Garmin Smartwatches/Fitness Trackers

I'm looking to get a fitness tracker or smart watch, but I have a few must-haves which seem to be met by some of the Garmin accessories, so I'm hoping someone here has experience with them. The things I need in a device like this are the following:

• Always-on display
  • GPS
  • Water resistant enough to swim
  • Receive text alerts
  • At least 2 days of battery life without the GPS

The ones I'm looking at now are the Vivosport and Vivoactive 3.

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/16/2018 at 3:11 AM, greenmonk10 said:

I'm looking to get a fitness tracker or smart watch, but I have a few must-haves which seem to be met by some of the Garmin accessories, so I'm hoping someone here has experience with them. The things I need in a device like this are the following:

• Always-on display
  • GPS
  • Water resistant enough to swim
  • Receive text alerts
  • At least 2 days of battery life without the GPS

The ones I'm looking at now are the Vivosport and Vivoactive 3.

Thanks!

Having had a few watched myself, I highly recommend one watch for fitness ( running, cycling, swimming etc ) and a separate one for everything else.

watches like the Samsung, Apple watches are "great" for the business and personal side of things, but personally don't hold a candle to purpose built sports watches.

I have the Sony SW3 (old now, but still serves me very well) and a Tomtom Spark (music)

Cpu : AMD Ryzen 3 1200 (3.8Ghz), Motherboard : Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 - RAM : 8GB DDR4 2933 Team (Vulkan) memory, GPU : MSI GTX 980 4GB Case : Antec P50, Storage : 120GB Samsung SSD, 3TB WD Blue, PSU : 530w Thermaltake SPS-530MPC, Cooling : Artic freezer Pro 7, OS : Windows 10. 

One question: do you have an Android phone, or iPhone?  That'll dictate your choices to some extent.

I'm personally not too attached to always-on displays.  They sound nice and do have occasional advantages, but more often than not I'm actively flicking my wrist to check the time anyway.  Always-on is most useful for oblique glances when you're sitting down, rather than checking your stats when you're in the middle of a workout.

You'd get a Garmin watch primarily if you want detailed fitness stats (say, things like VO2) and complex workouts.  Otherwise, you could probably get away with something like a Fitbit Versa or (paired to an iPhone) an Apple Watch.

21 hours ago, Commodus said:

Fitbit Versa

No GPS on the versa, given the price of the device I think reviewers have been very generous in excusing this fact. Lots of people wana go for a run without the need to take a smartphone with them and track their route. Apple Watches are a good option though if you own an iPhone. Perhaps the Samsung Gear Sport if not. Both of these work as good fitness trackers and smartwatches.

If money is not a problem the Garmin Fenix 5 is often considered the gold standard in fitness wearables.

Processor: i7 7700k@Stock GPU: GTX 1080 MSI Armor OC  Mobo: Asus Prime Z270-A RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB 3200 MHz CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 SSD: Sandisk Ultra 2 960GB Case: Phanteks P400s PSU: Gigabyte B700H Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz Mouse: Logitech G900 Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ MX Blues

1 hour ago, Rupe said:

No GPS on the versa, given the price of the device I think reviewers have been very generous in excusing this fact. Lots of people wana go for a run without the need to take a smartphone with them and track their route. Apple Watches are a good option though if you own an iPhone. Perhaps the Samsung Gear Sport if not. Both of these work as good fitness trackers and smartwatches.

If money is not a problem the Garmin Fenix 5 is often considered the gold standard in fitness wearables.

Damn, forgot about the GPS.  The Versa is a pretty well-rounded device from what I understand, but I guess there's a reason why it costs $199.