Need your help with a Server PC build

Go to solution Solved by braneopbru,
14 hours ago, Meet Vora said:

Context:

I am making a server for my family's small business for data pooling, backups and redundancy. The total data will not exceed 1tb (for a year at least), and there will be a maximum of seven to eight computers accessing it at any time. Keeping the budget low is paramount. I have decided to go with Ryzen 3 processor and a sub $100 Motherboard. For the OS, I have decided to use ClearOS, although all my client computers run windows. I intend to use samba or similar, to enable access.

Questions about the build:

1. I know servers are conventionally better off running chips like Xeons with ECC memory, but the only affordable Xeon I was able to find is the Intel Xeon Processor E3110 (6M Cache, 3.00 GHz, 1333 Mhz FSB) that costs around $140. Can I get away with using a consumer grade CPU like a Ryzen 3? (or Celeron/Pentium?) (Note: It seems that the Xeon is a bit dated [2008] and it doesn't perform that well for that price)

2. What motherboard should I choose? Is the MSI ProSeries AMD Ryzen A320 DDR4 VR Ready USB 3 micro-ATX Motherboard (A320M PRO-VD PLUS) a good choice?

Questions about RAID 1:

1. Does every motherboard support raid? If not, does the one mentioned support RAID?

2. Do I need to get a raid card for RAID 1?

3. If yes, is this a good choice: Syba Combo SATA III (6.0Gbps) + IDE Ports (2+1) PCI-Express RAID 0, 1 Card SD-PEX40035?

Any suggestions for the hardware and OS are welcome!

Sandy Bridge Xeons are CHEAP!

Here's a quad core e3-1220 for $38

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Intel-Xeon-E3-1220-3-1GHz-8MB-5GT-s-4-Thread-SR00F-LGA-1155-Server-Processor/183183975865?hash=item2aa69da5b9:g:~bIAAOSw8Zha1n0g

Supermicro server board for $50 including heatsink. Dual network ports PLUS IPMI for remote management and six onboard SATA ports - no need to buy an add on card for more ports.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Supermicro-X9SCL-Server-MBD-Intel-C202-Chipset-Socket-H2-LGA-1155-HeatSink/273150331030?hash=item3f99074896:g:KVUAAOSwRypZjf-J

This board supports (requires?) ECC RAM. Which is a good thing because it's ECC and more importantly because older and slower server memory pricing hasn't gone full retard lately. I just bought 48GB of ECC DDR3 the othe day for $210 Canadian. Here's 8GB for $50

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Hynix-8GB-4x2GB-PC3-10600E-DDR3-1333Mhz-240PIN-CL9-ECC-Unbuffered-UDIMM-Memory/362188389340?hash=item54541c3bdc:g:rlwAAOSwA~VaNJv2

Get two of the 16GB Samsung SSDs. Yes 16GB. You set them up in a software RAID 1 mirror set for your boot device. You don't need anything bigger than that for your OS. NEVER, EVER put your OS and your data on the same drive. These are server grade drives and should last forever, but keeping them in a RAID 1 will ensure that if one of them fails, your OS will keep happily running along with no downtime for the users. These are going for $18, but I have seen and purchased some for as low as $12/each.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Samsung-16GB-MLC-2-5-SATA-II-SSD-Solid-State-Drive-MMBRE16G5MSP-0VA-R418N/322977790548?hash=item4b32f9fa54:g:CrUAAOSwh1haRxxY

For power supply, just go with Seasonic. In my experience and opinion they are absolutely bulletproof. Look what $25 gets you. An overkill 430 watt unit that will outlive you.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/SeaSonic-S12-II-SS-430GB-430W-ATX12V-SLI-Ready-CrossFire-Ready-80-PLUS-Certified/183186838796?hash=item2aa6c9550c:g:HycAAOSwMh5a2OKl

Get four drives for storage and you're good to go. You can get WD Red NAS 2tb drives for about $50. Put the four in RAID5 and you have 6TB of Storage with the ability to loose one data drive and not loose any data. Plus you can pick up a 6TB external drive for $100 and back up your complete RAID array for offsite storage.

Not counting your data drives, the auctions I linked add up to $199 US. Another $200 for the four drives and $100 for a external back up device puts you at $500. That's for top quality server grade hardware. 

Oh and FYI - that's the exact mobo and CPU that I was running on my Plex server. With 16GB of RAM, it has enough horsepower to transcode 4 simultaneous 1080p streams and saturate a 10gb network card while recording from 4 security cameras to a RAID1 array.  

Context:

I am making a server for my family's small business for data pooling, backups and redundancy. The total data will not exceed 1tb (for a year at least), and there will be a maximum of seven to eight computers accessing it at any time. Keeping the budget low is paramount. I have decided to go with Ryzen 3 processor and a sub $100 Motherboard. For the OS, I have decided to use ClearOS, although all my client computers run windows. I intend to use samba or similar, to enable access.

