gtx 1180 leaks and infofmation from wccftech

Guest savagepain
6 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Using tensor cores for machine learning in games at runtime doesn't make sense to me. It makes more sense during development to fine tune things.

But I don't want AI (the enemy anyway) to get progressively better as the game ages or the game needs time to mature or something and I have to run it.

Yeah they won't be doing that, worse yet AI like that will kill the gaming experience lol.  The reason why great game AI are good is because they have errors in them so we can beat them, otherwise, if a computer AI can learn it will over come its errors lol.  Not good for game play.

On 4/20/2018 at 7:34 AM, laminutederire said:

I personally don't care that much since I don't have any money for those :P haven't they starting producing prototypes for Navi though?

That and it is rumoured the new PlayStation based on Navi could arrived for Christmas. It would make sense that Navi would be ready before and released for PC as am incentive for developers to get to know its arch in practice before the PS5 would be released. It would also make sense that they'd produce the ps5 parts before and delaying the PC parts afterwards as well.

No they have not, 7nm is no where near ready for even risk production.

Rumor has it, 7nm and 5nm are both in trouble right now, don't know how true the rumor is.  So pile of salt.  Up till last week it sounded like 7nm was on track.  Rumors state its pushed out till end of 2019 now.  When I get time later tonight I'll link up the article that takes about the problems (not the time tables), time tables I have gotten from EE's.

here ya go, just got more time

https://www.techpowerup.com/243235/challenges-with-7-nm-5-nm-euv-technologies-could-lead-to-delays-in-process-ttm

5 hours ago, Razor01 said:

No they have not, 7nm is no where near ready for even risk production.

Rumor has it, 7nm and 5nm are both in trouble right now, don't know how true the rumor is.  So pile of salt.  Up till last week it sounded like 7nm was on track.  Rumors state its pushed out till end of 2019 now.  When I get time later tonight I'll link up the article that takes about the problems (not the time tables), time tables I have gotten from EE's.

here ya go, just got more time

https://www.techpowerup.com/243235/challenges-with-7-nm-5-nm-euv-technologies-could-lead-to-delays-in-process-ttm

GloFo's is going to be late in 2018 before Vega 7nm shows up. (Vega 20?) TSMC expects to have 7nm at some point this year, but they've actually been cagey on the details. Samsung should already be ramping their 8nm/7nm process to begin risk production mid-year. And Intel is currently still going, "everything is fine. it's fine. how are you?". 

https://twitter.com/ogawa_tter/status/987132131909357568

Turns out TSMC is still doing 5% of their business on their 90nm node. Though that they still do greater than .25um as 3% of their business might be most fascinating. (There's still some nodes from the 90s around because they have specific uses, but it's still funny to see.) 

7 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

GloFo's is going to be late in 2018 before Vega 7nm shows up. (Vega 20?) TSMC expects to have 7nm at some point this year, but they've actually been cagey on the details. Samsung should already be ramping their 8nm/7nm process to begin risk production mid-year. And Intel is currently still going, "everything is fine. it's fine. how are you?". 

https://twitter.com/ogawa_tter/status/987132131909357568

Turns out TSMC is still doing 5% of their business on their 90nm node. Though that they still do greater than .25um as 3% of their business might be most fascinating. (There's still some nodes from the 90s around because they have specific uses, but it's still funny to see.) 

If they can't predict where errors will occur with EUV tech, They are going get pushed out.

Intel is not using EUV for 10nm.

https://semiengineering.com/euvs-new-problem-areas/

more info on EUV tech

OK have more time now.  EUV is process to improve yields by reducing steps.  Each step creates an increase of possible errors that can occur.  So by reducing steps it improves yields.

EUV also by reducing steps drops the cost on a per wafer level too.

So now if they can't predict or know what is causing errors with EUV technology, it will defeat both purposes that it is there for lol. 

I don't know how true this rumor is, all I can say is if it is what they are saying in that extreme tech article, if they are at this stage and still have unknowns about it, it will be likely delayed, so right now its early 2019 for complex 7nm chips, it can get easily pushed out to end of 2019. This is what EE's told me.

Right now to get Navi or any 7nm product out by early 2019 they have to be in risk production.  It takes about a good year once chips come back from that to fully get ready for mass production.  They can expedite the time lines a bit but at most 1 quarter? Maybe a little bit more.  This is only for chips that don't require extensive validation too.

41 minutes ago, Razor01 said:

OK have more time now.  EUV is process to improve yields by reducing steps.  Each step creates an increase of possible errors that can occur.  So by reducing steps it improves yields.

EUV also by reducing steps drops the cost on a per wafer level too.

So now if they can't predict or know what is causing errors with EUV technology, it will defeat both purposes that it is there for lol. 

I don't know how true this rumor is, all I can say is if it is what they are saying in that extreme tech article, if they are at this stage and still have unknowns about it, it will be likely delayed, so right now its early 2019 for complex 7nm chips, it can get easily pushed out to end of 2019. This is what EE's told me.

Right now to get Navi or any 7nm product out by early 2019 they have to be in risk production.  It takes about a good year once chips come back from that to fully get ready for mass production.  They can expedite the time lines a bit but at most 1 quarter? Maybe a little bit more.  This is only for chips that don't require extensive validation too.

EUV is supposed to happen in the 2nd round of "7nm", the first round are all DUV. Last I've seen, they've been saying it is for the "7nm+" realm. So we should see 7nm parts before EUV is online, but EUV is still "that thing to come" right now. If they get EUV working, expect those specific nodes to be around for a long, long time.

Just now, Taf the Ghost said:

EUV is supposed to happen in the 2nd round of "7nm", the first round are all DUV. Last I've seen, they've been saying it is for the "7nm+" realm. So we should see 7nm parts before EUV is online, but EUV is still "that thing to come" right now. If they get EUV working, expect those specific nodes to be around for a long, long time.

That is true, for TSMC, GF and Samsung their 7nm 1st gen are supposed to be using EUV for some of their layers from what I understand.

15 minutes ago, Razor01 said:

That is true, for TSMC, GF and Samsung their 7nm 1st gen are supposed to be using EUV for some of their layers from what I understand.

Sort of hilariously, Intel appears to be the last major fab that'll bring in EUV, and they're having the biggest next process issues. We're definitely getting near the end of the way things currently go.

3 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Sort of hilariously, Intel appears to be the last major fab that'll bring in EUV, and they're having the biggest next process issues. We're definitely getting near the end of the way things currently go.

Well I think its the inherent risk of bring something new online without getting things in order first lol.

sweet, i'm still keeping my 1070 as i don't think ray tracing is going to popular as only the next gen GPU's will be supporting it and unless you can get a lot of people to get it, developers aren't going to support it as it limits who can play their games

i'm predicting that ray tracing will turn into laser disk, promising loads of things too early for at out current point in time

(if you don't know what laser disk is, watch technology connections's videos on it 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy0tKL1T7wFoYcxCe0xjN6Q )

but circumstances usually do the EXACT opposite of what i say, so have fun with those rays tracing those graphics!

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N