Can Server motherboard take computer ram?

hello everyone,

i want to make sure before i buy a server dual socket motherboard skt1366Proliant DL380 G6 LGA 1366 motherboard), does this motherboard take two xeon X5690 and normal DDR3 Desktop ram ? as it is stated that it takes UDIMM and RDIMM ram , also if you know exactly about this motherboard, which version you recommend? is it the G6 version or the G7?

any and all answer/opinions are more than appreciated.

Thank you all :) 

UDIMM memory will have the same maximum limit as an i7 1366 from that generation but yes if you have existing DDR3 memory you can use it. If you are buying it then definitely buy DDR3 RDIMM used on ebay, it's not that expensive.

Get the G7 if you can, it has newer iLO3 rather than iLO2 which is extremely old and hard to get working properly on modern browsers.

They are both 5520 chipset based motherboards so really not much difference at all.

DL380 G6: https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=c04282582

DL380 G7: https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=c04199811

The Xeon 5690 is not listed in supported CPUs for the G6, however it is listed as a supported CPU in the G7. Though the X5690 was released a full year after the other CPUs so it could just be that the supported list in the spec sheet wasn't updated. I'd recommend checking firmware updates to see if any changelogs list adding support for the X5690.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

I took a quick look at the motherboard and noticed nothing about it is standard. Make sure you have the right case and PSU as well. And like leadeater said ECC memory might even be cheaper if you don't already have it.

12 minutes ago, leadeater said:

You seem to know more about this so correct me if I'm wrong

CPU: 2x Xeon E5 2670 Motherboard: ASRock EP2C602-4L/D16,  RAM: 64GB of 1333 MHz mermory from Samsung (ECC),  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1070,  Case: NZXT Switch 810, Storage: Samsug EVO 250GB and 500GB, 3x3 TB and 1x1TB  HDD  PSU: Corsair RM 850,  Mouse: Logitech MX Master 2s,  Headset: Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO black edition (80 ohm), OS: UnRaid with two VMs and Plex 

3 minutes ago, DieselWeasel said:

I took a quick look at the motherboard and noticed nothing about it is standard.

Yea nothing is standard, you could use it outside of the designed HP server chassis but it would be a giant hassle. Probably installed 50 or more of the G6's and G7's each and honestly not much difference at all other than the iLO.

8 minutes ago, Spotty said:

The Xeon 5690 is not listed in supported CPUs for the G6, however it is listed as a supported CPU in the G7. Though the X5690 was released a full year after the other CPUs so it could just be that the supported list in the spec sheet wasn't updated. I'd recommend checking firmware updates to see if any changelogs list adding support for the X5690.

The X5690 will work in a G6 so long as it's been firmware updated like you suggested. The Intel chipset on the G6 and G7 is exactly the same.

2 hours ago, leadeater said:

UDIMM memory will have the same maximum limit as an i7 1366 from that generation but yes if you have existing DDR3 memory you can use it. If you are buying it then definitely buy DDR3 RDIMM used on ebay, it's not that expensive.

Get the G7 if you can, it has newer iLO3 rather than iLO2 which is extremely old and hard to get working properly on modern browsers.

They are both 5520 chipset based motherboards so really not much difference at all.

and would the G7 support the Xeon X5690 ? and what about an ASUS RX580 - 8gb graphics card? 

also what is the maximum RAM supported in all ? and in what capacity each ?

2 hours ago, DieselWeasel said:

I took a quick look at the motherboard and noticed nothing about it is standard. Make sure you have the right case and PSU as well. And like leadeater said ECC memory might even be cheaper if you don't already have it.

You seem to know more about this so correct me if I'm wrong

would i be able to use a 1000W computer PSU to power this Server Motherboard? i read a forum stating that normal PC PSUs can be used with molex to Server power cables  

17 minutes ago, OCD-FREAK said:

would i be able to use a 1000W computer PSU to power this Server Motherboard? i read a forum stating that normal PC PSUs can be used with molex to Server power cables  

Just buy an Intel S5520HC motherboard, it's a workstation focused dual socket motherboard of the same chipset as these HP servers. I've got 3 of them and they work great and are completely standard form factor and power connectors.

Supermicro also have motherboard options that can be found on ebay or equiv site.

If you're not going to use the motherboard in the original chassis then avoid rackmount proprietary form factor motherboards, not worth the effort.