1. I know servers are conventionally better off running chips like Xeons with ECC memory, but the only affordable Xeon I was able to find is the Intel Xeon Processor E3110 (6M Cache, 3.00 GHz, 1333 Mhz FSB) that costs around $140. Can I get away with using a consumer grade CPU like a Ryzen 3? (or Celeron/Pentium?) (Note: It seems that the Xeon is a bit dated [2008] and it doesn't perform that well for that price)

2. What motherboard should I choose? Is the MSI ProSeries AMD Ryzen A320 DDR4 VR Ready USB 3 micro-ATX Motherboard (A320M PRO-VD PLUS) a good choice?

Questions about RAID 1:

1. Does every motherboard support raid? If not, does the one mentioned support RAID?

3. If yes, is this a good choice: Syba Combo SATA III (6.0Gbps) + IDE Ports (2+1) PCI-Express RAID 0, 1 Card SD-PEX40035?

Edited by Meet Vora
I am so sorry to have posted this here, I just noticed a thread specifically for Servers & NAS

17 minutes ago, Meet Vora said:

I am so sorry to have posted this here, I just noticed a thread specifically for Servers & NAS

You can just use the report function to 'report' your own post and ask the staff to move it to the right section :)

"Aeneas troianus est."

I'm allergic to social interaction in real life, don't talk to me in real life please.

don't forget to quote or tag (@marten.aap2.0) me when you reply!

1 hour ago, Meet Vora said:

Context:

Questions about RAID 1:

1. Current Xeons would be the Xeon E3-12xx v6 series for entry level and the E5 v4 series for the real server stuff. This is not even touching the Xeon Scalable stuff, which is far out of reach. 

To answer your question more directly, yes, you can get away with that Ryzen 1200 on a A320 board, BUT you will need a graphics card as the 1200 doesn't have an IGP. The Ryzen 3 2200G does but you lose 8 PCIe lanes with that chip. It might be a better idea to look at an i3-8100 with a B360 or H310 motherboard instead. If PCIe lanes don't matter, the 2200G is a good pick.

2. I'd go for a cheap motherboard with 4 RAM slots, for future expandability. Options include:

AMD: https://www.amazon.in/MSI-ProSeries-Motherboard-B350M-PRO-VDH/dp/B06XS53VR5 / https://www.amazon.in/ASRock-A320M-PRO4-Motherboard/dp/B06XNX9VMZ

Intel: https://www.amazon.in/Gigabyte-B360-HD3-LGA1151-Motherboard/dp/B07BQB1CMX

------------

RAID:

1. Yes, every board has a fake RAID controller onboard. Motherboard manufacturers list this compatibility on their website. Typically these boards support RAID 0/1/10.

2. Nope. This is usually a feature on any motherboard.

3. No that's a very low end thing with very limited bandwidth. Avoid crummy cheapo cards when something needs to be reliable. 

Also:

RAID is NOT A BACKUP. Very important! Always have a back-up solution in place that backs up the contents of your RAID array.

OS wise, go with what you're familiar with. ClearOS isn't free for commercial use and neither are many addons for it. 

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

to be honest if this little bit is all you need and its just for some storage you could just get a synolody ds218+ with 3TB drives in RAID 1 to have space for the future and also get an external 3TB drive to do regular backups of this system.

this will require minimal maintenance and is a system that uses very little power.

26 minutes ago, Pixel5 said:

to be honest if this little bit is all you need and its just for some storage you could just get a synolody ds218+ with 3TB drives in RAID 1 to have space for the future and also get an external 3TB drive to do regular backups of this system.

this will require minimal maintenance and is a system that uses very little power.

Indeed. Just hosting some files won't require more than a typical SoHo NAS can offer. 

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

Thank you, the information you guys have provided has helped me very much.

@Pixel5 @NelizMastr I have looked up ds218+, the only one that is available costs $740 on amazon at the moment.

More than anything, I am looking for a system where I can set it and forget it for long periods of time. I am aware, about the impossibility of this scenario, but I'd like to get as close to it as possible.

Is Intel Pentium ($75) a bad idea? I mean the Server won't be used for anything besides being a network data pool and backup solution. The clearOS website says that I'd only need a Dual Core CPU for 25-50 people! (we won't exceed 10)

@NelizMastr  The little data we have is very important. I am aware that ClearOS is a paid solution, but being a business, we don't mind spending a little for added security and protection against data loss (and $40 is nothing much).I cannot use other distros like CentOS, say because I know nothing about computers, setting up a server environment and all that, although I have become pretty familiar with linux over the last year.

One option I found was using something like WD My Cloud 2TB Personal Cloud Storage but backing up that drive itself would become an issue.

1 hour ago, NelizMastr said:

RAID is NOT A BACKUP. Very important! Always have a back-up solution in place that backs up the contents of your RAID array.

True!

