Can't slow fans down

Scooby622

I have an article f8 that I am trying to set a fan curve on because it's obnoxiously loud right now. My Asus a320m-k has fan curve options in the bios which works for the cpu fan but not for this fan. I can get these fans slower on my other motherboard though. Any thoughts?

1 minute ago, Scooby622 said:

I have an article f8 that I am trying to set a fan curve on because it's obnoxiously loud right now. My Asus a320m-k has fan curve options in the bios which works for the cpu fan but not for this fan. I can get these fans slower on my other motherboard though. Any thoughts?

WHats the connector on the fan? 3 or 4 pin?

3 pin is not PWM controllable so it runs at a set speed and 4 pin has PWM so it can be controlled by software.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN RESPONDING

Please Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It. Take Time & Explain

New TOS RUINED the meme that used to be below :( 

4 minutes ago, Jrock said:

WHats the connector on the fan? 3 or 4 pin?

3 pin is not PWM controllable so it runs at a set speed and 4 pin has PWM so it can be controlled by software.

It is 3 pin. But I have been able to change speeds on these before

Just now, Scooby622 said:

It is 3 pin. But I have been able to change speeds on these before

Some mobos might be able to control voltage to those fans. Ive never really seen that before.

YOu can try to plug the fan into a different header and see if that works.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN RESPONDING

Please Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It. Take Time & Explain

New TOS RUINED the meme that used to be below :( 

Apparently some motherboards use pwm to control speed on three pin fans, while others vary the voltage on 3 pin fans. Either way speed control should be doable.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

It could be that the particular header doesn't have fan control chip. Does manual say it's controlled like the others?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

If you haven't already, check the motherboard fan settings and make sure the header the 3pin fan is plugged into is set to DC mode.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.