22 minutes ago, OCD-FREAK said:

would the G7 support the Xeon X5690

Yes

22 minutes ago, OCD-FREAK said:

what about an ASUS RX580 - 8gb graphics card

Not in the DL380 G7 chassis with the standard PSU no. In a different case and normal power supply yes.

23 minutes ago, OCD-FREAK said:

also what is the maximum RAM supported in all ? and in what capacity each ?

48GB UDIMM (12x2GB) or 384GB (12x32GB).

image.png.4c13dce544e07a4b44fecbdd60238b56.png

25 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Just buy an Intel S5520HC motherboard, it's a workstation focused dual socket motherboard of the same chipset as these HP servers. I've got 3 of them and they work great and are completely standard form factor and power connectors.

Supermicro also have motherboard options that can be found on ebay or equiv site.

If you're not going to use the motherboard in the original chassis then avoid rackmount proprietary form factor motherboards, not worth the effort.

Yes

Not in the DL380 G7 chassis with the standard PSU no. In a different case and normal power supply yes.

48GB UDIMM (12x2GB) or 384GB (12x32GB).

image.png.4c13dce544e07a4b44fecbdd60238b56.png

thanks you so much, please keep guiding me. i have 8gb x 6 and 4gb x 12 and 2gb x 10, how can i use all of them ? or is it better to search on ebay for 64gb ECC ddr3 Ram ?  

42 minutes ago, OCD-FREAK said:

thanks you so much, please keep guiding me. i have 8gb x 6 and 4gb x 12 and 2gb x 10, how can i use all of them ? or is it better to search on ebay for 64gb ECC ddr3 Ram ?  

Hmm, I think the 8GB UDIMMs might work they just didn't exist back then. I don't think I can actually check that though.

If you go with the Intel S5520HC it only has 12 ram slots where the HP DL380 G7 has 18 but only 12 can be used with UDIMMs.

If using UDIMMs then the 12 4GB configuration is actually the easiest.

I would give this a try though, put 3 8GB sticks in to the first bank of each CPU. That's slots 3, 6 and 9 btw. Then put 3 4GB sticks in to the second bank for each CPU, thats slots 2, 5 and 8. This should give you 72GB of ram.

No need to actually buy any ram until you try what you have and see what actually works.

P.S. Full memory configuration information can be found here, it's a bit of a mind bender if you're not used to reading these. https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c02215414

9 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Hmm, I think the 8GB UDIMMs might work they just didn't exist back then. I don't think I can actually check that though.

If you go with the Intel S5520HC it only has 12 ram slots where the HP DL380 G7 has 18 but only 12 can be used with UDIMMs.

If using UDIMMs then the 12 4GB configuration is actually the easiest.

I would give this a try though, put 3 8GB sticks in to the first bank of each CPU. That's slots 3, 6 and 9 btw. Then put 3 4GB sticks in to the second bank for each CPU, thats slots 2, 5 and 8. This should give you 72GB of ram.

No need to actually buy any ram until you try what you have and see what actually works.

P.S. Full memory configuration information can be found here, it's a bit of a mind bender if you're not used to reading these. https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c02215414

but will the motherboard make use of ECC memory functions if i use these desktop RAM? XMS3 and ADATA? 64GB of ECC RAM is for 160$ on Ebay, so i think its not that expensive for an investment, right?

21 minutes ago, OCD-FREAK said:

but will the motherboard make use of ECC memory functions if i use these desktop RAM? XMS3 and ADATA? 64GB of ECC RAM is for 160$ on Ebay, so i think its not that expensive for an investment, right?

No the ram actually has to be ECC. When looking for ram though be careful as there is ECC UDIMM and ECC RDIMM, if you are going to buy some then get ECC RDIMM. Usually the ram models will end with an R to signify that it's RDIMM or Registered.

Here's an example https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-M393B1K70CH0-YH9-PC3L-10600R-DDR3-1333-Registered/dp/B00DUGCHNO

PC3L-10600R <- That R means Registered and you want that.

11 minutes ago, leadeater said:

No the ram actually has to be ECC. When looking for ram though be careful as there is ECC UDIMM and ECC RDIMM, if you are going to buy some then get ECC RDIMM. Usually the ram models will end with an R to signify that it's RDIMM or Registered.

Here's an example https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-M393B1K70CH0-YH9-PC3L-10600R-DDR3-1333-Registered/dp/B00DUGCHNO

PC3L-10600R <- That R means Registered and you want that.

are those good? :

https://www.ebay.com/itm/282811323966?ViewItem=&item=282811323966