@Pixel5 @NelizMastr I can see that using a Pentium with MSI H81M-E33 would cost me $135 (WOW!), but I've been unable to determine whether this motherboard supports Raid 1. I have checked the MSI website, but Raid support isn't mentioned for this one, or any other motherboard (even the high-end ones).

Would you guys recommend a Pentium config?

What's the budget? If it's just for file sharing on a low budget, get a Synology 2 or 4 bay NAS. A Synology DS218j is 220$, and HGST 4TB NAS drives are 140$ each. Total is 500$ canadian for 4TB in RAID1. Also get a 4TB portable USB drive (150$) for backups.

Don't use motherboard RAID. Set it up in software (mdadm in Linux....).

16 minutes ago, Sugadaddy said:

What's the budget? If it's just for file sharing on a low budget, get a Synology 2 or 4 bay NAS. A Synology DS218j is 220$, and HGST 4TB NAS drives are 140$ each. Total is 500$ canadian for 4TB in RAID1. Also get a 4TB portable USB drive (150$) for backups.

Don't use motherboard RAID. Set it up in software (mdadm in Linux....).

No budget really, but I am going as cheap as possible. I wasn't aware software Raid was possible, thanks for letting me know! I'm looking it up

Just a thought.. you get what you pay for.  Don't expect it to last for long period of time if everything you put in it is cheap especially a crappy PSU.  For a business I would think it prudent not to go that cheap, given a few more dollars could give you better performance and longevity. 

14 hours ago, Meet Vora said:

Context:

Questions about RAID 1:

Sandy Bridge Xeons are CHEAP!

Here's a quad core e3-1220 for $38

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Intel-Xeon-E3-1220-3-1GHz-8MB-5GT-s-4-Thread-SR00F-LGA-1155-Server-Processor/183183975865?hash=item2aa69da5b9:g:~bIAAOSw8Zha1n0g

Supermicro server board for $50 including heatsink. Dual network ports PLUS IPMI for remote management and six onboard SATA ports - no need to buy an add on card for more ports.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Supermicro-X9SCL-Server-MBD-Intel-C202-Chipset-Socket-H2-LGA-1155-HeatSink/273150331030?hash=item3f99074896:g:KVUAAOSwRypZjf-J

This board supports (requires?) ECC RAM. Which is a good thing because it's ECC and more importantly because older and slower server memory pricing hasn't gone full retard lately. I just bought 48GB of ECC DDR3 the othe day for $210 Canadian. Here's 8GB for $50

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Hynix-8GB-4x2GB-PC3-10600E-DDR3-1333Mhz-240PIN-CL9-ECC-Unbuffered-UDIMM-Memory/362188389340?hash=item54541c3bdc:g:rlwAAOSwA~VaNJv2

Get two of the 16GB Samsung SSDs. Yes 16GB. You set them up in a software RAID 1 mirror set for your boot device. You don't need anything bigger than that for your OS. NEVER, EVER put your OS and your data on the same drive. These are server grade drives and should last forever, but keeping them in a RAID 1 will ensure that if one of them fails, your OS will keep happily running along with no downtime for the users. These are going for $18, but I have seen and purchased some for as low as $12/each.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Samsung-16GB-MLC-2-5-SATA-II-SSD-Solid-State-Drive-MMBRE16G5MSP-0VA-R418N/322977790548?hash=item4b32f9fa54:g:CrUAAOSwh1haRxxY

For power supply, just go with Seasonic. In my experience and opinion they are absolutely bulletproof. Look what $25 gets you. An overkill 430 watt unit that will outlive you.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/SeaSonic-S12-II-SS-430GB-430W-ATX12V-SLI-Ready-CrossFire-Ready-80-PLUS-Certified/183186838796?hash=item2aa6c9550c:g:HycAAOSwMh5a2OKl

Get four drives for storage and you're good to go. You can get WD Red NAS 2tb drives for about $50. Put the four in RAID5 and you have 6TB of Storage with the ability to loose one data drive and not loose any data. Plus you can pick up a 6TB external drive for $100 and back up your complete RAID array for offsite storage.

Not counting your data drives, the auctions I linked add up to $199 US. Another $200 for the four drives and $100 for a external back up device puts you at $500. That's for top quality server grade hardware. 

Oh and FYI - that's the exact mobo and CPU that I was running on my Plex server. With 16GB of RAM, it has enough horsepower to transcode 4 simultaneous 1080p streams and saturate a 10gb network card while recording from 4 security cameras to a RAID1 array.  

23 hours ago, Meet Vora said:

@Pixel5 @NelizMastr I have looked up ds218+, the only one that is available costs $740 on amazon at the moment.

More than anything, I am looking for a system where I can set it and forget it for long periods of time. I am aware, about the impossibility of this scenario, but I'd like to get as close to it as possible.

i guess what you found was a system with drives already installed.

i just bought a 918+ with extra ram and SSD´s and its still less than what you seem to find the 218+ for