Too Good to be True external GPU solution

Hi,

So I follow a couple of Hardware groups on Facebook, and recently it has become a trend to rip on this guy, that is kickstarting an external GPU for a 1050, says it's great for mining and gaming, and the smallest GPU, yet there seem to be no patents filed or any real information as to how they've achieved some beefy benchmarks posted on the Kickstarter, the product is called Ex Core.

What are your thoughts on it?. Does it look legit?.

In my opinion it looks fishy, and I can't seem to understand what Market is it aimed for, for that price you can find a laptop with a dedicated graphics solution, but the Kickstarter poster seems to be relying on using mining and the benchmarks as a selling point.

considering that eGPUs at the moment are terrible, the performance loss on a 1050 woulnd't make it worth it.

$407 USD

they what?

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Hey Guys,

There is a new Kickstarter campaign out there that is clearly fooling many people, i want to share it here because of the ridiculousness of the claims and the promises made in the video as well as the communication from the campaign creators. (also good for a laugh)

Yeah that's funny, someone else posted here a while ago about how great they thought this product was. I don't doubt that they can make an external 1050 (actually, Lenovo just came out with a dock that also has a 1050 in it). But their claims are absurd, probably not outright lies though. Yes you CAN play VR, not very well, and it will probably too low of a framerate to not make you sick, but it will technically play. And it will technically be able to mine crypto's, not that well though. Their graph showing it out performing a desktop 1050 is probably a lie though.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

The more i read the worse it got. I follow another campaign (for the lulz) as well. the "PGS portable" another obvious scam. But its crazy the audacity and ease these people have at getting away with all of this.

In that form factor this thing is going to overheat like a motherfucker.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

I read an article about this that reported it had 4GB of vram, but it's not a TI. I thought at the time it was what helped performance vs a standard desktop 1050, but I hadn't seen the hilariously bad kickstarter video.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad