen beyond 1.35V with all cores and SMT enabled. So if you want maximum safe overclocks around ~1.40V or slightly above, THEN an aftermarket cooler is absolutely necessary

Current Build Thread: